When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

my new rolex 1665 mbw/mbk great white

Tonyyammine

i got this from reg a week ago. i like it but theres a few things i dont like about it. is the pearl supposed to look like that? for the money i spent shouldnt it have come with the correct case back and silver datewheel? also the sides of the 91350 bracelet are polished is that right? and the diver extension to me looks terrible.anyway all said i like the watch i like the way it fits me. i have a 702 gen crown, a gen (who knows) t-39 rolex crystal and a old sub insert, that i would like to know if i can use for this. ok here are some pics. they are the pics reg sent let me know what else i need to do here and later this year i ask again on who i should send this out to. thank all.       btw i already posted this on RWI but for some reason my pictures dont come out good there.

post-43810-0-12889400-1355518985_thumb.j

post-43810-0-94567900-1355518996_thumb.j

post-43810-0-50621300-1355519005_thumb.j

Welcome to the MBW club! Now let the modding begin. The pearl on the 1665/1680/5513/5512 MBWs all suck big time, but if you can get it out of there and put in a Ofrei or Yuki pearl, you should be fine. Bracelets have never been great on the MBWs although your end links look nice, but they have the wrong numbers on the back. You could brush the sides of the bracelet. Caseback is wrong for the GWSD, but who's going notice if you keep the watch on! Datewheel is the standard MBW DW, good luck getting a correct one. Crown guards look decent but could use an inside trim. Drilling the lugholes should also be on your list. If you do a put a 702 crown on there, you'll need a 7020 tube- those are tough to find also. But that's an MBW- you pay for the watch and then you pay again doing all of the mods to make it right. But when you get finished, you'll have one fine rep. 

Just out of interest, what model is that case back actually from?

The caseback is from the earlier DRSD

The GWSD should have the 'ROLEX' rolled along the outside perimeter of the case back like the rest of the writing

IMG_340311.jpg

This is the GWSD caseback! But as is the case with vintage Rolex, the rules aren't always hard and fast

Tc bracelet wont fit Tony, its made for the later cases (sapphire crystal) without lug holes, I did try it mind ! I used the clasp in the end on mine (not correct but great improvement) This one has Gen crown, crystal, insert/pearl so far  :) new end links are on the way............

IMG_1288-1_zps9feecefb.jpg

IMG_1248_zps607cae25.jpg

IMG_1248_zps607cae25.jpg

IMG_1282_zps571e2bdf.jpg

HI Tony, you can't go wrong with an MBW/ MBK 1665.

Here is mine. The mods possible are limitless which is dependant on your budget

Mine has

- Gen faded bezel insert

- Ingod44 rail dial which hasn't been relumed

- ETA2846 

- Silver flat top 3 date wheel overlay from Fxrandy

- Gen 93150 bracelet

- Gen crown

- Gen crown tube

- Gen T39 super dome

- reshaped crown guards which I think is the first mod you should get done

- redrilled holes to 2mm which is also a must.

To gather parts, always keep an eye here on RWG, parts do come up and also on the gen fora.

photo45zv.jpg

• Like 1

Well i will be using one of you to mod my watch when i get the parts. Mjmj why did you replace your dial? Was the ingod that much better? I really like the dial it has. I would like to get that insert you have its very nice.

Both mjmj and my inserts are simply old genuine parts, faded by sun and salt water. mine less so, than his.

• 1 month later...

Maria was a trusted watch merchant years ago. He is long gone. He is the one who first introduced this particular watch to the community. MBK is a mall in southeast Asia. MBK is it's name. There is a shop in the MBK mall where you can buy these watches. MBK is an acronym for "the mall of everything."

So this is the notorious MBK shopping mall in Bangkok that the MBK sub is named after.

post-48572-0-11605300-1358904306_thumb.j

. Maria bought the MBK's at the above mall many years ago. However ,now, it is almost impossible to find a MBK .  The  popularity of the MBK is due to its transformation qualities (it can take gen parts)

Can I ask how much was the MBK originally sold for by Maria?

Lol

It is not impossible .. it is not even hard .. there are dealers and modders who will happily sell you an MBK watch either plain or modded/improved. I know sometimes people tell you a tall tale to make their older watches (MBW etc) seem more desirable and more costly when they sell them.

So this is the notorious MBK shopping mall in Bangkok that the MBK sub is named after.

. Maria bought the MBK's at the above mall many years ago. However ,now, it is almost impossible to find a MBK .  The  popularity of the MBK is due to its transformation qualities (it can take gen parts)

Edited by Jkay