When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sea dweller great white

claws413

Maria best watch

Maria was a dealer. He hasn't been around for years. The watches are still available, of course.

Thanks! So these would be available only in the for sale sections here? I sold my gen Submariner blue dial TT and would like to find the best rep replacement. Any thoughts gents? Should I start a new thread?? Thanks!! PAM1962

I dont know of any difference between the old and new

Same here. But when I was souring all parts for mine I remeber there being some fuzz about the old and new on here (don't remember what or the conclusion though). So I played it safe and got myself an used old one which I knew was up to par as a base for my project.

Sent down payment for a new one.

Will see when they arrive which one to use or maybe even send both to RA and have their best part mixed if possible...

This GW is my second and will be last replica for some time and I want it good and want it to be a good base for future development.

you will never be satisfied with anything but the MBW case. You can buy an MBW, and add parts as you get the funds.You can use a 2846 slow beat, or go all the way and put a genuine 1570 Rolex movement in the watch.There are really good aftermarket dials out there as well. So you can spend 700.00 USD and have a really nice 1665, or you can go all out and spend 3500.00 USD and have a really,really nice watch with lots of genuine parts. If you start out with anything other than MBW, phong,yuki, Ming, etc. you will hit lots of dead ends trying to adapt genuine parts to work.If you want the base for a believable 1665, get a MBW

you will never be satisfied with anything but the MBW case. You can buy an MBW, and add parts as you get the funds.You can use a 2846 slow beat, or go all the way and put a genuine 1570 Rolex movement in the watch.There are really good aftermarket dials out there as well. So you can spend 700.00 USD and have a really nice 1665, or you can go all out and spend 3500.00 USD and have a really,really nice watch with lots of genuine parts. If you start out with anything other than MBW, phong,yuki, Ming, etc. you will hit lots of dead ends trying to adapt genuine parts to work.

If you want the base for a believable 1665, get a MBW

until you realise the crown position cant and never will be correct... where is your god now? :D

Very nice !

What kind of

crystal have you got on this ?

That's a genuine Rolex T39 service crystal :)

Also, what the others have said about starting at MBW is 100% true.

I put half of my parts on a cartel 1665 when I started this project and just wasn't happy at all.

until you realise the crown position cant and never will be correct... where is your god now? :D

That may be true, it's not exactly correct, but it's something that is probably not very noticable to anyone but those of us who are fanatics. The problem with the other cases is the lack of compatibility with genuine or even afternarket parts. I had the same problem with a 6538 build using one of the cheap watches as a base, nothing worked! Couldn't even install a proper big crown because the crown tube was so much bigger, there wasn't enough depth to the case to drill out and retap the hole for the crown tube. The Zigmeister tried, but couldn't make it work. Same with the puretime case for the 6542, just too many things wrong.

I realize that if you want to build a really dead accurate (or as dead accurate as we can make them) watch, probably the only way to go is a phong case or Ming Quy or possibly yuki or natalie, but they are 2X-3X more expensive just for the case set. just depemds on how you want to go.

Thing about Phongs case is at 14-1500$ you can almost find a gen used case for that. But your right, in many cases there is no MBW option.

I want a no guard sub, and I'll probably have to get a Phong.. silex and cartel are so far off.

- if the 1665 is something you intend to keep in your collection.

This is exactly why I decided to listen to your advice.

I'm only getting 2 watches now and they have to be good.

I want to invest some money on the 1665 and this has to start with the right foot.

Also have to confess I were not very impressed by the QC pics of the P.C. 1665 I have received.

I want to invest some money on the 1665 and this has to start with the right foot.

Then the MBW/ MBK will be the perfect base. Some examples on how to improve it over time and make it a real gem:

Reshape crown guards

Drill lug holes

Gen cown/ tube

Gen bezel insert

Gen T39 crystal

Slow beat ETA 2846 movement

TC hand set

HE Valve mod

:)

Then the MBW/ MBK will be the perfect base. Some examples on how to improve it over time and make it a real gem:

Reshape crown guards

Drill lug holes

Gen cown/ tube

Gen bezel insert

Gen T39 crystal

Slow beat ETA 2846 movement

TC hand set

HE Valve mod

:)

How much will it cost for for all the above mod u mentioned?

How much will it cost for for all the above mod u mentioned?

The labour cost all depends on the modders experience, skills and hourly rate which can differ quite a bit I guess - so I advice you to do some research and contact them for a quotation. Regarding the parts cost, here's a rough guide:

Gen cown/ tube ($100-150 - for a 703)

Gen bezel insert ($100 and up*)

Gen T39 crystal ($100-150)

Slow beat ETA 2846 movement ($80-120 - in good running condition)

TC hand set ($50 - I think)

*Price depending on condition and type (service/ lumi, fat font, new/ naturally faded/ ghost etc.)

Your estimates correct modelizer. I think I have about 1200 in mine. Last thing to do is send it off to Z for a vintage lume :) The thing about costs on a project like this...you do it in increments and get to finance it at your own pace. You can start with a basic MBW case and get it going for 1/3rd the final costs. Another thing to keep in mind is parts costs can be all over the map. You can pay crazy money on some parts simply because they can take months to find. I gave up on finding a gen hev after three months and ended up getting one from Phong. I got my nos service insert in the wrapper for 100$ shipped. But other parts I'm ashamed to admit what I paid :(

Amen to that woof!

I did the same thing. My 1665 rail dial has been my little ongoing project for about 2,5 years now and just got finished with the final updates (TC hands, Yuki case back and HEV mod). Can't wait for it to arrive so I can slap it onto my wrist again where it belongs! :)

And yes, the market for vintage Rolex parts is a unique little thingy with 'supply (which of course gets worse every day) and demand (by people who's got dough)' as its only rule.. So the figures in my previous post is only to be seen as a guideline based on my own experience hunting parts since 2009..