When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage divers - what's collectible?

Nanuq

Vintage Rolex prices are through the roof and we've had many discussions at RWG about "who's next?" Years ago I picked Doxa out of the crowd, for several reasons, and their values are climbing nicely. I think it's time for another pick.

Consider vintage Certina DS divers, especially the early ones. Like Doxa, the first ones had domed plexiglas crystals :wub: but unlike Doxa they use more traditional case designs. Certina is lacking features to make it distinct, like orange dials and the Cousteau tie-in. But they also share features from other more expensive brands of the era, like the Kon-Tiki and Fifty Fathoms. Plus that ultra cool turtle caseback... how can you go wrong? And did I mention so far it's $185?

Here's my pick this week, a DS-2 with all the cool early features. If this had an orange dial it would be top of my "gotta have it" list. Enjoy!

post-32-134107591719.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230818760187

I think you are raising a very good point here Nanuq.

Speaking for myself, I maybe too much brand sensitive.

But I am probably not the only one.

I have seen many watches that have a great look and nice presence on the wrist, including nice movements inside.

In example the Seiko Monster, which I own for years now, and only wore a couple of times but that I would never sell because...I like it very much.

seikoblackmonster_800_03.jpg

Another great example is my very nice Tissot PRS 516

TissotPrs516_800_17.jpg

TissotPrs516_800_06.jpg

So, maybe this thread could be used to educate us and move to a less brand sensitive choice of watches

How about Jenny? They made some really unique watches back in the 70's and 80's. Jenny actually owns Doxa and I'm hearing that they are bringing out another Jenny Caribbean Dive watch series. Lots of colored dials too, even ORANGE!!

I saw a discussion awhile back about the Who's Who of vintage divers. Jenny had their fingers in everyone's pie, it seems. Gotta agree with the Jenny Caribbean compressor pieces! :wub:

I reckon this would be....if someone could piece it back together!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160834823893?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_6461wt_1396

That "Aqualung" logo is certainly 1950's, I was sticking them in scrap books back then!

Would love to get some background on this watch, and why it has been torn down...maybe flooded and destroyed movement.?

Offshore

I like dive watches that are not commonly seen. A few that I kept...

Zenith Defy diver with maroon dial. The movement is rubber mounted in the case.

Pair of identical 1970's steel manual wind '666' watches with black and red rotating aluminum bezels and Seiko manual wind movements...one branded Bulova and one Caravelle.

NOS Benrus 100m with rotating bezel etc but no movement, it came that way, a salesman's sample.

Matching pair of 100m Wittnauer manual wind watches with rotating bezels etc, one slow set, one quick set.

Bulova 32 or 33mm steel 200m diver watch, double O ring crown etc.

Hamilton automatic with 'compressor' type case (internal rotating bezel). Same case was used on many brands.

A guy gave me a 3/4 size 200m Oris OR583-7457-4055-STL diver a few months ago with a broken stem and it has a lady size Eta 2688 in it (Oris was 'famous' for lady size movements in regular size watches). It says '200 METERS WP' on the dial...not WR but WP. It looks like an older watch but they are still for sale.

etc, etc

Also have a few ultra cheapo divers in pot metal cases with pin lever movements. Some marked 100m etc but no way they would hold up over 3 feet deep.

a lot of (still cheap) watches are out there -

some from my collection:

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0285-1.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

cid_98CFCBF5-4CAF-431B-B44E-023365E.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

IMG_9730.jpg

the sky is the limit when it comes to obscure swiss vintage watches ;)

cheers,

Frank

Here's my only vntage diver ATM. Swiss Organa with a 25 jewel ETA 2452 movement, which is actually keeping better time than most of my newer ETA powered watches. :)

9c9781b3-1.jpg

5c28e493-1.jpg

Also just had it relumed with a sandy brown vintage style lume.

6b2d14b8.jpg

39b88c07.jpg

dbbf7fb3.jpg

Edited by GBOGH

That Organa ROCKS!!! And the orange Gruen ... I'd give Ken's left nut for it. It shares the same case as the Blancpain 1000m Barakuda. :wub: