When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 5506.

monkeypunch

I recently purchased a 5506 Air-King case and dial and am getting prepped for a franken build. I ran into a problem with the crown. According to my research the 5506 takes a 5.3mm crown, but my crown wouldn't fit. It seems the crown tube is smaller and won't allow either of my 5.3mm crowns to fit. I tried a 5.3mm crown tube I had that was too big in diameter to fit inside the case. The crown tube that came with the case is considerably smaller to boot. I'm stumped...any ideas?

Edited by monkeypunch

Are you sure the parts you have are 5.3mm and not 6mm parts? Your case tube that's too big is probably 6mm which takes a 3.0mm x .35 tap and the 5.3 tube takes a 2.5mm x .25 tap. A set of taps would be a good purchase. Also, if you're buying used crown on ebay, you have to realize that some sellers have no clue what they're selling.

I just measured the threads that screw into the case, both top and bottom. The crown tube that came with the case measures 2.43mm on the bottom, and the top thread measures 3.94mm. The other tube I have that was purchased off of the bay measured 2.84mm on the bottom and 4.33mm on the top. Now I measured the top threads in my 1603 DJ franken, and my 1500 cased 5500 explorer, both measured the same 4.33mm... does this mean that both of those cases are housing 6mm tubes??? I'm amazed with what should be such a simple issue is confusing me.

The case tube that measures 2.43 on the bottom can only go in a 2.5mm hole, so it's a 5.3mm case tube.

The tube with the 2.84mm bottom can only go in the 3.0mm hole, so it's a 6mm case tube

A 1603 does take a 6mm case tube and crown- crown would be the 24-600-0. Case tube is 243-6000-0. Last 0 denotes stainless steel.

On a 1500, I'm not sure, but it appears you have a 6mm assembly

To make it worse, the 6mm have an "old" and "new" style. The "new" style tube fits a 3mm hole while the "old" style fits the smaller hole...

...........which TOTALLY hosed me when I bought a very expensive "Brevet" 6mm crown for my 6536.

Live and learn.

• 1 year later...