When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Small GMT Hand for Rolex 6542 and early 1675

JoeyB

I notice that every one of these pictures has a chapter ring dial. Is that the only proper fitment for a small-arrow 24h hand?

No. The pictures are of 6542s, and all had the chapter ring OCC dial and small arrow GMT hand. The 1675 used the small arrow GMT hand through the 1960s initially on 'Superlative' chapter ring dials, then on the open dials before changing to the large arrow.

No. The pictures are of 6542s, and all had the chapter ring OCC dial and small arrow GMT hand. The 1675 used the small arrow GMT hand through the 1960s initially on 'Superlative' chapter ring dials, then on the open dials before changing to the large arrow.

Thanks, just what I needed to hear. I'm off to order a 24h hand!

The arrow base or bottom line width is 1.3mm, the length from the base to the point/tip is 1.5mm. Not equilateral. I looked at many, most were this measurement, but most could have been aftermarket.

It is copied off of Classic Watch Parts $65 hand.6542%20a.JPG

I found the very tip to be over or past the chapter ring, which I've seen on many genuine 6542s, and took 1500 sandpaper and a few gentle swipes to correct it. I didn't know if it was my dial or the hand. I wanted to get Ken's factory to make them to fit the gen Rolex and ETA 2893-2, 1.8mm, and capable of being broached to 2mm. They couldn't do that. Like most aftermarket parts a little tweak can be expected. And as always, perfection costs more. :whistling:

Would that mean that one of the hands sized for an ETA could be made to fit on an Asian GMT movement?

In my own research the 6542, I've seen a couple featuring larger GMT hands. Would that have been an indication of an 'end of run' watch, or one which had had the GMT hand replaced by the RSC? :g: I haven't yet found reference of one featuring an all red GMT hand, so I'm figuring they were solely a 1675 fitting :)

To the best of my knowledge, 6542s were only produced with small GMT hands (none red, at least I have never seen a verified gen with a red GMT hand). If you find a '42 with a large or red hand, the original hand was either replaced with a later 1675 hand or an aftermarket part. And I have never heard of a case where an RSC fit a '42 with a large GMT hand.

Would that mean that one of the hands sized for an ETA could be made to fit on an Asian GMT movement?

In my own research the 6542, I've seen a couple featuring larger GMT hands. Would that have been an indication of an 'end of run' watch, or one which had had the GMT hand replaced by the RSC? :g: I haven't yet found reference of one featuring an all red GMT hand, so I'm figuring they were solely a 1675 fitting :)

The hand sized for the ETA 2893-2 is the same as the size for the gen movement, 1.8mm. The hand sized for the Asian DG3804B and the GMT modified Asian 2836/2846 and GMT modified Swiss ETA 2836/2846 are the same, 2.0mm.

I would recommend that you measure the GMT pinion on your watch because I have seen 'variations' from our Asian factories.

I'd agree with freddy on the big GMT hand. Rolex used this small GMT hand on all the 6542, and on the 1675 through the 1960s.Sometime in the late `60s, I read 1969, they went to the big GMT hand. The factory might have changed them when sent in for service in the `70s and later, but only Rolex knows that for certain.

To the best of my knowledge, 6542s were only produced with small GMT hands (none red, at least I have never seen a verified gen with a red GMT hand). If you find a '42 with a large or red hand, the original hand was either replaced with a later 1675 hand or an aftermarket part. And I have never heard of a case where an RSC fit a '42 with a large GMT hand.

The hand sized for the ETA 2893-2 is the same as the size for the gen movement, 1.8mm. The hand sized for the Asian DG3804B and the GMT modified Asian 2836/2846 and GMT modified Swiss ETA 2836/2846 are the same, 2.0mm.

I would recommend that you measure the GMT pinion on your watch because I have seen 'variations' from our Asian factories.

I'd agree with freddy on the big GMT hand. Rolex used this small GMT hand on all the 6542, and on the 1675 through the 1960s.Sometime in the late `60s, I read 1969, they went to the big GMT hand. The factory might have changed them when sent in for service in the `70s and later, but only Rolex knows that for certain.

Many thanks, guys :good::drinks: The more I research into the GMT's it seems there's much more 'overlap' of parts/models compared to the Submariners, so thought best to clarify as to what was what :)

Yep, freddy knows his stuff.

He does indeed :) We may not see eye to eye when it comes to the etiquette of project aesthetics, but I can't think of another member with such indepth knowledge of the vintage Rolexes :good::drinks:

freddy is a perfectionist....................If you want to know how to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear ask me!

Well, like they say, God is in the details. But that does not mean 1 cannot employ perfectionism while turning that sow's ear into a silk purse. My Phase I '42 was the epitome of a bargain basement build, but I think it turned out perfectly. ;)

Your Phase I was my inspiration. And I had the benefit of your trailblazing. But I wouldn't call it 'bargain basement', I think your genuine Brevet crown cost more than my watch!

I was a regular on another site when I got together with RolexAddict about vintage GMTs. I knew nothing other than the 'Retro' 16710. He got my education started.

We went on a quest to find the dial without the 'Date' lettering. I came here because this site has the very best and most knowledgeable people in vintage Rolex. That's when I saw your Phase I. The rest, as they say, is s good thing!

It's a good thing to see so many 6542 builds now, from your 'Executive Suite' all genuine (Yes, the insert is a genuine 'JoeyB'!!) all the way to my 'Mail Room', and everything in between, now including the cartels. Your efforts made it all possible, and I think you deserve full credit for it. I would have never even known about a 6542 had it not been for you, and thanks to you it is my 'Grail', and my very first build. I'm building my third now, just waiting on the hand from Rafflestime, to be my daily watch.

Like they say, 'You da' man!'. :notworthy:

Now, enough of this mush. What have you done for me lately? :whistling:

Thanks. I hope my new digital caliper arrives soon :)

Hope you didn't buy it from the same guy I used... mine looks really cool but everything I measure is 0.126"

:huh:

I had a discussion about this very topic with Rob (jatucka) at VRF. I have a period correct gen 1961 1675 Corino with a Tropical Glit Chapter Ring SCOC dial (no service parts) that has the longer GMT hand and was anxious to know if this was possibly incorrect for my watch. This is what Rob had to say;

"You know, the mini hands are actually of 3 kinds (not two ...)

There are the very first ones, for the 6542

Then there are the ones for the Chapter Rings 1675

Then, the 3rd kind, are for the "open" Gilt Dials (from +/- 1mil on)

The lenghts are different for the 3 kinds of hands

These hands were so mixed up alot of Chapter Ring 1675 were seen with the "longer hand", so dont go mad for this "

4b76bbcc.jpg

52e3e0a3-1.jpg

54745cdd.jpg

I had a discussion about this very topic with Rob (jatucka) at VRF. I have a period correct gen 1961 1675 Corino with a Tropical Glit Chapter Ring SCOC dial (no service parts) that has the longer GMT hand and was anxious to know if this was possibly incorrect for my watch. This is what Rob had to say;

"You know, the mini hands are actually of 3 kinds (not two ...)

There are the very first ones, for the 6542

Then there are the ones for the Chapter Rings 1675

Then, the 3rd kind, are for the "open" Gilt Dials (from +/- 1mil on)

The lenghts are different for the 3 kinds of hands

These hands were so mixed up alot of Chapter Ring 1675 were seen with the "longer hand", so dont go mad for this "

That would explain a lot of what I've looked at. And for $25, the key to this hand, I'd accept that explanation as gospel. ;)