When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Little Off Topic Venting

icoopernicus

Let me preface this little tale with the following qualifier, I take care of all of my things and this extends beyond just my watches! I love wearing luxury watches, I like having nice clothes and a nice laptop, nice cell phone, nice shoes and nice cars. I'm not one for weathered, worn out, beaten up and used, I like everything to look like it just came off the shelf, like I just pulled it out of the box or drove it off the lot. I wash my car every week (in the summer, winter is a crap shoot of salt and sand on the roads) and I regularly clean my watches and cell phone to keep them free of finger prints and other smudges. Is it a little OCD, maybe, but I don't think so, I just take pride in my things and was proud that after two years of use, my old iPhone 4 was still in mint condition (seriously, I mean mint!).

So it should follow that when I park one of my nice cars (nothing special, but still nice) in a parking lot I park further away from the exit, in a low traffic area where someone is less likely to park right next to me. This is done in an attempt to avoid scratches and dings from careless folk whose doors are opened more carelessly than mine, or whose belt is dangling with keys, cell phone holster, and other things that I wouldn't be caught dead clipping to my belt :p I do this because my car looks best when it's shined up from a fresh wash and a wax, when the rims are break dust free and when THE DOOR DOESN'T HAVE A 5 FOOT LONG SCRAPE RUNNING DOWN THE PASSENGER SIDE BECAUSE, WHILE SOME ASS HAT OUT THERE CANNOT DRIVE, THEY ALSO LACK THE DECENCY TO LEAVE A NOTE TO COVER THE INHERENT COST OF REPAIRING THE FRONT AND REAR PASSENGER DOORS OF A LUXURY VEHICLE! Sorry for the typographic yelling, I'm just really upset by this and currently want nothing more than to track this person down and confront them, why the hell should they get away with causing that much damage to my car? I want their insurance to cover this, I want them to cover my deductable and most importantly I want them to be held responsible for their wreckless and careless operation of a motor vehicle!

I'm at work now but I'll update with some pictures when I get home tonight, you should really see this scratch, it's pretty epic for a parking lot oops. I guess now I'm just off to call my insurance company and see if they will fix this one for me.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

You Sound a little bit gay if you ask me :D

And scratches just makes it vintage and nice, again if you ask me!

Mr C, im just joking mate, its a [censored] when this happens and i bet it was probebly a girl that did it!!! Mother [censored] couldent leave a not that makes me mad as hell!!! Hope it will note be to costy for you!

Feel your pain mate I really do  :bangin:  there are some arrogant a**holes in the world that couldn't give a shit about you or your belongings ! I'm pretty much the same with my stuff, 5 years after owning anything it still looks new, it's an old school thing I reckon but when I was younger I couldn't afford a lot so 'had' to look after my stuff   ;)

Couple years ago I bought the wife a new car for her birthday, she had the car for 2 days and had driven it under 200kms when she parked up for a couple hrs shopping, when she came out and saw the car she didn't recognize it  :huh:  some f**ker had driven into the drivers side and did about 10k worth of damage to it :fool:  no note left and the shopping center camera's didn't catch a thing, needless to say my better half was devastated at the time and I was bloody fuming, poor sod had to do without it for the next 3 weeks while it was repaired! 

Hope you get it sorted swiftly mate   :)  here's a few beers with ya  :drinks:  

Ha, ZK - I actually get that a lot, not sure why, oh well.

Talked to the insurance and a hit and run goes under collision which is a $1000 deductable rather than my usual $300 for incidental. When I found realized it was going to be $1000 bucks I immediately thought about the watches I wouldn't get to buy with that grand!

SGT - that sounds a lot worse than what this person did but I've already started sluthing and should be able to figure out who hit my car.

Hockey game between two towns (all minors, so their parents would be driving) just show up to the next game they play and look for the damaged minivan and hope the driver isn't a big dude!

• Like 2

Through the clearcoat, through the paint and down to the metal in some spots! This was contact that you would definitely know you made while backing out of your parking spot. Probably looking at door skin replacement and new paint for both passenger side doors.

I agree, $1000 is nothing to scoff at, I'd much rather keep my hands on that money.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Here in sweden we pay like 350$ to our insurance for any damage to the care and they fix the damage, if you have full insurance that is. But 8 out of 10 drive a fully insurance car.

The price is very very high in the states :(

Aaassshhhhh, i realy feel for you mate!!!

I certainly feel for you. It is bad enough to have your car damaged, but the purposeful anonymity of the guilty party only compounds the pain. Depending on your will power & available free time, you could do some detective work & check with any of the businesses served by the parking lot to see if they either saw anything or have cameras that may have photographed the incident. Most likely, though, even if they did, pinning down the required license number would be a longshot, at best.

My (semi-restored) Z was recently scratched (badly, down to bare metal) by 1 of the revolving brushes inside my local car wash & the car wash owner refused to accept fault &/or reimburse me for the cost ($1,200) of repairs. Unfortunately, in these cases, you just have to deal & chalk it up to another part of the rich pagent of life. :)

Unfortunately, even if you find the culprit, it's going to be pretty hard to pin anything on him unless one of the surveillence cameras got the whole thing on tape. all he isx going to say is "I don't know what you're talking about, I was never in that parking lot, and by the time you file a charge  for hit and run damage, his car will be spotless, no paint ,no damage and never been there. i'm afraid this as freddy said "another part of the rich pagent of life". Park further away next time.  I try to park as far out in a parking lot as possible, unless it's at night and I park closer for security reasons. The Fat asses in their minivans aren't going to bother you if your park 40 acres away from the front door!!

• Like 1

Scratches and dings are small price to pay for the remarkably controlled chaos our our society (even Canada!).  I can't help but chuckle at the people with those ridiculous Bumper Bullys dangling from their cars.  Free yourself of material worship - waste of time.  Don't be mad, I like nice things too, I just like them banged up a little.

• Like 1

I used to drive "beaters" for that exact reason (my nice car stays in the garage). Anyway about 2 years ago I "f_ck it" and bought myself a decent set of wheels of everyday driving. Within 2 weeks someone at the train station backed in to it and leg an 18 scratch/dent covering 3 panels. No note either. So $600 dollars later and my car looks new again.... for about two weeks when someone else backed in to it in exactly the place that had just been repaired. A few weeks later someone decided to let their shopping cart run in to it head on, cracking the grill and chipping the plastic hood guard. A few weeks later I was running at the track and some kid decided to try and rip the hood guard off, breaking it right in half in the process.

Never had a problem when I drove beaters!!

Anyway, now at the train station I will not park unless I can find a spot with a car already on both sides. People just love to back in to facilitate a quick escape, but they just don't know how to drive. And if the hit your car they'll just f_uck off a leave you to pay the bill. Rat bastards!

I seem to have aweful luck with cars, this one in particular but judging by some of your tales you have all had similar bad luck. I agree that this wouldn't be a problem if I just drove a beater, or just didn't care about what the car looked like, a part of me wishes I could just pick up an old sunfire again but even then, damage like this would have bothered me.

I am definitely a back of the lot parker, don't double park or park on a 45 or anything, but I like to park where there is far less foot traffic walking between the cars and where someone is less likely to be squeezing in beside me. I broke my own rule last night, I grabbed a spot close to the door and inbetween two cars that were likely to be leaving before me and I paid for it. Back of the lot, day or night, rain or shine for me from now on.

Well, nearly as good as new

280ZX_zps81c0ffe1.jpg

The shop that did the original spray, contrary to request to paint it the original color, mixed a custom color that seems to be impossible for the paint company to match. So, now, the car has a slightly off-color door panel (where the car wash damage occurred).

By the way, the reason I only 'semi' restored the Z is because it has been my daily beater (& looked like it prior to the semi-restoration) for 3 decades & I did not want to end up with a show quality car that I would be affraid to drive or park. But, as my car wash experience illustrates, no matter how careful you are, sooner or later, they will get you.

• Like 1

So sorry to read your tale iCoop, & all you other guys too. I have one also, but mine happened in our company carpark, so the perpetrator was some one I worked with...............nice. Same deal, nobody saw anything, security cameras didn't pick it up. Stories like this are wrong on so many levels. Some folks just don't get it. You take a little pride in yourself, & your posessions, & people think that you are some kind of weirdo - just because you care. Hope your panel & paint guy does a good job on the repair. Good luck. 

Let me preface this little tale with the following qualifier, I take care of all of my things and this extends beyond just my watches! I love wearing luxury watches, I like having nice clothes and a nice laptop, nice cell phone, nice shoes and nice cars. I'm not one for weathered, worn out, beaten up and used, I like everything to look like it just came off the shelf, like I just pulled it out of the box or drove it off the lot. I wash my car every week (in the summer, winter is a crap shoot of salt and sand on the roads) and I regularly clean my watches and cell phone to keep them free of finger prints and other smudges. Is it a little OCD, maybe, but I don't think so, I just take pride in my things and was proud that after two years of use, my old iPhone 4 was still in mint condition (seriously, I mean mint!).

So it should follow that when I park one of my nice cars (nothing special, but still nice) in a parking lot I park further away from the exit, in a low traffic area where someone is less likely to park right next to me. This is done in an attempt to avoid scratches and dings from careless folk whose doors are opened more carelessly than mine, or whose belt is dangling with keys, cell phone holster, and other things that I wouldn't be caught dead clipping to my belt :p I do this because my car looks best when it's shined up from a fresh wash and a wax, when the rims are break dust free and when THE DOOR DOESN'T HAVE A 5 FOOT LONG SCRAPE RUNNING DOWN THE PASSENGER SIDE BECAUSE, WHILE SOME ASS HAT OUT THERE CANNOT DRIVE, THEY ALSO LACK THE DECENCY TO LEAVE A NOTE TO COVER THE INHERENT COST OF REPAIRING THE FRONT AND REAR PASSENGER DOORS OF A LUXURY VEHICLE! Sorry for the typographic yelling, I'm just really upset by this and currently want nothing more than to track this person down and confront them, why the hell should they get away with causing that much damage to my car? I want their insurance to cover this, I want them to cover my deductable and most importantly I want them to be held responsible for their wreckless and careless operation of a motor vehicle!

I'm at work now but I'll update with some pictures when I get home tonight, you should really see this scratch, it's pretty epic for a parking lot oops. I guess now I'm just off to call my insurance company and see if they will fix this one for me.

I read this and nodded my head at every detail. I thought I was reading about myself! iCoop I'm sorry to hear about your ride, I would have went ballistic. I park all of my cars the same way even my daily driver. They should have been courteous enough to leave you their info, but they probably didn't even have any which also sucks! I hope everything works out for you.

Yes she will be. :good:  It's just a crying shame that whomever caused the carnage didn't have the common courtesey to do the right thing. What is wrong with people today?

I'll admit, I returned to my car in the parking lot one night after dinner to find a small ding in the driver's side door of my car.  There was also some blue paint left with the ding.  Low and behold, the car parked directly next to me had the same blue paint and their passenger door was lined up perfectly to the ding.  

I was livid.  It was a small ding, but I simply hate people who are so self consumed that they care nothing for the property of other people.  Without much thought, I cocked back and kicked the side of their door so hard it left a dent about a foot in diameter.  I took a deep breath, got in my car and drove away.  

The instant vengeance felt so wonderful, warm and fulfilling. 

• Like 3

You know, man, judging by the pics you posted, I'm gonna postulate that the damage was done by an elderly driver who not only thought they were being really careful pulling next to your car, but had no idea they actually hit it.

My father in law - who self declared himself no longer fit to drive - once called me loudly complaining that someone had hit his car in the parking lot of the grocery store.  I looked at it and it wasn't much more than a paint swap.  I buffed it out for him in about 10 minutes.  He calls me livid about a month later that it happened again, so I paid more attention this time.  It took me all of about 30 seconds to put together the scuff on the bumper, the color of the paint, and the scuff on his garage door jam to point out he hit the garage every time he pulled in. 

It looks like someone who doesn't have very good depth perception and situational awareness about the nose of their vehicle misjudged their swing into the space and because they were going so slowly didn't notice they had actually made contact with your vehicle.

Sucks, but hopefully your comprehensive deductible isn't very high. 

Being a car lover, it pained me to see the damage. But karma will get the perp, have no worries.

He/she will end up with a 10 feet scratch on both sides of his/her car at least.. 

Take care and get her repaired soon mate! 

Karma might take too long.

As much as I try to be a nice person,there are just soooo many asshats out there constantly doing stupid careless and dangerous [censored] that I side with the revenge door kicker. I've wanted to do that sooooo many times,but never did...and I wish I did.

How many times can you say 'o,no big deal at least no one got hurt'?

Well,I'm hurt 'cos you damaged my [censored] assface! Again and again!

Even when you park way the f out there someone has to do the same and right next to you!

Yeah,this crap is wearing on me might just be too tempted next time.

There's been a couple of occasions where I've got back to my car (when it was an older car), saw a new big dent / ding, matched it up to the car next to me and if there's no note & no one there to shout at & get money from, I've repeatedly slammed my door into their car. The middle of a door panel is very easy to dent, the edge is bloody hard to dent. On the flip side my door on another car is one of those with about 3 spring positions where it "rests", and once I had to balance it as there wasn't much room. It slipped off and hit the car next to me which the driver was still in. Instantly got out, apologised and luckily there was no damage done. Richard

It's remarkable just how many people can't seem to see the lines in a parking lot from the driver's seat and so need to key off their position relative to other vehicles or they simply can't park. Park away from other cars all you want, there will always be someone who is nervous about fitting into a single spot and will search out your car off by itself for parking reference.

I remember years ago I saw an absolutely flawlessly restored E-Type Jag in a mall parking lot. It was so far away from any other cars off by itself way away from the mall entrance you felt it just had to be safe to leave it there. When I came back out there was a minivan parked on either side of it, still a long way away from any other car.

The other night it was incredibly windy here. My wife had someone pull up beside her in a parking lot and fling open his door without holding it. Of course the wind took it. There is now a nice dent in the drivers door of our 6 month old Mercedes coupe. The average person is genuinely stupid.