When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 the ultimate expression?

dieselpower

I have become besotted with the 5513. So much so that I gots to thinkin'. Is this watch the ultimate expression of the Rolex companies output? Lets look at what it is:

post-2563-0-01958200-1346800216_thumb.jp

It is:

a) Almost perfect in the simplicity of its appearance.

b )Robust

c) Timeless in its appeal.

d) Iconic - it has been copied by many manufacturers, indeed it has become the 'standard' in layout of divers watches.

e) Technically unsurpassed.

f) Classless, everyone from a brick layer to a Lord can own one if they put their minds to it.

There are probably more points but you get my drift. It's like the Morris Mini Minor or the E type jaguar, a damn near perfect expression of what it sets out to be.

Do you agree?

Sold my 5512 meters first that I had restored by Bob Ridley several years ago and I kick myself every time I think about it .. Bought it for $2500 and sold it for almost 9k when the market was hot

9k ! don't kick yourself too hard and make sure you wearing your Gucci loafers when you do ;)

5513 is certainly the pinnacle of simplicity for Submariner perfection, but I must offer the 9401 as an alternative contender for the title.

234c6714.jpg

Same simplicity of design and aesthetics, but with the improved visibility of the snowflake dial and hands :good:

Plus, it doesn't say Rolex on the dial :whistling::good::drinks:

I'm partial to the 5512 myself. Earlier the better. Freddy has a good point. I like to add that Mr McQueen himself wore the 5512 though everything. I read somewhere that some 5512s had 5513 dials(no COSC wording on dial) but had the better movement, this is only one way. Ultimate tool watch that can be worn formally and is just a staple of a watch.

So, folded bracelet, pointed guards and wear it well.

E, out.