When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sweet Caroline 16610 Build

HauteHippie

Alright, here she is. Someone has been paying attention . . . ;)

Some may recall Justasgood's Selloff For Sweet Caroline. There couldn't be a better cause, of course, so I ran with it. Among the pieces being sold off to raise funds, was a nice TC sub. I didn't know what V (version) TC sub this was and still don't. Nor did I spend much time analyzing it. I simply shot a PM to the K-man with intent to buy. And I figured that since it was something worth doing, well, then it had to be something worth overdoing (to some degree anyhow). So I proceeded to procure the gen dial, the gen service crystal with AR cyclops (best invention ever by the way), while K-man procured the gen insert and gen crown. We played around with different bezels along the way, but ended up quite satisfied with the included part - it looks the part and even more importantly it feels the part. Topped it off with a fresh TC V3 bracelet and called it good.

Well, K did a fantastic job with the pile-o-parts provided and now that most forum members have identified it as gen, I would say the results do indeed speak for themselves. A really satisfying projects in the end, especially considering the cause, and definitely a keeper. Ubi has also kindly offered to waterproof it as well, so I will literally be swimming with the dolphins wearing this one come February in Maui. :)

So in case you hadn't followed the Sneak Peek thread, here she is (pardon the dust). In fact NOT just another 16610 - the Sweet Caroline 16610 . . . .

FRONT:

image-1818134694.jpg

BACK:

image-23501515.jpg

OBLIGATORY WRISTIE:

image-2422327776.jpg

Edited by chieftang

Chief,

You sure fooled me, I would have sworn it was a genuine. although most of what shows on the front side is genuine. When I looked at the case back, comparing it to my genuine, it looks like there is a little bit of difference in the bevel on the case back. the genuine has a shallower and shorter bevel, which if put side by side would make the genuine case back a little thinner. I'm not talking about much here, just a little tiny difference.

I have to say that your's is the best 16610 that I have seen yet. I would rather see a genuine dial rather than a genuine movement, if it was a trade off between the two. If everything on the front side is genuine, except the bezel and case, it's going to be really, really hard to tell this one from a gen.

Congrats on a beautiful watch for a great cause, and put together by a super nice guy, the "K man". Wear it well and with a great deal of pride.

Chief,

You sure fooled me, I would have sworn it was a genuine. although most of what shows on the front side is genuine. When I looked at the case back, comparing it to my genuine, it looks like there is a little bit of difference in the bevel on the case back. the genuine has a shallower and shorter bevel, which if put side by side would make the genuine case back a little thinner. I'm not talking about much here, just a little tiny difference.

I have to say that your's is the best 16610 that I have seen yet. I would rather see a genuine dial rather than a genuine movement, if it was a trade off between the two. If everything on the front side is genuine, except the bezel and case, it's going to be really, really hard to tell this one from a gen.

Congrats on a beautiful watch for a great cause, and put together by a super nice guy, the "K man". Wear it well and with a great deal of pride.

Thanks, buddy. Ya, I totally agree with your analysis of dial vs movement. I had/have no interest in the latter as this was to be a low cost / aesthetically pleasing beater franken. I've got my son's birth year (2004) gen sub sitting pristinely in a safe, and haven't taken the time to get in there and do a side-by-side but needless to say am pleased with the outcome here nonetheless. The back side may show some minor differences, but they are indeed minor.

PS, thanks to all for the kind remarks also. dan_189 - it's about time you showed up in this thread! ;)

Edited by chieftang

This is also hour, minute, second. Eta 2824 I presume. I think that's what TC uses, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thanks Chief,

my old eyes must have been playing tricks on me. Lack of sleep!

Beautiful watch and one i'm sure will always have a special place because of the wonderful little girl it helped.

• 1 month later...