When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Very Early Vintage Sub Bezels

Davey

You could file the back side of the bezel insert and maybe it would fit better. Some people have gone so far as to file the inside of the bezel itself, to better seat the insert.

When you're talking a no crown guard sub, Rolex no longer makes those parts. Maybe a 5513 bezel insert might work, but the pearls on the aftermarket inserts are too large and gens are hard to come by.

Michael Young at www.classicwatchparts.com/ is another possibility. He makes vintage bezels for around $200!

Nope, only the bezel. The insert came from elsewhere, everything else is original.

Oh, except for the HORRIBLE lume job some joker tried a couple decades ago. He must have used a paint roller... it's on the hands and indices in that photo, and it's the reason for the most recent trip to Ziggy. I'm having him remove all that crud off the hands and dial, and restore it to the original aged look.

Sorry, by "original" do you mean it's a genuine Rolex, or do you mean as originally fitted on a rep?

As far as the "horrible" lume job goes, that's actually what made me think it was a genuine vintage Sub. I've seen a couple of water-damaged gen Subs that looked very similar (thick, crusty lume peeling away from the dial). It may look very different in person, but, based on the way the watch looks in the photo, I don't know that I'd be so quick to have it "fixed" (unless, of course, "original" meant gen, then ignore this paragraph).

Edited by freddy333