When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Howdy from a chocolate maker

sebvad

Brand spankin' new to the world of replicas - quite exciting! Have spent the better part of the last week reading quietly here - tons of great advice and knowledge.

From what i gather, reps seem to be broken down into two categories - japanese and swiss movement (less expensive, more expensive). Is the only difference the movement? For example, here's one that's caught my eye from watchden (from what i can tell, sort of an 'approved' dealer around these parts?)

*turns out i can't link it yet - sorry, learning as i go* - Breitling Super Ocean Working Chronograph Black Bezel with Black Dial-Yellow Needle

Now, it's clocking in at about $150 (put SO intended), and is japanese movement. They've got a $350 version of it that, as far as i can tell, differs in it's internals and some cosmetic differences. In a $150 version, would i expect significant reliability or quality differences vs the $350 piece? I'm not a watch-a-holic by any stretch, so small cosmetic differences would be lost on me - i'm more trying to do some rangefinding on the overall quality of the piece...

Thanks for hosting here - great stuff!

And yes, i do make chocolate for a living. it's a terrible job, i do it for the children 8-)

Hi and welcome to RWG :)

Honestly forget the Swiss and Japanese movements

Japanese made tend to be quartz movements and Swiss are as rare as hens teeth

There is indeed cheap and expensive reps but mostly they are all Chinese.

I have a few of the lower priced watches and maybe a few more of the more expensive, most are 5 to 6 years old and all still work fine, others however are not so lucky.

Ken

Hi Sebvad, as KB says, forget the Swiss and Japanese movement slogans, they are mostly all chinese copies of those. It is true that unfortunatley 90% of the time the more expensive version will have bettter attention to detail and finishing externally etc. The best thing to do is find the watch you like and then search in the brand forum for all the details you can. Usually a review or feedback from other buyers will clue you in. Don't get too hung up on the movements for the moment, that will come later :) but basically it is a21j/quartz at the cheaper end and a2824/eta 2824/a7750 at the more expensive end. The breitling SO are pretty good reps, but afaik it is mainly the non chrono that are done better than the chrono in this case. btw welcome to the forum!

So first, the important stuff. The chocolate 8-) i've been making chocolate for 20 years, and have done business on every continent except Antarctica as a result (not a lot grows there...). I spend lots of time in the jungles trying to determine new ways of using cocoa beans, or teaching others how to use them properly. Unfortunately cocoa only grows in basicaly 3rd world countries, so i'm in hot zones all the time - hardly ever get shot at, spiders the size of your little sister are common, and yes, there such things as dragons (komodo's will try to eat you if you're not paying attention). I do love it, but it's not for everyone. I speak around the globe teaching people on cocoa, chocolate, how to use them, how to taste them, how to work with it, etc. pretty cool job.

Now onto watches - ok, forget the movement. I think what i'm hearing is that it's a bit of a crap shoot with either 'level' of watch i go with; there are some retailers who are better than others; and that members here have had both good and bad experiences with either 'level' they go with.

I'm a breitling fan myself - the code yellow and code yellow blacksteel are smokin.

Bingo!

" I think what i'm hearing is that it's a bit of a crap shoot with either 'level' of watch i go with; there are some retailers who are better than others; and that members here have had both good and bad experiences with either 'level' they go with."

sebvad you are going to do just fine in the hobby most new folks can not even find the dealer section, you are hitting the ground running.

There's lots of ways to measure value, and only one of them has a dollar sign in front of it. I've had a wealth of incredible experiences, and while i've been paid well, I've had phenomenally valuable non-$ experiences as well... i'm very fortunate! Plus the komodo's,scorpions, cobras, terrorists, volcanos, earthquakes, etc haven't gotten me yet - that's a plus 8-)

• 2 weeks later...

so, breitling skyland avenger (yellow hands) arrived today.  marvelously beautiful piece.  from order placement to receipt of watch, approximately 2 weeks from Toro (thanks T).  this has the leather watch clasp, which wasn't as straightforward to put on as i'd have though (who'da thunk watch straps might trip me up).  From time to time i can hear the mechanicals inside the watch going, which makes me a bit nervous, we'll see how it holds up.

Thanks for the warm welcome and for helping the new guy fellas - appreciate it!  i fear i may have stumbled upon a new hobby...