When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Double AR crystal from Sunnydale on upo 45 installing

the_rymeister

Hi guys as sme of you know I have a franken planet ocean 45mm, until now I had gen dial,gen hands,gen crown gen tube and gen insert, but it still had something missing........the gen crystal.

I looked into a genuine crystal and they are an expensive upgrade which I could justify spending at the moment, so I put up a post in the wanted section looking for second hand gen or good aftermarket double ar'd rep.

Well a member contacted me from rwi called Sunnydale who had a batch of aftermarket double ar'd crystals.

I bought one and popped it in, here's how it turned out :)

Removed old crystal

post-40133-134488856097.jpg

Here you can see the standard upo crystal on the left and the double ar'd from Sunnydale on the right, you can also see the lovely blue tint on the crystal..

post-40133-134488858942.jpg

Here you can see the reflection reduce a hell of a lot on the Sunnydale crystal on the right, these pictures really don't do it justice

post-40133-134488865558.jpg

the 1st picture is the original crystal under direct lamp light, the 2nd picture is with the Sunnydale crystal installed under the exact same lighting, you can see straight away the reduction in reflection....simply fantastic.

post-40133-134488874521.jpg

post-40133-134488872716.jpg

Here's a couple of pictures in blazing sunshine :)

post-40133-134488889324.jpg

Here you can see that the crystal completely disappears in certain angles and shows off the genuine dial so much more than the original crystal which is absolutely amazing :)

post-40133-134488895623.jpg

post-40133-134488897232.jpg

post-40133-134488902764.jpg

And here's a couple of pics of the blue tint which you get in certain angles which is also very genuine looking.

post-40133-134488910056.jpg

post-40133-134488911047.jpg

post-40133-13448891197.jpg

post-40133-134488913478.jpg

Conclusion to sunnydales crystal is if your looking for a Huge upgrade to your upo for not a huge cost make sure you contact him as I am so impressed with these crystals, I still can't believe that a better crystal makes this much improvement to you watch.....amazing.

Hope you enjoyed

Cheers Ry :)

• Like 1

Cheers cougar, it really makes a difference, couldn't emagine what a gen crystal is like, but to be honest I don't think I'll ever bother with gen crystal as it looks so good. It's a shame he hasn't got any for the 42 but I'm sure if it's like anything else on rwg if there's enough members with money I'm sure they would become available :)

Looks great. The rep crystal on my 42 po left the gen dial looking a little yellow on the markers and the blue hue was over the top.

I opted for gen and was lucky enough to land the newer style crystal for the PO's with reduced blue hue.

Bottom line, standard rep crystal needs to go, essential mod on a po is a crystal mod.

F401CE1D-1DA6-44AB-9BAC-F42EEE34E0AE-213-0000000EE4E8D88A.jpg

Cheers cougar, it really makes a difference, couldn't emagine what a gen crystal is like, but to be honest I don't think I'll ever bother with gen crystal as it looks so good. It's a shame he hasn't got any for the 42 but I'm sure if it's like anything else on rwg if there's enough members with money I'm sure they would become available :)

It looks very close to gen, the main thing with the gen crystal is the transparency effect, and low reflections, and this crystal from the pics looks exactly as gen looks. It is the better option considering price, the gen is just too dear.

Also Sunny says the factory that does the crystals won't do the 42mm version unless they can move amounts in the 200's, I think the 45mm versions were a trial?, cos I didn't hear of amounts like that being shifted across the forums? I would've thought the 42mm PO was more popular and would've sold more than the 45mm but maybe I'm wrong?

Also the PO 5th gen is nearly a 2 year old rep these days so many who already wanted a franken would have done the crystal or mods by now or just happy to leave it unmodded...so not sure how demand would be. If Sunny crystals were out a year and half ago they would've sold like crazy. Anyway great work, watch looks stunning!

It looks very close to gen, the main thing with the gen crystal is the transparency effect, and low reflections, and this crystal from the pics looks exactly as gen looks. It is the better option considering price, the gen is just too dear.

Also Sunny says the factory that does the crystals won't do the 42mm version unless they can move amounts in the 200's, I think the 45mm versions were a trial?, cos I didn't hear of amounts like that being shifted across the forums? I would've thought the 42mm PO was more popular and would've sold more than the 45mm but maybe I'm wrong?

Also the PO 5th gen is nearly a 2 year old rep these days so many who already wanted a franken would have done the crystal or mods by now or just happy to leave it unmodded...so not sure how demand would be. If Sunny crystals were out a year and half ago they would've sold like crazy. Anyway great work, watch looks stunning!

45 mm was indeed a trial, I got a MOQ of 100 pieces. I am seriously thinking of doing samples for 42 mm model with new colorless AR that the factory has now. After I get the samples, people might be interested :) The factory coated my SMP Chrono crystal as a sample of the new colorless AR and wow I was amazed! It is 99.5 % as good as a gen Omega NEW AR coating. This is how it looks (my Franken UPO on the left with gen crystal):

IMG_2601.jpg

Oh, and sorry Ry for this threadcrapping :)

Edited by sunnydale

It would indeed be excellent if you could get hold of 42mm samples sunny, (...even though we are all waiting patiently for the new ceramic PO's) ....the standard 42mm 5th gen is still, and probably will be for years a great seller, so you'd move the crystals easily enough. From the pics you show the transparency is top notch (saw your thread on RWI) and at the price they are at, they are an outstanding option vs gen!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one, and I have 2 problems, the first is that I just could not get the bezel off and ended up scratching the case to pieces, any tips.

Secondly when I gave up and took it to my local watch guy, he took one look at the thickness of the crystal and said there is no way that is going to fit in the case you are showing me. So it seems the seller who sold me a UPO case (for me to upgrade my standard case) screwed me out of $90

So, may end up sticking the crystal up for sale, but agree that it does look great.

I bought one, and I have 2 problems, the first is that I just could not get the bezel off and ended up scratching the case to pieces, any tips.

Secondly when I gave up and took it to my local watch guy, he took one look at the thickness of the crystal and said there is no way that is going to fit in the case you are showing me. So it seems the seller who sold me a UPO case (for me to upgrade my standard case) screwed me out of $90

So, may end up sticking the crystal up for sale, but agree that it does look great.

You don't have to take the bezel off to change the crystal. Instead, take the movement out and pop the old crystal out.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be great to have a 42mm PO batch

5-6 pieces sample order will leave China on Wednesday double side AR coated with the latest colorless AR. They will be on my hands in around 3-4 days after that :) So there will be some lucky guys that will get the samples. Others have to wait for the run...

I am mostly waiting for my IWC BP crystal that is getting AR treatment at the same time!

• Like 2