When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex crown and tube?

Inertiadrifter

Hi folks

First part of my Franken TC Sub came in.

Gen Crown and Tube from Jewelerstools (eBay ID)

AA69BD32-3EA3-4E96-BF85-CA077AF5A8D8-11007-000010EBED3FBF7E.jpg

7D733163-F5FD-4FDC-8448-33C8DC2DEF25-11007-000010EB8B382DEE.jpg

My question is:

How hard is it to change the crown and tube?

Is there a link to a tutorial where I can see if I can do it myself or send it to a watch smith?

Again, your response is greatly appreciated

You can't do it yourself. Send it or give it to a watchmaker. It involves having the right tools and knowhow to remove the old tube, replace it with gen, and swap the stem from the old crown to the new one. You would mess it up just like a lot off us would it would save you a headache and money lost in damaged parts to just send it in.

looks like youre missing a gasket for that tube (unless i cant see it, above the screw in threading, a very flat gasket) you should have 5 total (including crown)

1 on the tube (present)

2 inside the tube (currently not installed)

1 flat washer bottom of the tube above threading

1 for inside the crown

get some blue or green (rolex uses green most others use blue) loctite for the installation

you also need the special wrench (DONT buy the wholesaleoutlet one its utter crap)

plus a screw extractor and pinvise to remove the old one

and a metric tap to clean out the threads

it may be cheaper to out source this to someone who already has all these tools. other wise youre looking at

at least $65 in proper tools alone

If you can find a watchmaker to do it for $50-60, it's not a bad deal.

But, if you want to learn, invest the $65 on the tools and go for it.

It's not that hard, but part of learning is screwing up- I've busted a few case tubes in the process, but

I've done 5 or 6 of the swaps at this point and it gets easier.

JMB might be a good person to contact about doing this- he's always been fair/decent/excellent with me.

+1 for J he's a great guy and is always fair with peeps ;)

Do you really need to change the tube though inertia? The crown will be a straight swap and hopefully a pretty easy one, I've got mine sitting in the box looking at me waiting to get the balls to fit it atm!

Last time I tried to fit a Gen crown I cocked up the keyless........4 tries and subsequent failure later.....its with J being fixed :notworthy: (not a Tc sub though)

+1 for J he's a great guy and is always fair with peeps ;)

Do you really need to change the tube though inertia? The crown will be a straight swap and hopefully a pretty easy one, I've got mine sitting in the box looking at me waiting to get the balls to fit it atm!

Last time I tried to fit a Gen crown I cocked up the keyless........4 tries and subsequent failure later.....its with J being fixed :notworthy: (not a Tc sub though)

Yes, I might do that, just put the gen crown.

My question is: Does the TC tube equipped with the necessary seal/gasket to make waterproof?

If the Tc sub i have is anything to go by. With the gen crown in a good position on the TC tube It was only turning on a half turn, So I felt I could either shorten the stem and bring the crown closer to the case. Which I tested with a crown without a stem and it looked too close or install a gen spec tube, which I think is the correct option.

I'm not sure what it will entail has anybody removed TC's tube. Does installing the gen spec tube involve countersinking the hole or not.

'My question is: Does the TC tube equipped with the necessary seal/gasket to make waterproof? '

I would think so, its gen construction so should be with the seals intact, I'm sure one of the experts can probably chime in on this but with a clarks tube and Gen crown it felt smooth and wound on tightly ;)

Nice looking parts how much did you pay all up? I found another listing from that seller all good.

Are they new or used?

They are from David w/ JT in AZ, picked up several from him complete at $100 per set C and T w all gaskets.

Only thing is tell him up front to send you the best ones and inquire that the picture is what you get and if they arnt as listed can they be returned.

Hope this helps