When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New 16622 Yacht-Master... Good or not?

rolojack

This rep is good enough in my opinion. But again it doesn't matter how well your rep is if you can't pull it off who's gonna believe its gen anyways haha

True, but I guess the question is that if it is a super-rep or an accurate rep.

Actually quite interested in the answer. Experts are welcome to answer :D

Edited by folex

I don't know if it's a V2 3135, but it has the improved clone movement with a better stem.

The watch looks decent to me- dial is ok in the pic and of course the cgs could use a trim, but you'd really have to fork over the moula to find out.

And like I said, what else is out there

You are buying this for the movement which looks perfect (hope it works perfectly)

It will certainly have better weight than typical eta Rolex reps which have always felt noticeably lighter than my gens.

The Rolex movement is a heavy movement significantly heavier than the much smaller lighter eta and ring combo

The reason no rep Rolex has ever had any staying power with me (besides the fact that I own four gens) is hat they have always felt light as a feather compared to my gens. This one should be about right I imagine

You can also add an oem or aftermarket date wheel and if you resourcefully enough a gen dial

Considering that gen 3135sl are going for roughly 1700 on the low end if this is as good as

It looks then it could be worth every penny

Can't really comment on how good the dial is because as someone who owned the gen the gen dial color never photographed the same twice. Always a diff shade of silver depending on the light

Don't know if this is superlumed or not since it is not advertised as being so I imagine it is not

I may pick this up at some point and try to nab a gen dial if early reports merit the movement

The reason no rep Rolex has ever had any staying power with me (besides the fact that I own four gens) is hat they have always felt light as a feather compared to my gens. This one should be about right I imagine

I also have own genuine Rolex models, and in my opinion the major tell in the weight is in the clasp. It feels and sounds thin in comparison. I do not know if this model will adress that issue. The movement will add to the overall weight, but the clasp on the rep just pales in the hand of anyone who has owned the real deal.

D

I also have own genuine Rolex models, and in my opinion the major tell in the weight is in the clasp. It feels and sounds thin in comparison. I do not know if this model will adress that issue. The movement will add to the overall weight, but the clasp on the rep just pales in the hand of anyone who has owned the real deal.

D

How is the sheet metal clasp weight on the gen Oyster (without diver's extension) any different than the rep sheet metal clasp?

I don't understand this statement at all. Or are you referring to the new style "Daytona" clasp?

They must be referring to the newer clasps, not the "tinny" clasps like the 9315,93150, etc. The old ones are pretty close between the reps and genuine. I have a rep 116710, and the clasp feels pretty good, but honestly, I have never had one of the genuine models in my hand or on my wrist, so I don't have any basis for comparison.

AFA the Yachtmaster, I like the watch, I've been tempted to buy one, especialy one of the WM9 /BK models, but i keep steering away, as It just seems a little too "blingy" for me.

I would like to see a really accurate head on shot of this watch, just to make sure the DW isn't left justified. I have found that is a problem with several Rolex reps that I have owned. It's not that much, and probably would never be noticable by anyone other than a WIS, but it's a sure tell if someone knows. All of my genuine Rolex watches have dead center numbers on the DW, the reps do not. I can't figure out why it would be so difficult to make a DW or overlay that fit the dial date window?

Yeah, but YM uses the old Oyster clasp.

Actually I read from somewhere that 2012 YM models have the new clasp.

Personally, I never quite warmed up to the Yacht-Master. It lost its appeal after a few months. It's just a blinged Submariner... and if you want a blinged Sub, get the 16613. Now that's a stunner.

16613-Rolex-SubMariner-EX-BLBL-l.jpg

I must disagree on the clasp have owned a couple rep bracelets that I could not tell the diff in weight with my gens

However I can always feel the weight diff in the puny eta movement and ring combo versus the 3135

I once measured my rep and gen 16710. Rep was 2 grams heavier. The older reps were even heavier because of the solid middle links on the bracelets. And there's no weight difference between the clasps. How could there be... I mean, they're both sheet metal which feels cheap and light anyway.

Generally... all that usual talk about weight differences is total and utter crap as well, spread by people who don't know what they're talking about. I don't know where this myth comes from and why it's still alive... maybe from the 80's when quartz-powered reps really were lightweight. Same thing about the "dramatic" steel color difference... you gotta be a real Trekkie bastard to see any. "Rolex steel"... they're so special... it takes a year to make one, etc. :D

It's true that the bracelet "feels" different on the gen. Mainly because of the smoothed, rounded edges. But that's for another discussion.

The 16613 would have much more appeal for me. It's dressy but not "blingy", unless you add a Diamond crusted bezel insert :nono:

AFA the steel difference, I can tell, but only when I have my 16610 next to one of my reps outside in bright sunlight. For me it's a non issue, because the only time you can tell the difference is when you have a gen and a rep side by side, and how many folks wear two watches on the same wrist at the same time?

Note to all:

The extension, i.e. the part with the rolex stamp, is undoubtedly lighter. I have owned them both, 16613 and 16622 rep and genuine, so I am speaking from experience. The bracelet imho, on the reps was not to bad, but the clasp on the rep just feel "tinny" in comparison. Anyone who has owned the gen models will tell you that there is just a "solid" feel to them. The case weight is also slightly different, most likely to do with the movement weight. I am sorry now that I do not have them to do a weight comparision for the board, as I have sold the gens, and gave away the reps. I can also say that the rep 14k wrapped 16613 was not to shaby, but the rep 16622 dial just could not compete with the gen. The gen dial is like it is alive, with the way it changes in different light conditions. The 16622 case was also slightly different, but that could only be seen in a side by side comparison. The wm9/bk models were the best I have seen to date. These new models are not bad, but the wm9 still rules imho. If anyone has a chance to do a in hand comparision, please chime in. Blessings

D