When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to buy a mbw 1016 dial?

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Nobody makes a 1016 dial to fit a A2824-2, except for MBW. But everyone gets by by removing the dial feet and gluing the dial to the top movement ring.

You might check out the Yuki dials- they're reasonably priced at around $128

http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6380817/6238531.htm

They used to be very good and then went downhill. But this one looks decent to me. LHOOQ is the resident Explorer I pro- you could check with him and see what his opinion is at this time on the Yuki dials.

(Yuki dials) "They used to be very good and then went downhill"

I got a Yuki 5512 dial a few months ago and the black paint and white letters are very good but a couple of the lume dots look like melted ice cream. I used it anyway and might get a dial from IG44 when there are no more complaints about luminous paint falling off.

It's hard to believe that 'Paul' sold me some (1680/5514/SD) Eta dials almost as good for $10 each 8 or 9 years back. Some of the lume dots were the same color as Ole Yeller though.  :animal_rooster:  

"I recall someone saying a gen dial can be had for $250?! I'd love to buy 2 if it's possible"

Facts, figures and misc BS...

I bought a new 1016 dial from a 'friendly' rolex AD 5-13-96 and it was $60 for the dial, $11 shipping (USPS registered mail) and $4.75 tax = $75.75.

Bought a new 1016 Lumi dial (signed T-25) a few years later from an AD in Denmark and it was $250 + DHL shp and $30 import fees = about $300.

My first new Zenith Daytona 12-18-92 was $3865 out the door.

The last two 10-1-96 and 10-30-97 were $5100 each - 10%, no sales tax = $4590. 

New GMT Master II (3085 mvt) 5-89 $1465 (store closing blowout price).

New steel submariner/date 8-25-94 $2065.

Used GMT 1675 6-10-97 $325.

Used 90% 16233 DJ w/22 link jubilee bct 1-9-08 $1000.

NOS 1957+/- Ingraham Roy Rogers and Trigger wristwatch in original box (model 53) $0, 5-19-93.

NOS Bradley mechanical Star Wars wristwatch with C3PO and R2D2 (cpyrt 1977) in orig box $0, 5-19-93.

Not many deals like this around now. They have all gone away thanks to eBay etc.  :cry2:

• Like 1

Aha! I found it! The lucky guy is Akira!

Now no way am i trying to cast aspersions on Akira's character coz he's proven himself to be a stand-up guy and i do so love reading his threads. But it appears he's the lucky guy who can get these bad boys at a steal!:

Lo', on 25 Dec 2012 - 11:50, said:snapback.png

There are some dials back at NDT which are either 28 or 29mm in diameter. Given the steep price (USD 255) I'm not willing to run any risk: Can someone confirm that one of these will fit my case and movement?

And for what is about the hands: Which one should I get? Can you recommend a set?

$225 for an aftermarket 1016 dial is crazy talk!

$250-300 buys you a genuine service dial. 

I love women. I have all their albums.

I'm a unitard

e53503d3.jpg

'Nothing is either as bad or as good as we think it is at the time.
That's why T.O. mocks his opponents immediately after scoring.'

"Wow auto, that's a lot of numbers you're remembering! Are you an accountant?"

No, it's all in a notebook going back 40 years.

A lot of common stuff is not written down.

No notes on quartz watches except maybe cartier, ebel, TAG etc.

Wholesale lots listed only for date and quantity. Current inventory would be a fairly close guess.

"Yeah somebody's always quoting some super deal. Unfortunately i never get to be that somebody."

I'm not that lucky either...

A friend of mine bought a grab bag full of costume jewelry at a yard sale for $2 and it had an 18k gent's Vacheron in it (!!). Not long after that he bought a brand new Ridgeway Grandfather clock in the box for $30. He hauled it to his jewelry store, put it together, and sold it for $1200. Then he drug an old ugly azz $25 triple date moon phase mantel clock of some sort in...it was on the shelf in his shop for a week or two and a guy walked in and said "Will you take a $thousand for that?" He said "I'll load it for you." Away it went.

I saw him about a month ago and he gave me a titanium Citizen Eco-D Navihawk because he could not set it. I offered to pay him for it and he said "Forget it, I only gave $5 for it."

I need to follow him around.

The guy is a real character, a few years ago we paid him and his store partner 25 cents each to put batteries in 25,000 watches...911 (right now!). We furnished the batts...Maxell 377 in packs of 500 in trays with a big piece of tape over it.

It took them a month. I watched them after they had the routine perfected...one popped the caseback off, flipped the battery in the floor, and laid the watch parts on the work bench. The other guy stuck a battery in and snapped the back on. They just walked around on the old batteries, kicking them under the bench now and then. After they got done, they picked the old batts up and sold them for $600. After they got to 25,000 there were still a couple thousand watches left that we did not need so I carried them home and still have them. Should have pitched them in the trash.

After that, he said every time he closed his eyes he saw a 377 battery.

Since then we call him 3-7-7.

Guest zeleni kukuruz
"Wow auto, that's a lot of numbers you're remembering! Are you an accountant?"

No, it's all in a notebook going back 40 years.

A lot of common stuff is not written down.

No notes on quartz watches except maybe cartier, ebel, TAG etc.

Wholesale lots listed only for date and quantity. Current inventory would be a fairly close guess.

"Yeah somebody's always quoting some super deal. Unfortunately i never get to be that somebody."

I'm not that lucky either...

A friend of mine bought a grab bag full of costume jewelry at a yard sale for $2 and it had an 18k gent's Vacheron in it (!!). Not long after that he bought a brand new Ridgeway Grandfather clock in the box for $30. He hauled it to his jewelry store, put it together, and sold it for $1200. Then he drug an old ugly azz $25 triple date moon phase mantel clock of some sort in...it was on the shelf in his shop for a week or two and a guy walked in and said "Will you take a $thousand for that?" He said "I'll load it for you." Away it went.

I saw him about a month ago and he gave me a titanium Citizen Eco-D Navihawk because he could not set it. I offered to pay him for it and he said "Forget it, I only gave $5 for it."

I need to follow him around.

The guy is a real character, a few years ago we paid him and his store partner 25 cents each to put batteries in 25,000 watches...911 (right now!). We furnished the batts...Maxell 377 in packs of 500 in trays with a big piece of tape over it.

It took them a month. I watched them after they had the routine perfected...one popped the caseback off, flipped the battery in the floor, and laid the watch parts on the work bench. The other guy stuck a battery in and snapped the back on. They just walked around on the old batteries, kicking them under the bench now and then. After they got done, they picked the old batts up and sold them for $600. After they got to 25,000 there were still a couple thousand watches left that we did not need so I carried them home and still have them. Should have pitched them in the trash.

After that, he said every time he closed his eyes he saw a 377 battery.

Since then we call him 3-7-7.

Crazy and funny :D

This guy at VRF showed two service dials at 300 Euro. I contacted him a couple of times and he never had another one.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1339059203/FS+many+rolex+dials

That's about the best deal I have seen on a gen dial recently. But hey, you could go for this one instead .... :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-EXPLORER-dial-for-1016-or-5504-come-with-his-hands-same-patina-/150959605268?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2325e4c614

Sorry for the very late response to this thread!

tomhorn: If I had more cash on hand at the time, I would have bought both of those dials.  It's going to be very hard to find similar tritium service dials in that condition, and at that price, again. 

You might check out the Yuki dials- they're reasonably priced at around $128

http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6380817/6238531.htm

They used to be very good and then went downhill. But this one looks decent to me. LHOOQ is the resident Explorer I pro- you could check with him and see what his opinion is at this time on the Yuki dials.

Assuming that Yuki's photographs are accurate (big assumption), the only decent-looking 1016 dial in the lineup is the Gilt Gloss with yellow lume, which looks similar to Yuki's older stock.  The other two 1016 dials have terrible fonts, and numerals that are both poorly shaped and situated too far from the edge.