When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Recommend a Watch Case?

lhooq

I'm looking for a good, solid, reasonably-priced case for storing many watches at home. 

A few months ago, I tried the as-cheap-as-possible approach and spent $30 on a case for 12 watches from that online auction site.  I can't remember who the seller was, but it looked a lot like one of these (370613849090).  When I received it, I found that it was shoddily covered in flimsy black vinyl, each slot was barely wide enough to accommodate a Datejust, the cushions were hard as stale biscuits, the "glass" pane turned out to be a clear piece of soft plastic, and the lid kept shutting on my hand!  In other words, junk.

On the other hand, I've seen some very louche watch cases at the mall, usually in luggage stores.  These are the way-too-ornate units made of hardwood, and sell for something like $400 for a 20-watch capacity.  No thanks!  I'm also not interested in winders.  Most of my watches are manuals, anyway.

Would much appreciate any recommendations.  As the sign in Taxi Driver said, "One of these days, I'm gonna get organiz-ized!"

I'm currently on my third watch case. I have a watch box I was given a couple years ago, but I prefer a travel case because it is easier to carry my collection, even around the house.

First was this Tech Swiss that holds 16 watches.  I like the individual compartments and they were large enough for my 187G.  I had 2 problems with this case.  First problem was my collection outgrew the space.  Second, and more importantly, there is too much room between the watches and the top of the case.  This allowed the watches to roll in their compartments when I picked up the case.  I thought about adding some thick foam padding to the top to protect the watches better, but I bought a new case instead.

Next I bought this Tech Swiss that holds 24 - 30 watches.  No individual compartments, but it has elastic and a pocket in the lid that held my extra straps.  This one held all my watches, but the cushions were too large in diameter for my watches on bracelets.  I believe they are about 8" in diameter.  The elastic straps in the lid really don't hold watches well.

I think I have finally found the right case.  I bought this Caddy Bay Collection case that holds 26 watches.  The individual compartments are large enough to hold my 44mm PAM and IWC Diver, and the cushions are the perfect size for my watches on bracelets.  The individual slots in the top are big enough to hold at least 44mm (I just checked it with my PAM).  No pockets for my extra straps, but I have another strap case for those.  Also, even though this one carries 26 watches, it is more compact than the other two I mentioned above.

Just my 2 cents, I hope it helps.  Good luck in your search for a watch case. 

• 2 weeks later...