When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Post your gen collection!

By-Tor

Okay, first up is a Charles Gigandet triple-date chrono, with the AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) wings. From what I can tell this was a precursor to the Breitling Navitimer, but I've never seen another one.

gigandet_1.jpg

gigandet_2.jpg

Next up is one of Harold's Seiko mods.

Seiko_mod2.jpg

Let's see, who's next? How about a Doxa SUB 300 "no T"? This is from the first year of production before they went to the flat crystals. This is the Sharkhunter with the black dial, and rare USD outline logo.

sharkie_300.jpg

sharkie_300_dome.jpg

Next up is another Doxa, this is the rare "Black Lung", one of ~10 made.

newbezel_sm.jpg

Now is the only watch I own with a flat crystal, this is a very early, very rare Sector Diving Team 1000 from the earliest run. It's got the machined bezel and other goodies, not the boring cast parts. Chunky meets funky.

dt1000_front.jpg

Here's the one that gets the most wrist time, it's 95% gen but not quite there, wish it was.

snowflake_dome3.jpg

My grandfather's watch. He was the head Ranger in Yellowstone Park for decades and wore this one.

ehoward1.jpg

Now we get down and dirty. Here's the 1680 Submariner that's seen some hard use. "Love it to death", they say.

2.jpg

This one has been cared for a little better. It's all original from 1964, my AD buddy added this tropical gilt dial last year, I've added a small-arrow GMT hand in the last few months.

tropical_gmt.jpg

Here's my birth-year watch. It saw rough duty, being issued to a Spec-Ops diver and when he passed on his widow gave it to me. Over the last 20 years I've been putting it back to original spec.

sub_gilt2.jpg

This one spent its life at the bottom of the seven seas. It's been everywhere and done everything. Literally. When its owner tore his foot off his diving days were over, and it became mine. I received this one from his widow, but I'd rather have him back again. I've spent several years putting this one back to all-original spec too.

finished.jpg

For some reason I really love that 1680!

Yes, it's been well loved ... some watches just wind up getting used, a *cough* lot.

Crown guards? Hey, if you're modding your rep and miss, and gouge half the metal off, they look gen!

Bashed your crown and caved in half the dots? Looks gen.

Hit it on the rocks 10,000 times and grind your "Tophat" into a "Domehat"? Looks gen. :tu:

4.jpg

Beautiful Nanuq! Beautiful!

Well they say "beauty is in the eye of the beer holder..." :drinks:

Bottom line, I think we're waaaaaaay too picky here about what a modded watch "should" look like. They come in all shapes.

I feel so not worthy by now, but here's (so far, at least) the only gen in the household worth mentioning, a 90's Cartier "Must de Tank" (vermeil, ie. goldplated, not solid gold) fitted with a budget croc grain strap that doesn't fit the buckle very well. I'm not even much of a photographer, either.... I got it on eBay w/o documentation or papers, but it's gen alright. I'm saving it for my girlfriend for a nice occasion, maybe christmas, but she recently applied for a new position in her career, so if she gets it it might be the best occasion. Hope you like it, I haven't seen a single Cartier Tank on the forum so far, rep or gen.

post-48843-0-87698800-1352203048_thumb.j

post-48843-0-75622400-1352203079_thumb.j

Yes, it's been well loved ... some watches just wind up getting used, a *cough* lot.

Crown guards? Hey, if you're modding your rep and miss, and gouge half the metal off, they look gen!

Bashed your crown and caved in half the dots? Looks gen.

Hit it on the rocks 10,000 times and grind your "Tophat" into a "Domehat"? Looks gen. :tu:

4.jpg

Battle scars and all ! Love it ! After that bold statement you should write a disclaimer at the end you might get a newbee that will actually do this to his watch ! :bangin::) Edited by aeromatic

Battle scars and all ! Love it ! After that bold statement you should write a disclaimer at the end you might get a newbee that will actually do this to his watch ! :bangin::)

That seems like a good idea... we can't have people just ABUSING watches for fun now, can we? So in that spirit........

The views and opinions expressed on this site are my own and not paid for by special interests. They may not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes. Any similarity to persons living or dead is completely coincidental, not to mention enormously fun and possibly written to embarrass or confuse. You should not attempt to operate motor vehicles while under the influence of this posting. This web page may cause severe cramps and nausea, bloody nose, dizziness, munchies, redundancy, headaches, redundancy, triskaidekaphobia, redundancy, clinophobia, redundancy, emergence of repressed emotions such as anger at your father for grounding you for a month because you tried to put the neighbor's chihuahua in a hot dog bun and stick it in the microwave, and tendencies to burst into a rendition of "Surfin Safari" while navigating various wristwatch related sites ... consequently rankling aging hippies who still haven't gotten over the demise of head shops, Jefferson Airplane, and beach movies with the crass misuse of their coming-of-age sacred cows. You should not drink alcohol in excess while viewing this web page (although there are claims that doing so makes it funnier, or at least enhances the embedded pink elephants.) Since my mother reads this site too, it is necessary to include the following additional observations regarding possible viewing results: a big new swing of confidence, living large and laughing easy, a generous swelling of pride, making sizable strides to improve ones score, throwing them hard and straight, and not traveling as light as one used to. All images, sounds, quotes and thoughts (expressed or implied) reproduced here are copyright of their respective originators. References in this web page to any specific commercial products, processes, or services by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring, unless otherwise specified. This site features stunts performed by professionals and/or idiots which should not be tried at home by anyone. Read that again. No one. Not even you. You can put your eye out. No animals were harmed in the making of this posting, although several billion electrons were terribly inconvenienced. It is possible that peanuts may have come in contact with this posting. This posting is not latex-friendly, nor fire resistant. Member FDIC, close cover before striking, refrigerate after opening. Severe penalty may be assessed for early withdrawal. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. For external application only, do not apply to genitals. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before expiration date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times are approximate. Simulated picture. For off-road use only. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. Slippery when wet. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. Do not write below this line. Watch for falling rock. Sanitized for your protection. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog, you must be present to win. Use only in well-ventilated areas. Keep away from fire or flame. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only.

This supersedes all previous notices. :pardon:

• Like 1

My humble little collection of one. I had to sell the only other gen I had to get this but I think it was worth it. 1958 5508 gilt

Ohhhhhh baby! Exclamation Point dial!

That seems like a good idea... we can't have people just ABUSING watches for fun now, can we? So in that spirit........

This supersedes all previous notices. :pardon:

I only asked for a disclaimer not an entire biography ! Ha ha ha You should lay off the beano pal ! man it took me an hour just to delete your disclaimmmmmmer

so to save anyone having to reeeeeaaaad that disclaimer all over again geeez ! :) nice one Nanuq ! :clap2:

Edited by aeromatic

My humble little collection of one. I had to sell the only other gen I had to get this but I think it was worth it. 1958 5508 gilt

A guy walked into my local watchshop and said he has a 5508 with a broken bracelet and asked the shop if they would be interested in buying it for 300 euros the shop called me to tell me and the guy said he would bring the watch in the shop , the watchsmith thought that the watch was way to much at 300 euros i told him when you see they guy tell him i want it unseen but he did not leave a contact number and i go there one a week to see if he has contacted the watchsmith being bussy he sometimes forgets things oh boy cant believe it ! Edited by aeromatic

My AD watchmaker has a buddy that used to buy up broken Tudors for $50 each, because the reversing wheels on the 390 movements were dead. He's got a drawer full of Big Crowns, you name it.

My palms got sweaty.

I tried to calmly tell him that yeah, I'd take one off his hands, busted and all.... I guess :whistling: I could manually wind it.....

He passed along the offer and the other guy went into vapor lock. Drat!

nosoupforyou.png