When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Argh I got the wrong tube. What crown is this?

red series 3

O.k I think I need somebody to get the school bus out and drive it over to pick me up.

I think I am o.k with the daytona project and then something "basic" like ordering the correct tube for this crown and I failed.

IMG_2052.jpg

So can somebody please confirm what this crown is (I think 702 but the huge price of 7020 tubes makes me want to confirm)

Pick me up in the bus. I need to be schooled

I ordered a 703 tube.

That's what I thought as well.

But the tube arrived and it does not screw down...

Scrambling for watchmakers toolkit grabbing a loupe looking at the threads on the crown after your post

Edited by Red Series 3

That's what I was thinking maybe threads stripped in crown.

But... No the loupe confirmed something even simpler. There was an o-ring at the base of the crown that was preventing the tube getting to the threads.

Its o.k everybody stop panicking.

I did order the right tube.

Turn the bus around.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking I might be too heavy handed to work on watches.

I tapped the thread for this to m3 x0.35 I countersunk and counter bored the hole. I searched for pics of builds to get an idea on how far from the case this should sit. I read somewhere that the wrong thing to do is get it flush and have the crown sit too close to the case.

I have been through all of freddy333 content looking for good pics of builds he has completed. As I think he gets this area right.

I got to the point where I was happy with how deep the tube sat in the case. I removed it fitted the seal between tube and case wound it in. I was using a tapered spline from an alternate tool that fit the tube. I thought i would give it another quarter turn and turned the head off the tube. It unwound fine without damage to the case with just another tapered spline.

But I though I would ask if this has ever happened to anyone before. I was using a clarks 703 tube and gen crown.

I was happy with the quality of the tube. I think it is just me using the wrong tool for the job.

That's GREAT info FREDDY....thanks for sharing :)

I've just acquired a New sealed 24-7020 tube that I can't use...and open for trades.

I need a early 703 crown for the 16800.

I thought the crown I had was a 702 because the threads in the crown come all the way up to the machined bevel.

It's not...and I don't know what it is but it isn't a 702..the 24-7020 won't fit inside it.

It will screw on perfectly to a 24-7030 tube but bottoms out just as it reaches the outer tube seal...and it has the 702 /early 703 style coronet on it.

Any ideas ???

Edited by correctime

Freddy, I think your picture is mis-labeled. From left to right those should be: 702, 703, 704

702 - threads to the end, wrapped

703 - threads only up inside the crown, smooth near the opening, wrapped

704 - same, but solid, not wrapped

701 cross section

post-32-0-83164500-1344030082_thumb.jpg

702 profile

post-32-0-59882000-1344030153_thumb.jpg

702 vs 703

post-32-0-87059200-1344030167_thumb.jpg

post-32-0-83346300-1344030201_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...