When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Note on 'Paul/Abay' watches...

automatico

In 2005 I bought 10 or 12 vintage style Eta powered watches from Paul/Abay and put them away after discovering they had the crystal glued to the case and the rotating bezel crammed down over it. The spring wire in the bezel snapped in between the short skirt crystal and bezel neck so it would rotate. This was not good as the crystal and rotating bezel soon fell on the floor.

Looking back, it was really not so bad as I only paid $99 for some of them and $159 for the others. They also had good date overlays, pretty good cases that would accept genspec crystal/case tube, and all models with He valves had working valves. The dials are fair with the comex 5514 dials being a little better and the hands are good with a slight curve in the middle but the no-glo lume filler is too yellow on some...but no worse than genuine 'sunny bunny' watches.

Something else...now new Eta 2836-2 are going for close to $200.

I also bought a few of Paul's 'Ultimate!' submariners and all but one had new genuine Eta 2836-2. The last one had a Seagull clone so I stopped buying them. They were $219 at first but I caught most of them later in a 'Crazy Sale!' for $159.

Fast forward 7 years and now I am giving the vintage watches a second look after giving up on DW cases with their goofy spring wire bezels, non spec case necks etc.

Every one of the Paul/Abay vintage watches came with brand new Eta 2836-2 movements. No used, refurb, or asianclone junk like you see today. They still run fine but need c/o now after being stored so long and that only costs me a few hours and a few bucks each to get them back in gro.

I made a beater out of one of the comex no date 5514 and it turned out pretty good. I used a Clark bezel kit, GS domed crystal, replica tube/crown, drilled the lug holes, and stuck a freshly c/o 17 jewel eta 2846 out of a $25 Jaques Prevard (aka Jack the Perve) watch in it.

I also pressed some solid rods through the lugs like a 5517 using 1.4mm steel rod after boring the case to accept the rods.

These watches are no longer nearly worthless with Etclones everywhere and $200 swissetas.

I still have some 'nos' (Ha!) Abay 1655, oversize Seagull ST19 Daytonas, WLD n/d exp, AK, n/d submariners, 'River' SD, ex II, GMT etc (the WLD AK use the same 36mm case/20mm bracelet as the n/d exp).

'nos' replicas...that's a new concept.

If you keep junk long enough...it becomes 'collectible'. :pimp:

• Like 1

I've got a few of the old Paul watches still around- the 5513 has a new dial in it, guess it's time to drill out the lugholes

P1000193-1-1.jpg

I put one of those better pearls in there also. The 2836-2 is still going strong. I think i paid $139 originally

The DRSD case was sent on to Chi and I kept the movement for my 16660 build

P1000193-1-1.jpg

Yup, it had the working HE valve and I put the other better pearl in that insert- another $139 deal.

The last deal from Paul was the noobmariner with a swiss eta for $159. I ended up putting the movement and dial in my Euromariner

P1000210-1-1-1.jpg

Sure would be nice if photobucket would work!

Edited by alligoat

I have been doing reps for 27 years. I always use gen swiss 2836-2 and 2834-2. I used to by them new, $30.00. And that was just buying 1 at a time. If I bought more than 1 I got an even bigger break. Of course then, I could call rolex in NY and order anything I needed, and it would be here in a couple of days. My, how times have changed

"My, how times have changed."

You got that right!

If swatch gets permission in 2013 to cut off Eta movements to swiss companies who now rely on them (after already cutting off parts kits aka ebauches)...I bet the next move will be to cut spare movements and parts to supply houses down to almost nothing.

Then we will be seeing $300 2824/36, $500 2892, and $1000 7750.

There will still be swisseta clones (sellita etc) and asian etaclones but they are not exactly the same when it comes to parts from what I have heard. Parts for sellitas are relatively hard to get and there are no spare parts for asian etaclones to speak of. Companies like TAG Heuer are glad to use sellita movements rather than Eta because this gives them total control of parts until they are stocked in supply houses (if ever). If sellita choses to limit parts, only the oem factories will sell them at their screw-u repair shops forcing the watch owner to send the watch to them and pay $500 for a $50 repair. This is why rolex is cutting off parts to repair shops all over the world.

I remember calling ProTime (TAG's repair/parts outfit) a few years ago and a very rude huffy puffy woman told me I was "not qualified to work on their fine swiss timepieces" and therefore they would not sell me a crown. I told her I needed the crown because the watch was to be used for 'boot' in a push mower trade at the local flea market and for some reason all the 'good ole boys' wanted TAG Heuers for boot when trading their worn out lawnmowers and chainsaws.

She was not amused.

I actually like TAG Heuer watches, mainly because they are so cheap when purchased used. I bought a 'black and gold' TAG 1000 diver with the original bracelet last week (at the flea market of course) for $40...straight out, no lawnmowers or chainsaws involved.

It needs a crystal but the crown is good. :snorkel:

Rolex is not really cutting off their suppliers. However, if you need a part, you must send them the old one first. Did I mention you had to be certified by them also. As of now swiss eta is being mfg. It's been a workhorse of the automatic watch industries. Im sure someday, the 2836's 24's &34's may reach 500.00 Automatico you are correct, the asian clone is not really a clone, it's a copy. The parts, right down to the screws are of very poor quality. It's like buying a bolt at a bolt store, there are bolts with no markings on the top, very poor quality, and another looks just like it, same size exactly, with 6 marks on the top, very high strength and high quality. The bolt with no markings is the asian clone, the one with 6 marks is the gen swiss..

Sometimes I can't figure out why we love Rolex watches as much as we do! They are absolutely the most arrogant, self serving company in the world. All Rolex cares about is pushing watches out the door, service is and afterthought. i do believe that their ultimate goal is to eliminate ALL independent watchmakers that are currently servicing Rolex watches. if Rolex can choke off all the independents, and require that every Rolex that needs service be sent in to the nearest Rolex SC, then they are in total control. There will be no more Rolex parts for sale by individuals, period. Forget about finding a new insert for a 16610, or a new crystal for your GMT IIC. The only alternative at that point will be to use all aftermarket parts on your projects, as there will be no genuine parts floating around. If you own a genuine contemporary Rolex, all this means is some inconvenience and more costs for a service. Unfortunately, for those who have Rolex watches that are no longer eligible for service, then you are in a pickle. Right now, as watches fall off the list of RSC service eligible, a fairly good supply of parts is stillavailable, and the watchmakers can get some of the parts from Rolex, Today. That's not to say that tomorrow or next week, they send out a letter saying sorry, even though you have been a certified Rolex watchmaker, and you have had a Rolex parts account for 25 years, as of such and such date we will no longer supply Rolex parts to you. We suggest that you instruct your customers to send their watches to a RSC for service. Pretty crazy, but they are in control.

@ panerai153,

You are quite right. That is why I sold all of mine, save for my tridor. My local watchsmith, a former employee of the AD, finds it to taxing to get parts. And the local AD will simply send your watch off to the service center(sometimes for six months) for repairs! They have lost me as a customer. It is like owning a hi-end motor that is getting on in age. If you can not find a independent repair shop to take care of it, it is not worth the time and money(in most cases) that the dealer will charge you for repair work.

D