When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Keyless works issue? Need confirmation...

dbutlerman

Hey Guys! I went to set the time on my Gen. Tudor 79090 (ETA 2824-2) this morning and crown and stem pulled out. I had recently changed the hands (had the movement out of the watch) and recased everything without problem - so I didn't think there was any problems with the keyless works, but I also don't think I've changed the time since then...so what do you guys think? Did I screw up the keyless works? Or could it be something else? Anything weird about the Tudor ETA 2824-2 vs a Regular ETA 2824-2? If nothing different I'll just do it tomorrow - just thought I'd run it past the experts...

Thanks!

Good luck Db2!

I've screwed a few up and also had happen what happened to you..stem just pulled out.

If you have success, let me know how hard it was. I haven't had enough time reading the tutorials yet to try to fix one.

My first 'repair' was a keyless works. From what I had read on the forums, it's a very common problem and with most movements. Usually, it happens when the release for the crown/stem is depressed too hard. The first time I paid a watchmaker $25 to reset it. I figured knowing my 'touch' I better learn how or it would get real expensive. It's not hard to do, just takes patience and one step at a time, nice and easy. If I can do it, anyone can!

Every time I've f***ed up keyless works, I've been able to set time but not wind. But maybe that's just me repeating same error over and over...

I guess it depends on how the works gets screwed up. I couldn't do anything - the stem just pulled out - no hacking, date adjustment, time adjust - just totally loose.

I was able to get mine fixed by following sneeds directions (per JoeyB - THANKS FOR TH POST!). It was a fairly straight forward job....Thanks for the help! My guess is when I installed the hands last time the finger was just barely in the castle gear, and since then, something got bumped and the finger jumped the rest of the way out. But we're all sorted now and back to keeping near perfect time (+2 seconds per day)...

Make sure that you always release the stem when it is in the time set position on 28xx movements

That's what I normally do - I am not sure what I did different this time - like I said - this is the first time I've had this happen - and I've done a lot of stem removals...

There is in most cases another solution for this problem, without to take the hands and dial off: You can see in the turtorial the part mentioned with "this thing". It can be pushed from outside (there is a gap!) with the screwdriver back is the seat! :)

Few years ago when the UPO comes on the market this happened first time to me (I pulled always the stem in winding position out), and I went to a old local watchmaker. He show me how I can do it by myself...and it works every time. :)

And don't forget - like FxrAndy mentioned in his post - take the stem always in time set position out!

Do you mean there is a gap between the dial and the movement? Or from the top plate?

Exactly, between the plates is a small gap. You can see the part with the small bolt which is out of the seat. Just push it and it will clip in. Problem should be fixed.

Biggest mistake is always to panic and try to fix the stem with force, if there get one of the parts bent you loose the game. Even if you get everything in place, you have keyless positions. And it's Impossible to spot the bent part, you have to change most of them to get it working 100%.

@ woof - winding position.

@db2 - Glad to see you got it fixed. Just out of curiosity, did you try to push the stem back in when it came out originally? I have an ETA 2824 from a Solvil and Titus in one of my watches, and every so often when I pull out the stem to set the time it just pulls right out of the watch. I carefully re-insert it all the way back in (to the winding position) and I can feel it "catch" again and voila'! It works just fine again and in the time setting position feels tight and snug no matter how hard I pull on it. It's weird, but . . .

@db2 - Glad to see you got it fixed. Just out of curiosity, did you try to push the stem back in when it came out originally? I have an ETA 2824 from a Solvil and Titus in one of my watches, and every so often when I pull out the stem to set the time it just pulls right out of the watch. I carefully re-insert it all the way back in (to the winding position) and I can feel it "catch" again and voila'! It works just fine again and in the time setting position feels tight and snug no matter how hard I pull on it. It's weird, but . . .

Yeah - tried that a couple of times - insert, insert while turning...nothing. Just didn't want to catch...