When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5500 Explorer Franken Help.

monkeypunch

I've gathered most of what I need for a 5500 Explorer franken: a 1500 case, Yuki Dial, Gen 7835 bracelet, and a 2846 movement. I have run into two problems: I'm having trouble finding a no-date crystal (i'm just using the cyclops one that came with the original case until I find a solution), but what seems to be the major setback is that I have everything assembled, but when it comes time to put the stem in, it keeps mucking up the keyless works. I can remove and insert the stem just fine outside of the case, but as soon as I line everything up it goes kaput. I've done and redone the keyless works several times, and every time I go to put it in the case, the same thing.

Any suggestions?

I think the no date crystal is the T-12. If that doesn't work, try the T-13. Clark's has both as I recall.

I wonder if you need to use a 2824-2 instead of a 2846-2. Put the dial and the movement in the case and then sight thru the case tube hole. If the stem entrance to the movement is low, you need the narrower 2824-2 movement. That's what I used when I built my Explorer I in a 1601 DJ case.

photo-4.jpg

Well, i finished it! Funny thing I forgot to mrntion is that I did have it working, not for long with the 2846. It looked perfect, except that the minute hand wouldn't move, when I took everything apart, thats where the trouble started...anyhow I assembled it today with the 2824 and everything seemed to work. I'll post some pictures later. Thanks guys for all your help!

• 2 weeks later...

It was an aftermarket crystal from WSO. The main reason I bought it was because I couldn't find anything to fit the 1500 without a cyclops. After removing the cyclops i sanded, and polished, polished, polished!

The dial and hands are bugging me now. I may vintage them a bit to tone down the white on the dial and hands, as they look too pristine for a watch that's supposed to be close to 50 years old...

I'll check my crystal list at the office. I've got both the 1500 and 5500 cases which are slated for Explorer builds in the future. The 1500 will probably require a new bezel since it's loose on the current no cyclops crystal that I have on there (jmb does this for a fair price- just send him the parts and he turns a new bezel). Sometimes you need to try a couple of different crystals/mfrs to find one that fits right.

Your polished crystal looks good.

If you want to age the dial and hands, maybe a light coffee/tea stain would do it. Just dry the dial and hands afterwards so that it doesn't mess up the lume.

your exp 5500 is absolutely amazing. i have recently changed a crystal on air king 5500 from cousinsuk.com and it fitted perfectly. it only costed a couple of pounds. I guess you could do a relume with vintage lume on both dial and hands to make it look even better.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would share some pics of the finished product:

That is a really good looking result! Love it.

I wouldn´t go a route to vintage the hands and dial. They look just right.

If you get a comment regarding the appearance of the dial and hands, being too new, you can always say that the Explorer has been serviced not long ago :)

That gen bracelet looks nice.

What size of springbars have you used for the bracelet? Diameters of the pistons would be interesting?

Can you please tell some measurements or point to the source where you got them?

Wish you a lot of wrist time with the Explorer and wear it in good health.