When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Butcher a Mint Vintage Tudor Sub?

mastersdom

Before I go ahead and make irreversible changes to the mint 79190 I have infront of me, I'd love to hear opinions, especially any saying I am crazy and don't do it.

My plans are:

1. Superdome Crystal

2. Piano wire solid 2mm milsub type lugs.

3. Military bezel insert.

I've already re-lumed it in blue lume as the tritium had completely decayed.

I should add that it has a full box set and certificate with it so it would lose a hell of a lot in value but it's a keeper.

I'll take a pic now. Have already changed the hands. I'll show with the bezel overlaid as I haven't fitted it yet. It's the ultra rare sapphire crystal 79190 version so I need new bits before I can fit.

It's genuine but purists would already knock it back because of the re-lume.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Stop [censored] around and change back the hands, im sorry but you have a very nice watch here and eighter your crazy or you just dont give a damn.

Stop [censored] around and change back the hands, im sorry but you have a very nice watch here and eighter your crazy or you just dont give a damn.

I just want my "perfect" watch. Obviously it is the incorect bezel too. It will be my perfect watch with those changes. Pointless me buying a real Milsub because I want to wear it every day.

Great lume job!Did you do it yourself?

Hey thanks OriginalScope. Yep I did, but decided to go for a superbright type of blue. It is much brighter than SLuminova IMHO. I haven't re-lumed the hands in blue yet because it is such a pain in the backside. I guess the only irreversible change would be the lugs.

DON'T DO IT! The 79190 is a beautiful watch! It's not a big deal to change the hands or insert - but don't solder in spring bars - that's irreversible! If you're wanting a milsub you're still going to be wrong with this model with the Sapphire crystal - buy a Rep and build what you want - but don't tear into a full boxed and paper'd 79190. If you don't want it - sell it - but don't "wreck it".

• Like 1

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Why? The changes so far can be reversed. I am very wealthy so not bothered about the $$$. I just want my perfect every day watch without worrying about getting kidnapped :)

im very happy for you mr m, do what you think is the best. it's just when i see things like this i cant ubderstand it. you see im far far from wealthy and i will never own i tudor like this so this just throws me of the sadle, it's like slaping me in the face, twice... i hope you will reach the perfect watch for you, but to me, that was the perfect watch. you did a fantastic work on the lume :)

DON'T DO IT! The 79190 is a beautiful watch! It's not a big deal to change the hands or insert - but don't solder in spring bars - that's irreversible! If you're wanting a milsub you're still going to be wrong with this model with the Sapphire crystal - buy a Rep and build what you want - but don't tear into a full boxed and paper'd 79190. If you don't want it - sell it - but don't "wreck it".

Think I'm now convinced to leave the lugs alone. All the rest can be changed back.

im very happy for you mr m, do what you think is the best. it's just when i see things like this i cant ubderstand it. you see im far far from wealthy and i will never own i tudor like this so this just throws me of the sadle, it's like slaping me in the face, twice... i hope you will reach the perfect watch for you, but to me, that was the perfect watch. you did a fantastic work on the lume :)

No, I think you are right on the irreversible changes. It would maybe be sacrilege.

Hey never ever say never!

Thanks for the lume comment.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

I think the relume of the dial has already taken care of that item... :(

if you meen the blue lume then yes, but he did a amazing job on the lume job, it looks great!

I think the relume of the dial has already taken care of that item... :(

See, I just don't get that comment at all. I had an original dial that was broken. Broken because it no longer glowed. Broken because the watch was less suitable for diving. Now it is working again so I don't see how that is wrecking it. The service dials have Luminova.

LOL Okay I'll try it in green :) Saves me having to lume any hands :)

Think I'm now convinced to leave the lugs alone. All the rest can be changed back.

Whew! Glad we were able to change you mind on that. I don't care about the lume as much - The tritium may or may not have been dead - I thought it was dead on my 79090 until I woke up in the middle of the night and found it glowing. It just glows really dimly and you can't tell until after your eyes have FULLY adjusted...

• Like 1

By what The Zigmeister is saying is you wrecked the dial. There are service dials for a reason. The "normal" rule of thumb is not to mess with an original dial unless you have a backup. If you do, mess with one. if you don't, why destroy it?

I for example have an extra 16800 matte dial that has had the tritium washed off. that's being lumed to match the luminova service hands. When done, it will work but I will put the originals away and not touch them. I did the same for my 1680.

Wealth or not, it doesn't make financial sense why you would mess with a gen even to the extent you did .

By what The Zigmeister is saying is you wrecked the dial. There are service dials for a reason. The "normal" rule of thumb is not to mess with an original dial unless you have a backup. If you do, mess with one. if you don't, why destroy it?

I for example have an extra 16800 matte dial that has had the tritium washed off. that's being lumed to match the luminova service hands. When done, it will work but I will put the originals away and not touch them. I did the same for my 1680.

Wealth or not, it doesn't make financial sense why you would mess with a gen even to the extent you did .

I guess it is horses for courses. I would never modify any of my real Daytonas or real Subs, but somehow it feels okay to modify the Tudor. Maybe it's because of the 2824 inside, albeit moidified.

Yes I do have a spare one ;) I have a spare Tudor Sub too (another full set).