When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Life in Alaska -- part HOLY COW!

Nanuq

We're having a nice break from the weather for the next 6 hours.... the wind blew half the gravel off my driveway and it's been driving the rain in sideways through my walls.

After these 6 hours we've got a storm coming down from the arctic for the next 3 days. It's going to get exciting! :Jumpy:

Wonder if I remembered to put the new lines on my trick kite? :g:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! I used to live on Bainbridge Island and commuted on the ferry. What a life. Ever been to Winslow? Best Thai ever at Teddy's place on Wyatt way.

In '65, our ship was in the yard at Bremerton, and we lived out on Hood Canal, near the Indian reservation...Back then we could buy "Lucky Lager" at the PX for $2.64 a case......We could then trade a case of beer on the reservation for a decent size freshly caught salmon...We ate a lot of salmon, and oysters were free (and EVERYWHERE!!) every low tide....We ate a lot of oysters too!!

My girlfriend's brother had a string of shrimp pots out in the canal....You haven't eaten a REAL shrimp until you have a Hood Canal "deep water red"......(They are bright red before they are even cooked!!)...

These days I live in a 2 season climate: New Years day, and summer...

Edited by frankt

Nice! We almost bought a house on the Miller Bay Spit in Suquamish, but man did it stink at low tide.

We'd dig Goeducks with the kids at Agate Pass, and walk from our house down to Ruth's on the waterfront across from you in Pleasant Beach. Man those were mellow days.