When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Illegal usage of PayPal..

agentoso74

Hi, just wanna share what happened to me few days back. Two days ago, I discovered someone had used my Paypal account to purchase something. Although the amount was only Usd2 but this guy actually continuously purchased 4 times. Lucky I downloaded a Paypal apps in my iPhone that it will pompt me whenever there is a transaction used. I called up Paypal and they managed to stop the payment to go through. I had also changed my credit card to a new card with new numbers. Just to warn fellows memebers here to be aware of such cases.

Online shopping is absolutely not safe. Several years ago, I got a call from the AmEx fraud dept. They asked me If I had bought any stereo equipment to be sent to Arlington TX? I had not, seems like they found about 4k worth of charges including an airline ticket on Alaska airlines, The thieves also attempted to buy a first class ticket Dallas to London on British Airways, but the BA rep said that they would have to call AmEx to confirm the purchase l.e. AmEx woulld then call me and make sure it was me buyiing the ticket.The thief immediately logged off the BA website. Over the years,I have had several smaller thefts on my cards. What they will do at times will send a few very small "Feeler" charges through to test your cards security, and then hit you for big stuff.

Checking your credit card statements frequently,as well as having the credit card company up your fraud alert status. AnEx Delta Skymiles card always asks for my zip code and the last four digits on the card for any purchase over 15-20 dollars.

Don't forget it's not just onlins shopping, giving your card to a wiater or waitress at a restaurant is an avenue for fraud. Gas stations are plagued with thieves using card reading equipment that can be concealed inside a pump. They can come by a station at night, pop open a few pumps attach their readers and come back in a few days and remove them, loaded with lots of credit card numbers, names, everything that's on the magnetic strip. Safer to use an oil company gas card with a very low credit limit for purchases at gas stations.Nothing is foolproof, as while you are busy working trying to feed your family, the thieves are sitting around scheming up new ways to steal from you and I.

• Like 1

I really wish those bastards the @¤%&§ worst!

I do believe the best we can do is to keep track on the credit card and use safe browsers and antivirus, spam etc...

Myself I am using a script blocker, and I am surprised about how many scripts (and where they are going!) that are blocked. But the easiest is to check for the httpS, the “s” that makes the different…

If browsing and online shopping is safe? No, unfortunately….

8-)

Quite awhile ago I had my Paypal account compromised: small unauthorized purchases were made and I only found out when PayPal notified me that my account was restricted due to strange activity. By the time, I checked my account, they had fixed the problem and credited back the money. I then switched my account sign-in to a 2 step process and got the security card from Paypal that generates a random code that must be entered to log in. They usually charge money for the security card, but I got them to send me one for free.

I also use 2-step verification log in with my Google account because I've heard of the headaches people have had when their accounts were hacked.

Edited by InDenial

No matter how secure we think we are, there are folks out there right now figuring out work arounds to circumvent the security measures. i believe the best defense is to check your credit card statements onlinr very frequently. Depending on the credit card compamies is pretty hit or miss. Some are very diligent about tracking your spending activity and patterns, others don't seem to do anything. Sometimes some of the security activities are a little irritating, but when you consider they are doing it to protect you, it's worth it. It never ceases to amaze me that some folks get very angry and irrate when a sales clerk asks for ID when making a purchase, but they would be the first to scream if someone cloned their card and went on a spending spree!!

Remember, "personal transactions" of money owed (the old Gift Option), is technically NOT selling/buying of illegal goods.

While some argue that you loose buyer protection in these transactions-- I say these days the risk to the seller is = to the risk of the buyer getting scammed. PP (Personal Payment) is no different from a protection standpoint than a "Wire Transfer" that is all the rage for high dollar GEN purchased on many GEN forums.

DONATIONS therefore should never be an issue.

Remember, "personal transactions" of money owed (the old Gift Option), is technically NOT selling/buying of illegal goods.

While some argue that you loose buyer protection in these transactions-- I say these days the risk to the seller is = to the risk of the buyer getting scammed. PP (Personal Payment) is no different from a protection standpoint than a "Wire Transfer" that is all the rage for high dollar GEN purchased on many GEN forums.

DONATIONS therefore should never be an issue.

Cogent