When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vinage Submariner Experts needed

correctime

I'm entertaining a 16800 Submariner build and would greatly appreciate some input from the early Submariner pro's.

Will a TW 16610 case (non-engraved rehaut of course) with lug holes drilled be acurrate enough for the build ??

If not, are there any cases available anywhere that would look more acurrate and would accept a gen dial and crystal ??

And are there any acurrate 93150 rep bracelets with the 580 end pieces or is it better to go with a gen Bracelet??

Any info on building a Frankin or very acurrate looking 16800 Transitional Sub is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I was going to use my MBW16610 case for a 16800 but the rehaut is too deep. The 16800 has a shallower rehaut than the 16610. The 16610 Noobmariner is pretty much bang on, except that it wont take any aftermarket crystals. If you found a Noob case, drilled the lugs, installed a gen dial, crown and insert, you would have a pretty smokin 16800 franken. As for the bracelet, find a nice hollow link 93150, add 580 end links and a gen clasp and you are set.

dizz

For a 16800 build you need 593 end links. 501 end links will also work but 580's will not fit. As for gen parts, if you have a chance and are interested shoot me a PM. I have some gen 16800 parts for your build.

I have a gen insert and pearl also, (but it will not fit a noob bezel)

That's all great information.

I'm not sure if the Noob Sub crystal has a decent cyclop.

Andy...can you elaborate on the special "holder" used and perhaps where I could get a couple of them.

I've got gen 16610 and 16570 dials and the same problem of having only 0.2mm and 0.3mm exists with installing them in the Noob Exp.II and TW Sub cases.

The watch on the left is a gen 16800 and the one on the right is a gen relumed dial in a noob case with lugholes

P1000185.jpg

Bracelet is a 93150 w/ 593 ends, insert is a noob insert with a WM pearl. It's been a good rep, it's WR and good for swimming.

My next project is to put the movement and dial in a Star Time case- to be continued...

I made it my self basically it is a movement holder that extends up from the movement to hold the dial central as well and stop it moving left and right up and down ect

That's great work Andy.Perhaps I could commission you to build me one if I decide to go the Noob direction.

Thanks for sharing alligoat.

I gotta say that build looks very good to me.

Where'd you come by the 93150/593...or is that a gen oyster set up ?

And the open 6 & 9 DW ??

Great looking pearl on the Noob insert.

The 93150/593 is gen- well worn and it came off another gen 16800 where I installed an MBW 93150 w/ 593 ends.The datewheel is older with the open 6's and 9's- hard to find these days although jmb might be making them.As has been mentioned, noob crystal is not gen spec and neither is the bezel assembly. Fitting a gen insert in there requires filing the insert OD down to a smaller diameter- i.e. you're wasting it. BK's old trick of a jewelryoutlet555 insert with a WM pearl would give you the correct older 4 in 40 on the insert- the noob insert has the modern 4, c. 2004 or so.

I'm not sure how transferable the datewheel would be, but the budget 16610 I bought on CQout for a 16800 conversion, has an a21j movement, and the datewheel has curved-topped 3s, and open 6s and 9s, which I've been told is correct for an early 80s 16800 :) I'm keeping the rest of the build strictly budget/rep, with a pieced together bracelet I've had a few years, and will be re-finishing the 16610 dial to achieve a 16800 dial (other than the SwissMade/T25 text, which is obviously unchangeable :lol: ) The only 'quality' part I'm going to use, is a Yuki pearl :) Best of luck with your build, really looking forward to seeing the results :good::drinks: