When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fun?... Funky? Or Too Far Out?

Watchwatcher

You'll probably either hate this or like it... I picked this up fairly inexpensively (used, but not abused) recently. My opinion is that sector as a brand is basically in the 'el cheapo' budget category... but every once in a while lightning strikes and viola...you get something worth a second look.

This is the Sector Apnea, titanium case and band, rated for 300M. A comfortable 43mm case size for a diver. The red hands tell the time, additionally there is a 1hr stopwatch. Not a watch I would wear among serious company, but definitely a fun one for the beach or pool... and built to withstand some serious water pressure.

The main downside (and it did weigh a bit on my decision) is that it has an eta quartz movement (making it the only quartz movement in my collection).

The face is worth a very close look...center dial in black with concentric circles, likewise the tiny seconds dial has its own concentric circles, the yellow, orange and red background sections are not flat but have raised ridges that extend like spokes outward from the black center.

So let me know what you think! (Would it make you feel any differently if you knew this cost about the same as a decent rep?)

149201-15097.jpg

149201-15098.jpg

149201-15099.jpg

149201-15100.jpg

149201-15101.jpg

Nanug... the middle crown is screw down, and perhaps because it is titanium, the threading feels very sharp precise and tight.

Top pusher starts and stops the stopwatch function, with the yellow hand counting seconds and the large green hand for minutes. Consequently with just the minutes and seconds hand used for stopwatch, it is effectively a 1hr stopwatch, although it will continue operating after the the minute hand laps the first hour.

I am a swimmer and I find this function quite helpful for timing my 30 minute quota... if necessary i can stop the stopwatch for a couple minutes (adjusting goggles, etc) and restart. The bottom pusher resets the two stopwatch hands to 12:00. Unlike most stopwatch/chrono resets, the hands do not 'snap' back to the 12:00 position but move at a gradiated pace, clockwise back to 12:00... hard to describe, but eye-catching.

JTB... charlie cairoli... a wiseguy huh? I actually wore this on my last biker outing... and the other bikers thought it was cool... (pic below)

149326-15085.jpg

Edited by Watchwatcher

You'll probably either hate this or like it...

Correct. I hate it but know I'd love it if I wore it for 5 minutes.

The only problem is it's quartz, but I could live with that too.

Much like the Orange Monster, it's one you pick up for a laugh and end up loving.

It looks interesting but it's battery operated? Battery operated watches bad.

i don't know if 'bad' is the word, but i agree that mechanical watches are far more intriguing. of the 30+ watches in my collection, this is the only quartz (with the exception of a watch that the owner of timex gave me -- would have been rude to turn it down ;)

Edited by Watchwatcher

I'd wait in line for this one...(hi Nanuq!).... this is an out-of-the-ordinary watch and Sectors are quality watches. Not too expensive, mostly quartz driven but reliable and durable. I own two Sectors and apart from an energy refill every now and then, they have never failed me.

While my heart is with mechanical watches, I have no religious problem with quartz watches and my Breitling B1 gen is getting a lot of wristtime.

I must be an auto snob. It's just that thing when the watch stops one day and you have to pull the back off and replace the battery... like wearing a kids watch. I don't like that titanium look either.. looks like painted plastic. Very cool face and pushers though!

I had been looking for a nice titanium watch for a while, and I came down to a few options, two of which were sectors (including this one) an oris, and a pam. in person, Ti has a really nice look and feel to it, very subtle brownish tone (next to ss) and the matte/bead finish is the way to go... the sector Ti bracelet is one of my favorites with nice sturdy feel, contrasting matte vs. polished links and heft without heaviness.