When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which of these 1680s do you prefer...

HauteHippie

Which of these 1680s do you prefer, and why? And would do find a $1400 premium worthwhile?

Both are gen. Both are 6.1M serial. There is a $1400 price difference (you figure out which one costs more). I suspect I know who will prefer one vs the other. But I'm curious as the the thoughts.

The First One

orig.jpg

The Second One

DSC_0291.JPG

If you are going for all orginal then if the second is all original then factor in the price of a service with Ziggy if you can because that missing lume from the hands has gone somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both have 702s

Both have silver date wheels

1 Has a service crystal, and i would say has been to an RSC

2 has an original Top hat

If you want a safe queen get 2

if you want a watch to wear every day get 1

I saw these yesterday on VRM. The second one has papers and a MK1 dial. Number 1 has a MK2 dial, but better lugs. The hands on #2 are going to be changed out by the seller, the insert looks original and the tophat crystal is a replacement.

Number one is $5400

Number 2 is $6500

I don't think the papers are worth $1100!

Both have 702s

Both have silver date wheels

1 Has a service crystal, and i would say has been to an RSC

2 has an original Top hat

If you want a safe queen get 2

if you want a watch to wear every day get 1

Good summary. Here are the details:

First one: Service T dial (MK2) with light patina starting, service crystal, case restored by ABC, case thickness very uniform and above average compared to most vintage stuff, 93150 with 580, serviced by RSC, he says it's a FF insert but doesn't look it to me (?). $1400 cheaper than second one.

Second one: 100% original dial (MK1), NOS plexi installed (top hat), hands will be installed to match the dial, no info on case polishing but doesn't appear unpolished, original papers included. $1400 more than first one.

I saw these yesterday on VRM. The second one has papers and a MK1 dial. Number 1 has a MK2 dial, but better lugs. The hands on #2 are going to be changed out by the seller, the insert looks original and the tophat crystal is a replacement.

Number one is $5400

Number 2 is $6500

I don't think the papers are worth $1100!

Number one will come down to $5100.

Edited by chieftang

Fair price for #1. Prefer to never have the case restored though.

Number 2 isn't worth $6500... Even with b&p. I've seen way too many nice 1680 examples for under $6k to ever choose something that.

If I was still looking... Perfect dial with matching hands, silver date, excellent case, and fat font insert with tritium pearl. For $5.5-6k that is easily possible. Personally I would pass on both... This is vintage Rolex, be as picky as possible if you are going for a premo example.

If ya dig fat font inserts a nice one with tritium pearl go for $700-800... I'm in the market for one now and kinda wish I just bought one that came with one.

Edited by phillycheez