When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question on winders

Legend

I want to get your valued and expert opinions on keeping watches on a winder constantly, particularly watches with the A7750 movement, since that is the movement for a lot of rep watches.

I have had opinions from both sides of the camp and I am still unsure whether I should continue to auto-wind my watches. 

Thank you very much for any help.

Legend I wish I knew for sure also. :g:  My winders have speed and direction options I gather if you know your movements there are appropriate settings but I do not know which per movement. :bangin:

MOAB bro, thanks for your input. Can you share what is your setting for an A7750 please?

Well you now know the right settings... It's time for me to tell you to throw that winder out the window :p

No seriously. Having a watch on a winder gives you the pleasure of an always running watch for you to put on whenever you like. But it also means it is under constant strain and wear and tear will increase. It is like having your car running on a Dyno roller 24/7 at 100 mph. If your engine is a piece of sh!t it won't take long for it to break down. If your engine is in top notch condition however it will not matter as long as you give it it's maintenance on time. Where a normal movement needs to be cleaned and oiled every +- 5 years, even if you don't use the movement as oils will dry. A constantly performing movement will need service faster as oils will gumm up.

So if you have stock non-serviced A7750s I personally would not recommend a winder.

Well you now know the right settings... It's time for me to tell you to throw that winder out the window :p No seriously. Having a watch on a winder gives you the pleasure of an always running watch for you to put on whenever you like. But it also means it is under constant strain and wear and tear will increase. It is like having your car running on a Dyno roller 24/7 at 100 mph. If your engine is a piece of sh!t it won't take long for it to break down. If your engine is in top notch condition however it will not matter as long as you give it it's maintenance on time. Where a normal movement needs to be cleaned and oiled every +- 5 years, even if you don't use the movement as oils will dry. A constantly performing movement will need service faster as oils will gumm up. So if you have stock non-serviced A7750s I personally would not recommend a winder.
How resilient are the mechanisms that alter the time / date though? I would have thought its a toss up between more wear and tear on the watch gears, spring, etc vs. wear and tear on the time setting parts (which from the problems I read about keyless mechs going wrong, don't seem that reliable?) Richard

Because a proper, well designed winder (set correctly for your movements) mimics normal wrist movement, it should not put any more wear on a properly maintained watch than the watch would receive from daily use. However, if the movement has not been maintained (properly overhauled at least once every 5 or so years), then I would recommend against using a winder. For whatever it is worth, the only watches that really ought to be kept on winders are those with non-quick set dates that take so long to set that, were it not for the winder keeping them charged, they may not get worn because they are a pain to set.

As far as 7750s go, the few times I have placed my secs @ 6 Daytonas on winders (my winders are all bidirectional), even set for 1000TPD, the winders have failed to keep the mainsprings fully charged. Everything else does very well on winders at their recommended TPD settings
winderpadding2__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

• Like 1