When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can't decide between a Rep or used Omega... HELP!

TimeToPretend

There are no good Skyfall reps that I'm aware of at least. Current models have incorrect case backs among other issues.

Of the two choices, get a gen Omega. In fact, if you don't currently have a gen Omega or Rolex or comparable, I suggest getting one and when you get a nice rep, you will truly understand how good these rep builders are, despite how much all of us [censored] and complain about minute tells.

My first nice gen was a circa '97 Omega SMP Chrono.

I just realized that all the good used Omega gens (such as the Submariner) go for $2,000+. I think I'll stick with a rep instead. 

I'm not trying to fool anybody with my Skyfall watch, but regardless, I doubt people will care about the backside of the watch.  Should I still get it, or should I go for a different Omega rep? 

I just realized that all the good used Omega gens (such as the Submariner) go for $2,000+. I think I'll stick with a rep instead.

I'm not trying to fool anybody with my Skyfall watch, but regardless, I doubt people will care about the backside of the watch. Should I still get it, or should I go for a different Omega rep?

You should go for a 42mm PO or the 45mm UPO.

Sunnydale crystal mod is also a given.

Edited by dbane883

Can you afford a $2000,- for a used gen, that's maybe a yes. But is it worth it? You should get a rep first. Keep it on your wrist for a while and decide how it feels. You can always switch to a gen if you love the watch..

And about the 007, I would go for a Omega PO.

+1 Try the rep first if you can, if you love it and it's a keeper then buy the Gen   ;)  you can always sell the rep later, sort of try before you buy if you like  :inverted:  

Oh and don't get any Bond special edition rep :bangin:    

Agree with both routes here buddy......get a decent rep for $2-300 and see if you like it. If you do you can list in for sale section and get most of your cash back then buy gen or if you know you like the planet ocean for example save your cash and buy the gen. :) I had a Swiss eta and ended up liking so much I fitted lots of gen parts then liked it even more and ended up selling it and buying a 2011 gen which I absolutely love and think will always be in my collection :) hope this helps bud ;)

why has no one said this...

buy the rep. the PO.

take the $1500.

travel to London?

or maybe instead, rent a limo to take you and your GF to a fancy hotel room for a night? champagne on ice?

or spend $100 on driving say an Aston Martin around a racetrack?

either way, you'll feel more like James Bond doing any of those things with a rep on your wrist than being broke + rocking a gen Omega.

I promise you, after a bottle of champagne in your room at the Ritz (or the W, the Four Seasons, whatever) your GF won't be scrutinizing the rehaut space on the rep.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well for me, I now buy rep's. I've had plenty of gen's before and although I've loved them all, I like too many different models.

The gen's are unmatched in build quality, but after many years of admiring, buying, selling & trading I've come to this conclusion (for me at least).

I lust after a particular model, start to hunted-down / chase by whatever means I need to (buy, sell, trade). Once I get the watch, I wear it for a little while and then the process starts all over again. For me, the only problem is I found the lusting / hunt was more exciting than the acquisition. Plus I can’t afford to have more than just a few  gen ‘Grails’ in-stock at once. Then I also came to the concussion (or realization) that ‘it only tells time’. So do I Really need to spend that much on just one watch! So now I fulfill my passion with buying nice quality reps. Now I get to enjoy more watches in my stable, don’t feel as guilty spending the money (because its much less) and its still, its just as much fun in the ‘hunt-pursue-acquire’ process as ever.

Enjoy,

Dave...