When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Input/options welcome from all

Sparkal

Hey,

So I know that title is very vague but had no idea what else to put.

So I am getting married in August whoop whoop, I am in the process of finding a wedding watch for myself... Well the wife gets the bling so I figure I at least get some for myself. Obviously it must be a gen.

I have spotted a yaht master and iwc Porto chrono at my local AD/jeweler of choice.

So knowledgable folks what would your pick be? I have a budget of $15000.00 NZD. (roughly 12k USD).

Also I would like to get my four grooms men a nice dress rep. Must have leather strap on buckle/deployment. I have put a figure of $200 USD excluding shipping on this.

Feel free to chime in as the more input the better!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Al

So that's a gen watch for yourself?

If so I say forget the yatchmaster and look for a nice dress watch you certainly have the budget to get what you want.

You can save heaps if you just get a nice coaxial seamaster, although that AP would be nice.

Ken

At the moment I'd definitely side with KB on the Gen Seamaster, they look fantastic and if and when I see one at a reasonable price I'll get one ;) hey you'd have plenty of change too!

po.jpg

Hey guys thanks for the options, I tend to get blinders on when looking at watches and trying to expand my field of view.

SGT, that is a nice looking omega indeed. is that the new ceramic P/O? I am not up to speed on Omegas at all. I must go try one on..

WHO, That is a very classy watch! maybe too classy for me but love the look of it.

All good options! Love this part of the wedding planning!

What do you guys think about 42mm planet oceans reps for the guys? I was thinking a simple dress watch with leather strap but now...

Cheers,

Al

Rolex Daytona

I only say that because I went to few weddings pretty close to each other.. a few years back and at each one the groom was wearing a Daytona and I must say it looked very nice... it stood out and looked formal yet they can also be worn in less formal occasions once the wedding has passed...

Turned out though in respect of the grooms... it was the same watch each time.... they had all borrowed it from the same guy...

However if you have bigger wrists I wouldnt suggest it....

Wow $12K is a hefty budget, you could pick up a 2nd hand PP calatrava for that. The PO is a lovely watch, might be a bit on the chunky side for suit wear but would be great for the afters :)

I'd go with something like an AT 8500 or a JLC master control with a few quid left over, of course the Portuguese is a great choice also:

1398420.jpg

3418003988_37b724cb34.jpg

For the reps, you could do worse than something low-key, like the new IWC portofino reps

4.jpg

Get something that reflects you. if you are a suit wearer and like gold the Calatrava is timeless. if you are a frequent traveller and 38-40mm works for you take a good look at the earlier generation JLC Master Geographique. It is a gorgeous SS dress watch for basically half your budget. For the full amount you can get it in Gold. If you are really going to drop $10k plus the Daytona really is a timeless SS classic and the only Rolex I would go for for wedding purposes. It really is very blingy (in a guy way) and it looks stunning peaking out from a tuxedo. Lastly, if you want to go for a bigger watch look but not bulky some of the Portu's are gorgeous. They are very popular among European CEO's. Most importantly, have fun picking it and bear in mind you will likely have it for the rest of your life or until you decide to pass it on to the next generation. By the way my original wedding watch a trillion years ago was an AP ROO and so IMHO that is another elegant timeless SS choice. :)

I'd definitely go with the IWC 371401 Portuguese. It's a very classy watch and very distinctive. It has the right amount of gold (hands and indicies) for me. Pictures really don't do justice to this one;

440025417_o.jpg

I´ve seen LOTS of pics of the 01...but this really blew me away! Amazing!!