When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Beware the Vintage Movements (ETA 2846)

panerai153

After quite a bit of time and a fair amount of parts sourcing, i went ahead with my 6542 project. As part of the project I decided to purchase a puretime 6542, hoping that we could use it as a donor watch. Well, to start things off, after the puretime got to me, i decided to wear it for a few days, It didn't take much time to realize that the watch wasn't staying in time, it was losing a couple of minutes every few hours! I felt like this may be due to a really dirty and dry old movement. When I sent it up to JoeyB for the build, he put it the movement on his bench, and it was staying around 5 sec/24 hours. We debated whether or not to replace the movement with a DG3804, but Joey felt like the movement was doing OK and it might be alright. Well, long story short, I got it home, and sure enough, it went back to the same pattern. losing 3-4 minutes every 24 hours. I sent it to another very good watch person here on the forum and he told me today, the balance assembly is no good. His exact words,"The balance assembly is toast". So my point is this old 2846 is going to cost me more money, and a lot of time and frustration, mostly that part being on the shoulders of the watchmaker who has to find the parts and reassemble the movement!

The moral of the story is this. These old movements are getting really scarce, they are old, and a lot of them are worn out. they were put in, no telling how many, umpteen thousands of everyday watches. I'm sure most of these watches were never serviced properly, they were just worn and worn and worn, and finally they died. I'm sure the Chinese rep makers are sourcing their movements from these same old watches. they cannibalize the watch take out the movement and probably sell the rest as scrap. They don't check them on a timer, they just put them together, and if they wind set and run, they get shipped. What can you do as a buyer. If the dealer will send photos of the watch on the Timegrapher, that may help, but remember, mine was fine in a static position, but went crazy when worn. What I probably should have done, was to send the watch back when i discovered the time was that much off. Of course, I didn't so my bad. Just keep in mind that the 2846 is a very old movement, hasn't been produced in over 20 years, and the one you get may be on it's last legs! Even if you did as I did, on another watch a few years back, purchase a NOS watch just for the movement, it will still be dry, as it has sat in a box inside a watch for 20+ years. If you found and old classic car that had been sitting for over 20 years, before you attempted to start the engine, you would drain the crankcase, replace the oil and filter before starting, because you know that over all those years, the old oil has deteriorated, and doesn't possess the lubricating qualities it had when new. Well your watch movement is even more critical.

And as and aside, if you are planning to build a 6542, don't waste your time and money buying the puretime 6542. In the end, the only thing we could use was the movement. the case is all wrong, the dial wouldn't fit my Ming Quy case, the bracelet end links were terrible . I tried to use it on my better case, wasn't even close They "forgot' to put a Roulette datewheel on the watch, so I couldn't use the datewheel either. All in all a total waste of 200 bucks! So you would be better off trying to find the case set you want to use, a dial to fit, and then go on Ebay and buy a NOS watch with a 2846 movement. Have it serviced, and you have a brand new movement.

One of the really nice things about this forum is folks here tell you about the mistakes as well as the success stories. If one reads and heeds, a lot of time wasted, money lost and frustration can be avoided.

Well, long story short, I got it home, and sure enough, it went back to the same pattern. losing 3-4 minutes every 24 hours. I sent it to another very good watch person here on the forum and he told me today, the balance assembly is no good. His exact words,"The balance assembly is toast".

Assuming the 2nd watchmaker is correct about the condition of your balance, Borel has the complete balance assembly for $47.

Joey,

You did a beautiful job, that wonky movement isn't any of your doings, We both agreed to give it a try. it could have just as easily;y gone the other way!!

What I was trying to get across here, is the 2846 is old, lots of them are worn out from use and neglected service, and what we are getting is a crap shoot, pure and simple. If you happen to get a good movement that doesn't have a million miles and no grease jobs, you are lucky. But, you are likely to get one that has been used and abused. Sometimes a good service, oil and adjust will fix the problem, sometimes it's and expensive repair.

AFA getting puretime to replace the balance assembly, by the time I fool with them, pay for postage, etc. i would probably be just as well off buying a new assembly. Also, who's to know whether or not the one they send isn't one they picked up out of a scrap parts bin !!

I had a NOS 2846 put in an MBW 1665 SD about eight years ago. I confess I never had it serviced and it eventually stopped running (I wore it nearly every day). It is now with a fellow member who is going to give it a clean/service and well, lets see if it performs. If it doesn't I've only got myself to blame.

The 1st rep I ever saw (& bought) that was powered by a 'real Swiss-made movement' (this was a big deal back in the mid-80s when all reps came with either quartz or cheap, unbranded Asian-made/designed mechanicals) had an ETA 2846 & it ran fine for 20 years without a service. It was 2nd watch I ever overhauled when I was learning watchmaking & it is still running well today.

Of course, now that I know better, I know not to let a movement go without an overhaul that long, but the point is that any movement is only as good/reliable as its last overhaul. If done well, they will run well for many years. If done poorly or not at all, you are likely to experience problems from day-1.

• Like 1

I have the same swiss nos 2846's sneed has from the same seller for 99$ shipped. All work fine.

If your watch is at the level where you are using a Ming case...another 99$ is a drop in the bucket..to me.

Would U ming sharing your seller?, I'm planning to stick several of those movements...

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Well i ordered a cartel 1680 with 2846 eta for my tudor flake project and this movement was transplanted into my cartel 6538 because im fitting a 2783 eta which will work with my flakes dial feet, the movement was so dry it was spitting cotton . and would run for a few minutes then stop after a full service it is now running fine and keeping super time !

What do you mean the balance being toast? Was it crocked after prior service or someone fiddling with it? Often there is a problem with the balance spring not being perfect in shape, or goey and sticky. Other than that a cleaning and polishing of balance staff and jewels usually is the cause of the problem... My puretime 6542 came with this vinty ETA and it definetly needed a service before working ok.

I word of warning, be gentle with the stem release button, if pushed to hard the stem lever will slip and you will have to open up the movement to reset... I know, I just now did it... LOL :bangin:

What do you mean the balance being toast? Was it crocked after prior service or someone fiddling with it? Often there is a problem with the balance spring not being perfect in shape, or goey and sticky. Other than that a cleaning and polishing of balance staff and jewels usually is the cause of the problem... My puretime 6542 came with this vinty ETA and it definetly needed a service before working ok.

I word of warning, be gentle with the stem release button, if pushed to hard the stem lever will slip and you will have to open up the movement to reset... I know, I just now did it... LOL :bangin:

Good to know!