When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Tudor 9411 Snowflake back from Watchsmith....for now.

CatchingFire

Since my 16610 and 16800 projects are on hold until I replenish the "fun fund", I figure I would show the Tudor project I just picked up from the Watch Smith!

After spending a good while trying to decide between building a 6239 Daytona or a 9411 Snowflake. For better or worse, I went with the snowflake.

What I wanted was this:

post-46532-0-74309400-1346082953_thumb.j

So after spending considerable time on ebay and such buying parts I found on Ebay a case/crystal (it has its issues but overall is perfect for this project). A dial which looked nice except the lume had been stripped and never replaced. And finally, a vintage Rolex crown to round everything nicely.

The dial is not perfect, but this age of a dial wouldn't be. I wanted a tudor that looked just like the above pic. But my dial and new snowflake hands didnt match each other. My watchsmith didn't have a whole lot of desire to do a bunch of vintaged lume without me paying an arm and a leg. So he gave me the recipe he uses to make the lume and some crapped out dials to practice on. Now the dial and hands are my lume job...for better or worse. I am happy with them though.

My WS orderd the proper movement ring. It isn't a spacer ring per say as it is very thin and hugs the movement only serving to lock it into place. but dang if this little ring wasn't $$$. An nice, Swiss ETA movment had its calender bits removed and was dropped in. I am not sure where the Rolex marked weight came from but it my WS had it in his "Hell Box" of parts so he threw it on.

The case came with the tube and the crystal already mounted so those were left alone except a nice light sand and polish of the crystal. Insert also came with the case. It is missing the click spring I think but I am not so much worried about that since a watch this age may mot have it anyway. It is on the list for future updates.

For right now it is on another Ebay purchase, a cordovan nato.

Ok, that is enough blah, blah, blah.

Here you go:

post-46532-0-21895400-1346084303_thumb.j

post-46532-0-83031500-1346083942_thumb.j

post-46532-0-39994800-1346084005_thumb.j

post-46532-0-80926200-1346084028_thumb.j

post-46532-0-11909400-1346084052_thumb.j

At this point I am wiching I would have built the 6239 as the Daytona's have really, really grown on me. But at least this project turned out pretty dang good in my newbie opinion! And I was oing to build it sooner or later so I am happy I built it when parts were available.

Edited by CatchingFire
  • Like 1

No problem. They're the closest I've seen to gen. If only the minutes hand was sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiightly narrower. :cc_detective:

Nice one Nanuq, i was going to ask where you got your hands. Mine are from CWP but the minute hand is too fat. My problem is Mr Slimeball won't ship to China so if anyone ordering a set and can add one for me i will send you money and shipping costs.

Cheers

P.

Very nice..what crystal did you use?

Interesting height and profile to it..

Enjoy ur snowflake! :)

Beats me where the crystal originated. It was mounted on the case when I recieved it. It has some odd type of patina between the crystal and rehaut so I am suspecting that it has been on the watch a while.

Edited by CatchingFire