When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG 6265 6263 vintage Daytona build tutorial!

janeto72

friggin' expensive if you want a rep you won't get called out on but i will say that a gen in the same condition will easily fetch $35,000.00.So I think it's a pretty good bang for the buck...LOL!

I will add that if I did this same build 5 years ago it would have probably cost about $6000.00. Gen parts are getting harder to source and are at a premium.

• 2 weeks later...

Fabulous build indeed! :)

I have a question: so what's the difference between this dial and the one with DAYTONA WRITTEN IN RED ABOVE THE 6 O'CLOCK Register?

Sent from my  using Tapatalk

the story goes.....sigma dials came with white gold baton markers/ hand sets..........in 1975, for only that year they also came with the red daytona script above the hour sub dial.....but i really don't know much about rolex watches so an expert would need to chime in.....LOL

• Like 1

the story goes.....sigma dials came with white gold baton markers/ hand sets..........in 1975, for only that year they also came with the red daytona script above the hour sub dial.....but i really don't know much about rolex watches so an expert would need to chime in.....LOL

Thanks for the historical overview J :)

I'm fascinated by your hard work and dedication. Are you really taking offers on this babe?

Btw, another esteemed member has just listed his Über Frankėn 6263 for sale. Offered at +$6,000 the watch is not as LOADED as yours, but it's nothing short of fabulous!

Link: http://www.rwg.cc/index.php?/topic/152519-FS:-6263

Sent from my  using Tapatalk

Sigma = WG hands / markers / dial coronet as you said :)

Was used before the Big Red comes

Makes a great difference when your dial being old, because no corrosion at all ;)

- Sigma no Daytona from 70 to ~74-75

- Then rare version Sigma Big Red Daytona 74 / 75 (3.9 to 4.3 mil)

- Then Big Red Daytona from 75 to 87 with 2 kind of dials (early & later - the position of the ROC does the difference : the "COSMOGRAPH" is aligned with top of sub-dials on later version, when the ROC is further from the crown). You can check with mine on my thread - it's a later version of the Big Red dial

- Service Small Red Daytona comes in 91

About your crown / tube, you should have :

- 700 if it's 70 to ~72

- Or a 702 if it's ~72 to 75

Depending of course of your S/N again

To avoid problems, the better is to avoid the transitional years when you're choosing your S/N

BTW, great watch, wear it in good health !

I just hope you will change this 703 one day :) Hope this helps !

Cheers mate ;)

• 3 months later...

So here is another update.... I'll be changing out the existing gen crown/tube and pushers for these gen parts to make this build more accurate and period correct with "All the right parts" ......for those in the know....you will know what these parts are and how hard they are to come by, and NOS of course.....enjoy!!!

IMG_9151.jpg

IMG_9152.jpg

Edited by janeto72

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So i finally got a chance to post on my recent upgrades....The Zigmeister did a great job once again on this build......here are some pics of the Daytona with the P301 pushers and the 7020 tube and 702 crown upgrades.

The next step will be the install of a Superdome T21 crystal, a new set of early production 571 endlinks and early production 78350 clasp.....I may install a 7835 bracelet with 371 endlinks or a 7835 with 357 endlinks; but i don't know if these two latter bracelets will fit.....enjoy the pics....especially Mikey..... :)

IMG_9190.jpg

IMG_9197.jpg

Unscrewed.....I love this look!!!

IMG_9191.jpg

wrist shots!!!

IMG_9192.jpg

IMG_9194.jpg