When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 the ultimate expression?

dieselpower

Pffffffft. You guys are all nuts. This is THE ultimate, the nes plus ultra of vehicles. It corners like a drunk sow on rollerskates, it accelerates like a canoe in molasses, and top speed is 316,800. Errrrrr, feet per hour. :tu:

post-32-134724736025.jpg

......which is, incidentally, 57.46 times 5513. Just to keep things on topic. ;)

Nanuq, I'm a bit out of touch anymore, but as I recall the Viper not only outperformed the Ferrari, but did 203 mph from the factory.

I'm looking to change the 'fleet' in the next few months, but will likely stay with another Mercedes for my everyday car. But I think a Corvette will replace the SL.

I'm looking to change the 'fleet' in the next few months, but will likely stay with another Mercedes for my everyday car. But I think a Corvette will replace the SL.

Unless you are having ALOT of problems with the SL &/or there was a titanic shift in the earth's crust that relocated Stuttgart's designers and assemblers to the longitudinal plots previously inhabited by Motor City, I think that swapping a modern 'Vette for a modern SL would be a bad idea. And I say that as an ex-'Vette owner (red '68 427cid with black interior - a lightning-fast beauty that could not navigate a corner to save its life).

The 1960 Corvette (`58 through `60) is my all time favorite. It will come to either one of those or the latest C6. The C4 was a world class car, and the C5 better. My first Corvette was a `65 which was the same chassis/suspension/handling as the `68, so I understand what you are saying. But the C6 will out-handle and outperform an SL.

@ aeromatic

I am in the market for a creamy dial and hands. What did you use on yours? In fact what are all the specs on that piece? When you say 'decent crown' what are you going for? Do I detect a gen insert there?

Hi dieselpower the dial i purchased off a guy on ebay he only had 2 dials for sale its marked singer and it came with this creamy look i did not do anything to it,

except to the dial feet which only fitted a gen movement

the case is a puretime redsub 1680 which is factory fitted with a eta 2846 we modded it to none hack , i found that the case was very close to the gen except for the overlong cgs i used a 1965 gen 5513 a customer had brought in for repairs as a pattern and reshaped the cgs to look as close as i could to the gen if you check my content you will see my post on the puretime 1680 converted to 5513 and i have a photo side by side with the gen

im looking for a crown slimmer like a 702 , i have had the crown trimmed from both sides on a lathe to make it appear thinner

the crystal is made by my watchmaker friend ,the insert is a yuki it was in fact fitted by yuki to my 6538 case until he sent me correct none 15min markers

i have aged the whole watch except the dial the insert was hung outside of my window for months in the hot cyprus sun on a wire, the scratches were made by it scraping on the wall on windy days!

the puretime 1680 case was chosen also because the redsub dial is 26mm most reps are around 29mm so the creamy dial was a straight swop the lug profile was indentical to the gen ,the shape i mean.

although i like the aged look on a 5513 i will build another 5513 but this will not be aged like this mabe just take off the factory fresh look!

post-27094-0-96585300-1347382233_thumb.j

This is my 5513 before the cgs were shaved down, next to a 1965 gen 5513

notice the yuki insert is an exact match to the gen

post-27094-0-50130600-1347382310_thumb.j

notice the 1680 puretime case profile is very close to the gen

post-27094-0-87254600-1347382408_thumb.j

post-27094-0-19032800-1347382514_thumb.j

post-27094-0-80840500-1347382622_thumb.j

wonder what happened to this gen cgs? mabe we forget that years ago these subs were tool watches and may not have been perfectly finished as todays subs there where so many cgs shapes back then

post-27094-0-44735100-1347382742_thumb.j

my 5513 and next to it, as it was purchased a 1680 from puretime

"wonder what happened to this gen cgs? mabe we forget that years ago these subs were tool watches and may not have been perfectly finished as todays subs there where so many cgs shapes back then"

I had an R42xxxx 16750 GMT that had been damaged somehow at the lower crown guard and it looked similar to this after the AD 'smoothed it out'.

The owner traded it in not liking the 'smoothing out' job and I bought it for $900 in 1991. It looked like new except for the CG.

It's long gone but it had an oyster bracelet with a long clasp cap similar to a submariner but no extension. I still have the clasp somewhere.

"wonder what happened to this gen cgs? mabe we forget that years ago these subs were tool watches and may not have been perfectly finished as todays subs there where so many cgs shapes back then"

I had an R42xxxx 16750 GMT that had been damaged somehow at the lower crown guard and it looked similar to this after the AD 'smoothed it out'.

The owner traded it in not liking the 'smoothing out' job and I bought it for $900 in 1991. It looked like new except for the CG.

It's long gone but it had an oyster bracelet with a long clasp cap similar to a submariner but no extension. I still have the clasp somewhere.

Interesting i would like like to see a photo of that clasp if you got one i have seen others without extensions they are very early versions

5513 simple and clean no bla bla i would like to build a tudor sub but i cant live with the snowflake dial and handset mabe in the flesh i may grow to like it but for a tudor i will stick with a rose dial with mercedes handset

On vintage subs i prefer not to have the officially certified chronometer printing (i mean why lie more that you have to) with a replica and anyway would you like your mustang or vette with writting on its body saying officially certified as a fast car?

As we said before rolex was known for using there old stock parts bin so unless we can find someone who worked at rolex in the 60s and can verify infomation anything is possible with regards to chapter rings or not ect. and things are further complcated by rolex service procedure of changing dials crowned whenever someone sent there sub in.

Edited by aeromatic

Does anyone know about the pointed crowguard sub when were they available on ever seen a gmt with pcgs yuki has a 5513 with pcgs is this shape close to the gen?

Edited by aeromatic

"Does anyone know about the pointed crowguard sub when were they available..."

I do not know much about them but here is a 1959 'pcg' 5512 on rolexforums .com:

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=252508

I am not a big 5512 fan but have a non hack 1570 and thought about making one up using an IG44 dial, low buck DW case, Clark's bezel kit, used genuine crown etc. I may flatten the sides of the case like genuine to make it look more realistic although the DW submariner cases with rounded sides are Ok (to me) after I got used to them.

I have a DW 5513 'round side' case with an IG44 dial and 1520 and have showed it to a lot of people but not one of them noticed the rounded sides. If someone is handy at modifying cases (drill lugs, flatten case sides etc) the DW case is a good low buck Frankenstein alternative to high buck cases. Add a Clark's bezel kit and away you go...

As time goes by and vintage rolex sporty watch prices go up, up, up...I believe the 'Frankenstein rolex' with aftmkt case, bracelet, dial, genuine movement, crown etc will be popular even with some genuine vintage rolex types for an 'everyday watch'. The difference being that we might brag about making our own Frankenstein watch out of parts from near and far and genuine watch types will not admit to what they have.

Tabularasa415's post about buying a F-stein from a VRF member shows that they are slowly leaking into the Hallowed Realm of Straight Arrow Collectors.

I have only seen early 5512s with pointed CGs.

i have seen a tudor sub with square crown guards yuki has it for a 5513 i think it is ugly and prefer the rounded CGs myself