When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Still no aftermarket 702 crown tube options?

bones

Hmm, got this response to my questions from Phong

5512 old watch under 2-3 mil can be use 24-700-0 better.
with 3 dot crown that good for that no need for 7020 
the after market 7020 professional able to tell but if you use 24-7000 is good like factory

From my research, it looks like 5512's started in the 3 mil range, 1958 or so. Can't see any evidence for earlier ones. Would they have come with the 700?

Also, I think someone on here said the thread for the 700 tube is different to the later versions, so I'm thinking to stick with the 702 since i have all the correct taps for that. 

The 5512/3 came out around 1959 with the 1530 movement or the 1560 for the 5512. Those watches used the 700 crown and tube. The crown didn't have the three dots below the crown emblem. The 702 came out in the late 60s and was the first 'triplock' with two gaskets in the tube and one in the crown. The 703 didn't come out until around 1980 or so. It has 4 gaskets, one in the crown, two in the tube and one outside the tube at the base.

After a bit of back and forth with Phong I've come round to the 700 idea. He's sure the tap size is the same for all the crown tubes which is a worry less. 

Thanks for everyones advice, I'll post up some pics of the final build.

Majority of 5512s and 5513s have a 703 crown these days.. Mostly cause anyone who sent their rolex in to RSC for service had a new crown installed as it was a recommended service.

But 702s is where it's at and what I would install. If going gen it's best to find it with the original tube though. Threads can be an issue and you wouldn't want to ruin it.

Here's another version of the 702 crown from my old 5513. "hollow holes"

1e7f2228.jpg

'Hollow holes' result from over-polishing.

Totally plausible. I just don't think there's enough info out there to make that a conclusive statement. Only reason I'm suspicious is because my 5513 case was barely polished itself which makes no sense why the owner would polish the crap out of just the crown. Of course it's totally possible a previous owner replaced the crown with this one. That's vintage for you and you just never know. Especially cause Rolex never confirms nor denies anything about their vintage models. And the fact that all the info on vintage rolex is practically a bunch of anonymous Internet posters that collaborated their knowledge and information on some site... Excluding a very small handful of published and known Rolex enthusiasts.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/thread/1298566375/Submariner+168000+Crown+question

https://www.rolexforums.com/archive/index.php/t-165045.html

True. And if i were to put my money on it I would say it's due to polishing or weathering to some extent.

If anyone wants to try over polishing their 702 crown to see if they can replicate the hollow holes... I'll try it if I come around to owning one again. I think it's a cool characteristic.