When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

James Bond "Goldfinger" replica

Seanpnichols

Nice looking watch djulink, but it's more like a 5510 with the big crown and 200m rating.

5508 had a 100m rating and the small 6mm crown.

Both had the 1530 movement and came out around 1958-9 and production ran into the early 60s.

My bad, I should have written "Tiger-Concept 5508" (as it was a response to sean's post, I thought it was obvious).

But thanks for the precisions about the difference between 5508 and 5510.

My bad, I should have written "Tiger-Concept 5508" (as it was a response to sean's post, I thought it was obvious).

Speaking of Tiger-Concept, I just got the 7928 and it has no lugholes! It's a nice watch but I sure wish it had the lugholes. The a21j is doing very well.

So I guess I could put a 28mm dial in there, but mine had cgs and a 6mm crown....

As we were talking about Bond movies, here a screenshot from "The Man with the Golden Gun".

Quite unorthodox (from a Connery Bond purist perspective), yet very nice watch...

attachicon.gifvlcsnap-2015-02-19-20h22m08s165.png

bezel teeth look odd. is it a q branch bezel that spins? i only remember the 5513 in live and let die having a saw bezel

Yeah, that was the only bezel that had saw teeth.

On Jake's Rolex Blog he says Roger Moore wore a 5512 and a 5513 in "The Man with the Golden Gun."  He wore a 5513 in "Live and Let Die."  In "The Spy Who Loved Me" he wore a GMT Master and he also wore this in other non-Bond movies from that era.  In real life he wore a sub and GMT Master.

Can you tell me if the Tiger-Concept 5508 mid case you have is the current V3 with the mineral glass crystal? If it is, is it a gen style mount using a pressed on retainer ring, or is the crystal/gasket a glue-in style? 

Can you tell me if the Tiger-Concept 5508 mid case you have is the current V3 with the mineral glass crystal? If it is, is it a gen style mount using a pressed on retainer ring, or is the crystal/gasket a glue-in style?

The Tiger Concept 5508 v3 uses a crystal and gasket style. The bezel is held on with the octagonal wire ring. It is not gen style with a crystal retaining ring. The mineral crystal is 30.5mm.

IMG_20150214_122015_zpszilvyong.jpg

Sent via my mobile

Thank you very much for your reply.

Thank you very much for making such an amazing bezel insert.

61557c1847b2fd214ffe75a875ccfa30.jpg

0ca48359733642efb78b0d6b6362e580.jpg

e2ee36dde6cf89908209a0fcc013bb09.jpg

This is built on a Silix case. Here you can see where the top of the midcase surrounding the crystal was filed down to accommodate the flat bottomed insert. The t116 was a perfect fit.

94938f14e9f9d39e07152621bda2e4ce.jpg

Sent via my mobile

Edited by jelliottz

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to go a different route than what I mentioned way back in this post. I just ordered a watch from Silix and a dark brown lizard/croc strap as seen in "Dr. No," and "From Russia With Love." The strap will come on the watch instead of the metal bracelet.

A member here contacted me regarding an accurate 6538 dial that has already been aged.  And he works downtown Washington, DC like I do. :)

All I really need to do now is to age the case, which will be easy, and replace the crystal that is way too high.  An suggestions regarding the crystal?

post-51997-0-24945400-1363279643_thumb.j
post-51997-0-33042500-1363243423_thumb.j

I had PbDad mod a silex 6538 and I believe he just shaved down the crystal that came with the watch. The BIG issue with all of the rep case sets are the case lugs. The gen lugs are straighter than all the rep cases I have seen. The reps all have the typical curved lugs of a modern sub. You would not think the difference would be anything to notice but indeed it's very noticeable and just ruins the LOOK. I have asked several of the cartel dealers to ask the factories to make a one to one case set but they all say they need the gen to do it right and of course they won't spend 30,000 for a gen.

Shaving down the crystal is probably all I really need help with right now.  I'll age the case and bezel myself and maybe bevel the edges later, as well as get rid of those awful white threads in the strap.

Can you tell me how to get in touch with PbDad?  And where is he located?

post-51997-0-23729800-1425676280_thumb.j

post-51997-0-05337500-1425676281_thumb.j

post-51997-0-00382400-1425676282_thumb.j

I don't really know if the Silix and Tiger-concept case are alike - eventhough I remember having read somewhere they could be - but I've recently replaced the OOB one with a dome crystal suggested by DVNE that looks shorter than the one we can see in the first pics (and not that expensive...) :

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/172944-building-the-closer-i-can-get-007-big-crown/?p=1388552

Nice movies shots, by the way..

Edited by djulink

Hi Mendota,

Interesting, could you be more specific about differences between the two ?

I don't know from personal experience, but I remember reading some threads on Homage Forum in which this has been discussed. I'd go over there and read some of the threads in the Oyster section. Many people have been using both the Silix and Tiger cases for doing big crown builds, so there are a lot of threads to look at.