When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally, got the scratch off of my Rolex DSSD crystal

DeeCee

Hi All,

A while Back I posted pictures of my DSSD rep that made love with my the lugs of my friends titanium bulova precisionist. Left a nice deep scratch on the Crystal. After testing out some ways to polish off plastic I figured out that the watch had a sapphire. I learned from a PAM forum on how this guy got the scratch out of his crystal

Using Diamond paste 2.5 Micron and then 0.5 Micron to polish it off. Let me tell you, the crystal is so smooth and glossy now.

Here is the pic of the original scratch. Deep ones at hour marker 4

29e29t2.jpg

Heres the tape off and the diamond paste arriving

24lmret.jpg

Diamond paste application

359d6pe.jpg

Self grinding diamond paste by hand with a cloth, did this for 30 minutes

14cxogn.jpg

Now, the lighter scratches did come out, but the rest were tough, I ended up getting a dremel with a polishing tip and give it a whack. And it worked!

2r40vvm.jpg

This diamond paste can be had for about $6/tube which is about 5 grams per tube.

Edited by DeeCee

I'm not sure what scratched it, it wasn't an AP offshore  :) , just mentioning that offshore tools shop on the forums stocks that diamond paste also if anyone needed some. Scratch was on a gen AT, bought it with the description that is was a 'minor' nick and a few select nicely shadowed shots saying it would easily come out, granted it was cheap so I went with it. Bigger scratch than I thought, looks like I'll need to sit down for a while and get into this process.

Thanks for the pics and writeup though, it got me motivated :)

Edited by cougar1

I didn't think it could either, which is what made me think the crystal was plastic of some different material. As far as I read in the past, only diamonds and some other misc materials could do the job. Apparently the short corners of a titanium lug can do the job as well.

OK .. just a thought for you .. there are versions of the DSSD which come with the normal mineral glass crystal. It's the model that sells for $99, and comes with a china A21j movement inside. Describe for me how it feels to wind this watch .. can you hear or feel an obvious buzzing in the crown as you turn it?

I work in light industry and after 3.5 years of banging this DSSD on steel racks and shelving it has zero scratches.

• 2 months later...

What do you guys think would be the best method for a scratch like this? Its not deep, and it feels more like a scuff than a scratch. The picture looks worse than it actually is, and I'm probably the only one who notices it,  but its all I see when I look at the watch. It happened when my GF dropped her keys in the same bag pocket my watch was in.

This Is supposed to be sapphire, so im guessing this is AR damage. So what do I do? Autosol/Polywatch or diamond paste? I'm thinking anything but diamond paste since the Crystal is probably not damaged.

imag06961.jpg

When you have double AR coating, unfortunately you will get these damages. The coating is not hard, like the crystal, and it will mark up over time. When you can not longer accept the sight of these marks, buff off the coating, and you will have Single AR instead of double. If you love the watch, you can always have it re-coated on both sides.