When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got Called Out!

Cromag

Never been called out.  I had a student once (I'm a college professor) who came up to me one day and

told me he was in a jewelry store a few days earlier and noticed that they had the same model AP that

I happened to be wearing that day.  I think he now believes my salary is a hell of a lot higher than it actually is  :lol:

While in LA and Atlanta I drove a $700 chevy cavalier. Also wore a gen AirKing and gen 5512 Sub.

Also had a gen PAM 111H but sold it to buy other watches.

In London I wore the 5512 to punk rock gigs, record store parties, all night techno parties etc...

rarely if at all did anyone notice it or comment...

Once or twice I got a comment about the rollie---I would say yeah---wanna see the movement? 

''Real vintage rolexes have cool movements.''

I would then unscrew the back (i kept it only handtightened----no way am i swimming with a gen vintage rollie)

and show em the rotor and movt etc...

I usually wear Levi's and a blank t-shirt...cheap shoes. 

I also don't really care what 99 percent of the world thinks :)

I also don't really care what 99 percent of the world thinks :)

That's the spirit, and i agree. Only in some situations, for example business situations it really matters. It's fine not caring what people think "out in the world" but if it's a closed business situation a lot can ride on individual impressions. I think it's always best to appropriately sell yourself (age, percieved status) For instance if your selling consultancy services you may not want the potential client to think your fees support extravengecies such as expensive watches. Or for them to not trust you because they think you may have a replica. It's a fine balancing act. If it's just peoples opinion of you in the supermarket on a Saturday morning good for you if you couldn't care less. Its potentially different in the meeting room Monday when it's your company and all your collegues that may be at risk of being called out and losing business (livelihood) because you couldnt care less.

Is Panerai really that unknown? I was of the opinion that they were pretty popular, especially in recent years.

I live in Asia, and Panerai is very popular. It's tradition in Cantonese culture for young couples to recieve all sorts of expensive gifts when getting married, so you see many gen panerai (plus Rolex and other high street luxury watches) on the wrists of 25+ year olds. I've never seen so many gens in a city. Generally HK is very wealthy so no one batters an eyelid (let alone think for a minute its a rep) about what you have on, as it's commonplace to wear a nice genuine watch.

Im not sure weather people recognize my PAM111 as a Panerai or as a nice big shiney watch. I got people giving it a glance pretty much every day. Once I got a compliment when I was having dinner with my wife from the owner that he liked my Panerai, but he was wearing a 312 hilmself.

I am a 24y/o regular guy, I treat myself with nice clothing and nice reps. Im not going to brag about what car I drive, which gens I own or not etc.

I never got called out. Maybe its because I don't wear reps of gens I cannot afford. Or maybe its because the chance meeting someone with both serious knowledge and boldness is as big as hitting the lottery!

I spot a lot of watches every single day, it takes me two good looks to recognize the brand and model, but it takes me another 100 to see if its a gen or a rep. And after those 100 I still can't tell from 30ft away. Then I judge by the way someone looks/dresses, but that's just plain wrong! People shouldn't be judging all the time, Justin Bieber wears a Panerai and he dresses like sh*t!

I never got called out. Maybe its because I don't wear reps of gens I cannot afford. Or maybe its because the chance meeting someone with both serious knowledge and boldness is as big as hitting the lottery!

Advice, if you get called out "sucessfully", buy a lottery ticket!  I like that.