When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Life in Alaska

Nanuq

Well then get your sorry flatlander butts up here gents! Winter is just starting to get interesting with months to go! :tu:

Dry clothes, map and compass, road flare, spares and tools, garbage bag and baggies, water, check. Let's go!!

Well that sounds like a crazy ass bike ride! I've ended up in the ER after a few of mine but nothing like your story! Of course I live it TX and the furthest north I've ever ridden is Boulder CO, was only 25 or 30 although there was snow on the ground. Here I was riding my cross country full suspension bike with my 1.8in tires slipping and sliding like a fool, and what do you ride? Looks like 3in? Full rigid? Buddy system, or at least someone that will come point and laugh when you've done something stupid! :-)

Man,

Nanuq, I was going to either bust you balls or say something funny about your story. But, after reading it twice. You could have died !!!!

It sounds like the hypothermia was already clouding your judgement early into your trek. 

Just glad it turned out sorta ok. Sorry about your frost bite.

what do you ride? Looks like 3in? Full rigid?

It's a Pugsley, made by Surly.  It goes great off-trail.  "Singletrack" takes on a whole new meaning!  :tu:

post-32-0-35960100-1354661274_thumb.jpg

post-32-0-90296700-1354661466_thumb.jpg

Well at least you guys know your RWG team members are made of stern stuff. :)

Nanuq may have broken many of his own scout rules but at the same time years of scouting is probably what kept him going where others would have stopped.

Ken

i know i'm late to the game here, but phew -- glad to hear you are OK nanuq.  as for ideas, i always thought find me SPOT was an interesting product / idea.  not the cheapest solution, but when you are talking life and death....

anyways, hope you are on the mend B -- your story is a good reminder that you can't be too prepared when going into the wild.

all the best,

deltatahoe