When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Datejust recommendations

bpolo

Im fairly new to the rep game....

I already went the TC route for a V4 Sub, and I cant recommend it highly enough! Obviously, enough praises sung here about the TC, but Ill say it also... Very, very close to a Gen 16610 that I owned..I foolishly sold the TC last week to fund a GEN 14060 , and the seller backed out, so Im ordering another TC, and also looking to get into a nice Datejust.......

What would be the equivalent of TC & BK Subs in the Datejust Game? or are there even any that good? Id prefer not to get into the Gold plating, as that can wear off, and look cheap eventually...Mainly, Id like a great Rep, with an ETA movt.......My TC sub was consistently running at -1 to -2 seconds per day!!! Amazing...

Anyhow, any recommendations on a Datejust with jubilee would be great!

Thanks

B

I use a stainless case from china with the engraved rehaut. The model number is that of an explorer, and serial number is of an 05. They are nice cases and the 2836-2 eta fits perfectly. I also buy a stainless bracelet with solid center links and new style marked hidden clasp. The bracelet is very nice and I like the fact that the solid end pieces fit inside the case lugs. My supplier also has some very nice dials. The crystals have the LEC and the cyclops is in a good location. However, the calender wheel overlay is a crap shoot. I have 6 good ones and 6 bad ones. LOL The bezel is a bit to tall, but I correct that with a gen bezel which fits perfectly and keeps the watch watertight. If you have any interest pm me, or if not good luck

I use a stainless case from china with the engraved rehaut. The model number is that of an explorer, and serial number is of an 05. They are nice cases and the 2836-2 eta fits perfectly. I also buy a stainless bracelet with solid center links and new style marked hidden clasp. The bracelet is very nice and I like the fact that the solid end pieces fit inside the case lugs. My supplier also has some very nice dials. The crystals have the LEC and the cyclops is in a good location. However, the calender wheel overlay is a crap shoot. I have 6 good ones and 6 bad ones. LOL The bezel is a bit to tall, but I correct that with a gen bezel which fits perfectly and keeps the watch watertight. If you have any interest pm me, or if not good luck

PM Sent......You should post pics..

I love the vintage DJs. AAMOF, out of 5 reps I have an MBW 16610 and the rest are vintage. They are very easy to build and not break the bank. I try to buy a 16000 case from eBay. $182 is the most I ever paid. Hopefully it will have a good case tube, but they are $14. You can buy a gen crown for $50 - $60. The dial will go from $65 to $350 depending on which you choose.

Put it together with a Swiss ETA 2836-2 and gen date wheel for a 3135 (6s and 9s will be closed, which is incorrect), and some Tudor hands from Clark and you have a rep with which no one can argue.

I know, I know...that should be a champagne date wheel on the 16013. I have one but it is too dark. Trying to find a better one.

Twinsfacingeachother1-resized.jpg

16013onrockdial-resized.jpg

100_3299.jpg

100_3300.jpg

Edited by preacher62

Nice! I've got a few of those myself.

I doubt if you'll find any more cases at that price though. Especially with the gold bezels included. They seem to have gotten up around $400 to 500 including the bezel.. Just the bezels alone are over $200 now from what I've been seeing.

All that work is beyond me, at this point in time...I'm hoping to just be able to find a dealer, who has great DJ reps, or can make me one....

Regards

B

Silix is a good choice for a Datejust. Andrew (Trusty Watches) is also a dealer with whom I have had very good success.

Most DJs are very accurate and they will put together for you what you want, or get very near. If you want a good modern DJ...one that you can wear everyday and have it work well, then I would urge you to go with a Swiss ETA or the Asian equivalent movement.

Suggestion...go on eBay and download a pic of what you would like and send it to the dealer, telling them that this is what you are looking for.

Edited by preacher62

Nice! I've got a few of those myself.

I doubt if you'll find any more cases at that price though. Especially with the gold bezels included. They seem to have gotten up around $400 to 500 including the bezel.. Just the bezels alone are over $200 now from what I've been seeing.

Could be, but I did purchase the 16013 case this year, and it was the $182 one. It did not have any hardware but the case back, i.e. no tube, crown, crystal. I must admit, I had the yellow gold bezel. I forgot about the bezels...they are an additional expense. (I would advise anyone to not purchase a case without a caseback because a caseback is very difficult to source.) I did buy the other one with the white gold bezel on board and I know it was below $200 because I have not paid $200 for one.

I have noticed that the 1600 cases are getting very expensive. They seem to be more desirable than the 16000 cases, even to members of this forum. I like the 16000 case because I like to work with the 2836 movement (for this application), and also piepan dials are more expensive and more difficult to find.

I considered myself very lucky to find a complete 16014 case set (case, crown, tube, crystal, 18k WG bezel) for $220 (inc. PP and shipping) a couple of months ago.

Even the aftermarket WG bezels are going for $150-$200 alone. Have seen some sellers ask $300 for the gen WG bezel (which is way too high IMO).

The prices on Rolex parts on eBay are getting out of control. You have to be very, very, patient these days to find something priced well. Still kicking myself for missing the end time for the Tropic 22 that went for $21.51 a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by tomhorn

I considered myself very lucky to find a complete 16014 case set (case, crown, tube, crystal, 18k WG bezel) for $220 (inc. PP and shipping) a couple of months ago.

Even the aftermarket WG bezels are going for $150-$200 alone. Have seen some sellers ask $300 for the gen WG bezel (which is way too high IMO).

The prices on Rolex parts on eBay are getting out of control. You have to be very, very, patient these days to find something priced well. Still kicking myself for missing the end time for the Tropic 22 that went for $21.51 a couple of weeks ago.

I salute you tomhorn. That was a most excellent find at $220. I missed a 16000 case about a month ago because I was engaged and couldn't bid the last 60 sec. It went for $123. I was sick. It was a mid-case and caseback only.

I was lucky. The YG one is a 16013 and the WG one is a 16014. Works good and the gold won't wear off.

I haven't had to price the bezels lately. There is a seller on the Bay that sells an aftermarket bezel. They have the full height and also a "low profile" bezel. It's not perfect but not bad. I have a white gold one if you ever need it. Nearly new...looks great and will fit a rep case. Thing is, I don't think it measures out to a full 18K.

I have a mid-case and would pay some amount for a caseback if you know of one. It is a 16000 mid-case.

Edited by preacher62