When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My day needs a "do-over"

cjjoyce1

I'm not one who posts pity-party stuff, and I'm not looking for anything here but a place to write.  I'm not a blogger, and I don't want to put this up on Facebook, because. ..well because.

My afternoon certainly falls under the "no good deed goes unpunished" category and I spent it helping elderly men.

First off is my 87yr old father-in-law.  The man knows nothing about computers and despite being very educated and well read, has always in all the years I've known him put up a wall and blinders on when it comes to anything regarding them.  His computer has NOTHING on it except what normally comes with Windows (XP mind you) AVG, and Firefox...oh, and Taxcut that I put on there because I do his taxes.  He doesn't do anything with it except use the web, and play freecell.  Yet somehow, someway, every six months he does SOMETHING that messes his computer up in a major way and at least every 2nd or 3rd time it actually requires Windows to be reloaded.

Today, was one of those days and his computer needed resuscitation.

Today was more frustrating than usual because for some dang reason, I couldn't get a sound driver to load right.  Then after an hour of futsing with it, got it to work.  Total time at this point - 2.5 hours.  Then my father-in-law  tells me "this isn't right"  Why?  What's wrong?  We then have a 15 minute discussion on how he's telling me all he does is turn on his computer and it magically comes up with "Foxfire" [sic] already open.  He spends 15 minutes telling me he NEVER had to click on the Firefox icon before.   We also have a discussion where communication isn't really happening as he's trying to figure out how "'Foxfire' will still know who [he] is since we just had to put all that back on the computer"  He is, of course, referring to his Internet provider, but...

*sigh

I know he's been failing a bit lately, and since this problem occurred a few weeks ago and he hasn't used it for a while  I chalked it up to his memory being poor.  But this was both sad and frustrating at the same time.

So then I leave him to go visit an elderly friend from church.  He's a retired priest in the Episcopal Church and has been a really great guy to know.  His health has really tricked him this last year and he's ended up in care facility.  Mentally, all there.  Physically, the body has had enough.  He likes to hear about my travels, and we talk about philosophy and current events and from time to time, he likes to be read to. 

Today, while reading Cider House Rules, Ed died.

I don't know what else to write. . .

I need a drink.

Man, I'm sorry all that happened in one day.  It just twists your heart up.  I'm sorry.

Hey, Ed passed on, a happy man.  You were there and he was enjoying the time together.  That's a nice thing.  You were there for him to the end.

Thank you for doing that for him.

Man, your mate Ed is a lucky man... 

I have read to my son since very early on (since he was two..) and now he reads to me (he is nine ... he is only six in my sig picture..). 

I have just come home from a VERY hard day with lots of heavy thinking (I am a health economist), and there is nothing i like more than hearing his voice and slowly falling asleep with him next to me reading. 

He is in the bath right now, but I am looking forward to him puttin his Pj's on, getting the pillows set up, tucking him in. Me setting up next to him while he reads "Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets" . Makes me feel at home...and makes the ills of my day totally disapeer...

If you mate Ed feels the way I feel, then he was a  happy man when he died.... Thank you for doing this for him...

Cheerio

Winno...   

Edited by Winno

WoW man that's a heavy day cj,

Not sure what to right to make you feel any better but I don't think that's what you need tbh, Ed would have been a very happy man throughout his life and as I believe has gone to his better place, we all play a part in everyone's life that  we touch mate, this was yours so cherish it, he will mate I'm sure :) 

Hey mate,

I don't post here much but i just wanted to say you are not alone in these experiences. Life can really be a cold b1tch sometimes. My father is also aging before my eyes and it's sad and frustrating for both parties. It is all part of our time here, as is death, and it's beyond our control.

I am very sorry for your loss. The great thing is that we have hobbies and friends like this to take our mind off things, even just for a minute. All you can do now is be patient with your father and try to enjoy the rest of the time you can share together.

-Umpa

Edited by UmpaHimself