When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Rolex prices

danielv2000

I've noticed that gen explorer 2 prices are consistently priced in the mid $3,000 range making them an attractive option.

I've also noticed that a GMT Master can be had for low $4,000s and on occasion, I've seen the very much beloved 1675 in this price range.

These 2 models, given that I like both, are quite tempting given the price. Every time I convince myself to never back to gen, some logic in my brain kicks in that tells me spending $4,000 on a watch is not a bad idea.

What Rolex is on your must buy gen list?

at the moment its 18038 which will come either when my bank roll permits or when the right watch comes up at the right price which ever comes first.

I think when we look at some of the money spent on frankens 3-4k for the gen version does start to seem like a bargain.

As wrong as this sounds.

A franken sub with gen movement gen case,bezel, dial,crystal,crown and so on would cost over 3000usd unless you are very lucky

a gen late no date sub can be had for say 3300usd but may not be much fun for the hard core franken builder but like gen rolexes that always seem to keep there value so do gen parts so even a franken has a value for franken builder and someone looking for that sought after gem part!

strange thing is i think most of us would not think twice to purchase a 1530 gen movement up to 2000usd but would not purchase a gen roly for 3000usd even the franken will exceed this amount.

i believe in years to come a franken will have a high value of there own and become a main steam collecting item and the closer to the gen higher the price tag,

Remember that famous indy movie quote ( this pocket watch is only 10usd i take it and bury it and in 2000 years time its worth millions people will kill to get there hands on it! ok mabe a bit far fetched but you know what i mean!

Edited by aeromatic

You are correct, but you must keep in mind what year they are. Each year they hold a different value. I saw some Explorer II for $3000+, but they would be sold fairly quickly.

I think the Daytona Black/red, with Arabic numerical is on my list, but it runs for like 30k+ new. Lol

For me my gen want list would be like this (1) 1960s-1970s 5513 sub

(2) 1960s-1970s gmt pepsi

(3) 1680 redsub

Yes my list consists of vintage models only i just find them very interesting im not a big fan of the oversized submariner models but any of the pre-oversized subs are nice!

Not much chance of owning any of these vintages im afraid, with these crazy ebay prices, unless they start lowering the prices of vintages after all we are in a economic crisis

i saw a 1950s tudor not in mint condition asking price 59,999usd this is crazy to put it mildly

I can only dream! mabe i will get lucky again this year after swopping my planet ocean rep (300usd) watch for a rare gen pre-moon pre-professional speedmaster valued at just over 2000usd the guy wanted to off load this rare gem which in his own words was a pile of junk! his eyes fixed to my wrist i slipped off my PO and the guy couldent leave with my rep quick enough! in case i changed my mind! oh by the way in case you wondering i did tell him that the PO was a replica!

Edited by aeromatic

GMT Master II have gone as low as 7k around the Rolex AD's here in SoCal.

I just realized that was double of what you had in mind.

I was referring to the old GMT Master. Not the new ceramic model.

For me my gen want list would be like this (1) 1960s-1970s 5513 sub

(2) 1960s-1970s gmt pepsi

(3) 1680 redsub

Nice choices.

What's a Red Sub running for these days? There are 2 on VRF in the mid $8,000s

You can also get gmt's for under 4. Picked up a 1st year 16700 with original bracelet for $3300.

Nice pickup. That's why I am perfectly happy with my BK Transformer for now. When I find a gen at that price point <$4k, I'm in. Less the sale of the BK Transformer, that's a great deal!

I took my BK GMT Transformer and went a bit further with it so I could use some gen parts, but as has been said above the gen Explorer 2's and 16710's are very doable in price terms, relatively speaking. I won't go any further with it as the money would be best put into getting a gen.

"A franken sub with gen movement gen case,bezel, dial,crystal,crown and so on would cost over 3000usd unless you are very lucky"

I listed the parts/cost of my '1680' a few times and can not remember exactly how much it cost now but here is a close estimate:

non hack 1575 with genuine 'Mk 1' Lemrich dial and hands...$900 iirc.

c/o the mvt plus a new mainspring...$25

new stem...$5

DW case...$99

drill the lug holes...$1 for the drill bit

aftmkt crystal...$10

aftmkt case tube...$20

used genuine crown...$10 or $12

gaskets...$10

replica hollow mid link bracelet...$50

Clark bezel kit added a couple months ago...$52

total = a bit over $1100

Imho Frankensteins are worth the $$ if they will sell or part out for close to what they cost to make.

"I believe in years to come a Franken will have a high value of their own and become a mainsteam collecting item and the closer to the gen higher the price tag."

I believe so too. :prop:

"A franken sub with gen movement gen case,bezel, dial,crystal,crown and so on would cost over 3000usd unless you are very lucky"

I listed the parts/cost of my '1680' a few times and can not remember exactly how much it cost now but here is a close estimate:

non hack 1575 with genuine 'Mk 1' Lemrich dial and hands...$900 iirc.

c/o the mvt plus a new mainspring...$25

new stem...$5

DW case...$99

drill the lug holes...$1 for the drill bit

aftmkt crystal...$10

aftmkt case tube...$20

used genuine crown...$10 or $12

gaskets...$10

replica hollow mid link bracelet...$50

Clark bezel kit added a couple months ago...$52

total = a bit over $1100

Imho Frankensteins are worth the $$ if they will sell or part out for close to what they cost to make.

"I believe in years to come a Franken will have a high value of their own and become a mainsteam collecting item and the closer to the gen higher the price tag."

I believe so too. :prop:

That's quite the economical build. Today, $1,100 covers the movement.