When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16800 Experts needed again

correctime

I hate to be the fly in the ointment but that looks EXACTLY like the cases from you-know-who... Can you get some good pics of the CGs and Lugs? That's where I'll be able to see the difference.

As for the bezel, I have two: one for a modern 16610 which is on my Sean case

Fly in the ointment....?

Not at all Brother.

I've not actually seen the cases from "you know who" first hand but it's not likely this is one of them.

Here's some better pictures.

And "E"...how's that for perfect stem alignment...(if the stem hole in the mvt. shows well enough) :)

That's an interesting hybrid case. The lugs appear to have the 1680 profile and not a 16800/168000/16610 profile. Too thick. Yet take a sapphire crystal and have a modern case crown guard profile. The 16800 profile is slimmer. Same profile as the 16700 and 16710.

It's also missing the gasket groove under the retainer.

It is a nice case though.

CT is having major watch joy! Love it when a plan comes together.

Indeed I am brother.

I'm very pleased with the progress and results .

CG's compared to the TC CG's are noticably fatter and the 9 million series 16800 case didn't come with the gasket groove so I'm pleased with the case so far.

BUT...gavidoc is right...the lugs are too thick and will need some work.

The curvature of them will too.

Out of curiousity I tried a TC Bracelet on it...fit is so snug I could put it on the wrist without spring bars... the lug holes and SEL SB holes lined up perfectly. :)

BUT...the curvature of the SEL and lug curvature aren't a perfect match.

Does anyone happen to know if the curvature of the SEL on the TC 93250 is the same as the 593 end pieces ??

Edited by correctime

CT, maybe the build should then be a very very early 16800 and see how it goes. E

The dial won't allow that Brother :(

I believe with the tops of the lugs trimmed down by a professional it's gonna work out just fine :)

There are quite alot of variations in the 16800 cases...

http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=295500&rid=0

http://www.google.co...iw=1680&bih=830

Edited by correctime

That's an interesting hybrid case. The lugs appear to have the 1680 profile and not a 16800/168000/16610 profile. Too thick. Yet take a sapphire crystal and have a modern case crown guard profile. The 16800 profile is slimmer. Same profile as the 16700 and 16710.

It's also missing the gasket groove under the retainer.

It is a nice case though.

That explains why I had to shave my lugs down. I think the CGs are a little stubby compared to the gen case too but I solved that by shaving the outsides of them ever so slightly.

Isn't the gasket groove mainly in the retainer?

Hate to hijack a thread(I do really) but what do you guys think of this dial for a 16800 using the ST case?

16800angle.jpg

16800close.jpg

I'm not keen on the re-lume work, but that patina is very interesting... I'm wondering if it is in the process of 'going matte',I bet it would be interesting to see in direct light with the naked eye :good: Have to admit though, it I were to get such a dial, I would re-lume it, and then matte varnish it myself :whistling:

That explains why I had to shave my lugs down. I think the CGs are a little stubby compared to the gen case too but I solved that by shaving the outsides of them ever so slightly.

Yes...typically it is...but I'm not an expert on vintage cases.

No doubt mine will need top side lug-shaping work....it's almost as if the lugs curve ever so slightly up once they're past the bezel ring area.

As for any other shaping or shaving, I'll have to really study the 9 million series 16800.

Like everyhing esle there are simply too many variations in the same case models from series to series to acurrately pin-point having a "perfect" or "not-so perfect" case overall.

And as with any aftermarket case, who knows what was used for referrence in 3D'ing to CAD file the case for cutting...1680/16800/168000/16610...or some of each....??

New, NOS, polished, non-polished original...who knows ?? :)

Edited by correctime

Got my retainers confused. 1680 is in the case. 16800 in the retainer. Doh.

Yes...typically it is...but I'm not an expert on vintage cases.

No doubt mine will need top side lug-shaping work....it's almost as if the lugs curve ever so slightly up once they're past the bezel ring area.

As for any other shaping or shaving, I'll have to really study the 9 million series 16800.

Like everyhing esle there are simply too many variations in the same case models from series to series to acurrately pin-point having a "perfect" or "not-so perfect" case overall.

And as with any aftermarket case, who knows what was used for referrence in 3D'ing to CAD file the case for cutting...1680/16800/168000/16610...or some of each....??

New, NOS, polished, non-polished original...who knows ?? :)

There isn't that much variance in the case profiles so you should be ok.

I had a 7 million 16800, a 16800 case with no serial that was damaged, have a 8 million 16800 and a E serial 16700. All 4 had/have the same case profile. Many times variance is due to polishing over the years but the overall curve and profile is similar.

There was a change when they went away from lug holes but not much.

There isn't that much variance in the case profiles so you should be ok.

I had a 7 million 16800, a 16800 case with no serial that was damaged, have a 8 million 16800 and a E serial 16700. All 4 had/have the same case profile. Many times variance is due to polishing over the years but the overall curve and profile is similar.

There was a change when they went away from lug holes but not much.

Great info Gavidoc.

Are there any differences in the curvatures of the different end pieces used...ie 501, 504, 593 ?? (and I wonder if the curvature is the same as the 93250 SEL )

I'll be going with the 93150/ 593 end pieces if I can source a good quality Bracelet. (gen would be great but they're so $$$ )

501 is for 16610. 593 is for 16800. but they all fit. even 580 will. i dont think 93250 SEL will fit 16800. i tried the newer bracelet on my friend's early 16610 with lug holes and the end link dont fit. i suspect i have to bend the spring bar a little to try to get that mounted, but havent tried it for obvious reasons.

if your budget allows, get a gen brown dial! looks amazing! think i saw one listed on vrm some time this week!

501 is for 16610. 593 is for 16800. but they all fit. even 580 will. i dont think 93250 SEL will fit 16800. i tried the newer bracelet on my friend's early 16610 with lug holes and the end link dont fit. i suspect i have to bend the spring bar a little to try to get that mounted, but havent tried it for obvious reasons.

if your budget allows, get a gen brown dial! looks amazing! think i saw one listed on vrm some time this week!

You're right. The 593's came on the 16800.

But aside from the number are they all shaped the same ??

It's the correct conture of the lug shape I'm after.

The lug shape will have to be addressed....I certainly don't want to shape the lugs to any one specific curvature.

I'd guess they're all the same....yes?

Edited by correctime