When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What happened to manners?

fraggle42

I believe its called "trying your luck" if you happen to like a nice watch that seller listed as "CONUS only".

Many a times, I saw a watch listed as "CONUS only" sold internationally. Sometimes you just need to ask, its quite human. ;)

Ok, you can ask, but you can't expect a 100% response...personally, I tend to ignore pm like this (and lowball offer pm too :D)

And I assure that I'm not rude at all and I have good manners, if you read my feed on rwi the buyers are all happy about me...but if I wrote Eu only and no lowball offers, it means EU only and no lowball offers

Edited by ressmeplz

It takes about 5-10sec to send a short thank you reply, and this reply would make someone's life more pleasant in a very little way. Why not?

Sometimes I check my messages at work, and before I get a chance to reply I get interrupted and then I forget. Sometimes the PM is asking a very specific question and I have to dig a bit before I can find the answer, and it takes a while and I forget. Sometimes the message is just insufferably stupid and I don't want to reply. Sometimes I get a couple of dozen PMs in a day and I don't have time to respond to every one.

What difference does it make? What right do you have to demand ten seconds of my time if I don't have the time to give? Believe it or not, there are many more important things in my life than this forum. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Ok, you can ask, but you can't expect a 100% response...personally, I tend to ignore pm like this (and lowball offer pm too :D)

And I assure that I'm not rude at all and I have good manners, if you read my feed on rwi the buyers are all happy about me...but if I wrote Eu only and no lowball offers, it means EU only and no lowball offers

Technically, you are right. If your listing states "CONUS (or EU) only" and someone asks "But can you ship to Pretoria, south Africa?", you can choose to

a. politely ignore

b. politely reply no

c. tell them to take pretoria and stuff it up theirs :D

But what I am saying is, sometimes, just sometimes, we all change our minds. Happens to the best of us. If that happens, then the seller still gets his watch sold, and somewhere in south africa, we have a prospective buyer thanking his lucky stars for a watch he has eyeing. Black and white is good, but occasionally, grey is not a bad thing too mate. :)

Sometimes I check my messages at work, and before I get a chance to reply I get interrupted and then I forget. Sometimes the PM is asking a very specific question and I have to dig a bit before I can find the answer, and it takes a while and I forget. Sometimes the message is just insufferably stupid and I don't want to reply. Sometimes I get a couple of dozen PMs in a day and I don't have time to respond to every one.

What difference does it make? What right do you have to demand ten seconds of my time if I don't have the time to give? Believe it or not, there are many more important things in my life than this forum. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

When I said 5-10sec, I am referring to my time, and I was not specifically referring to you. Since when did I demand anything? Can you read?

Technically, you are right. If your listing states "CONUS (or EU) only" and someone asks "But can you ship to Pretoria, south Africa?", you can choose to

a. politely ignore

b. politely reply no

c. tell them to take pretoria and stuff it up theirs :D

But what I am saying is, sometimes, just sometimes, we all change our minds. Happens to the best of us. If that happens, then the seller still gets his watch sold, and somewhere in south africa, we have a prospective buyer thanking his lucky stars for a watch he has eyeing. Black and white is good, but occasionally, grey is not a bad thing too mate. :)

OK, I give you a fantasy example.

I sell my ROOS in EU only.
A forum member ask to sell it in CONUS
I say ok, wating payment and then send the watch
Customs control the package and block the watch.
The buyer, 99,99%, try to be (partially or totally) refounded.

Or

I ignore the pm, I sell the watch in EU (no customs problems) and we are all happy

To be clear, I'm not saying that you can't ask something, I simply saying that you haven't to expect a response if you ask something that isn't contemplated in the sale thread ;)

imho

OK, I give you a fantasy example.

I say ok, wating payment and then send the watch
Customs control the package and block the watch.
The buyer, 99,99%, try to be (partially or totally) refounded.

Or

I ignore the pm, I sell the watch in EU (no customs problems) and we are all happy

To be clear, I'm not saying that you can't ask something, I simply saying that you haven't to expect a response if you ask something that isn't contemplated in the sale thread ;)

imho

That, is a fair and clear statement. I have nothing more to add to that except "willing buyer, willing seller" should apply to every deal. :)

My take is this...........if I was in the same situation in real life would I ignore someone point blank if they asked me a question?  No I wouldn't.......even if it was a bloody stupid one :partytime:   I've also asked and bought at least half dozen pieces that were listed Conus only on here and the other forums, it's worth a nudge if you really like the piece...........but don't get too upset if no reply guys ;)     

When I said 5-10sec, I am referring to my time, and I was not specifically referring to you. Since when did I demand anything? Can you read?

I cannot even begin to process the levels of stupid in your post.

1) No [censored], you were referring to you and not me with the 5-10 seconds thing. But it seems eminently reasonable to think that if it takes YOU 5-10 seconds to respond to a PM, it probably doesn't take me a very different amount of time.

2) You said "why not?" implying that since it only takes 5-10 seconds, it wasn't a big deal. There is an implication there that someone should be willing to give up their 5-10 seconds. While I don't think it's unreasonable, at the same time you have absolutely no right to expect that of someone else.

3) It's a bit hypocritical to be spouting off about how being polite to people makes their day a bit nicer, and then be rude to someone who's challenging your opinion.

I contribute to this forum by sharing my knowledge, experience, experiments and enthusiasm. You whine about how people who don't pay attention to you hurt your feelings. I try very hard to respond to PMs, especially from people who are asking for help with a project, but the fact is that every time I post a build thread I get inundated with PMs asking if I would be willing to sell the watch. Sometimes I don't have 10 seconds x 30 people to reply "No, if it were for sale I would have posted a for sale thread" and sometimes I just don't want to. You have absolutely no right to a response when you send a PM, so quit whining about "lack of manners" when someone ignores you.

I have had many watches shipped conus from EU and OZ no problem the other way causes problems EU that is. I answer all PMS and I get plenty, how hard is it to type "no sorry EU only".

sneed you gotta be kidding people cold calling to buy your watches not for sale ,now that is bad form :bangin:  Maybe in the thread "hey nice if you ever want to sell PM me" but that is it. In that case do not answer but if up for sale so you may get a guy or two out of your shipping area trying to make a buy, no biggie just say "no sorry". :partytime:

I cannot even begin to process the levels of stupid in your post.

1) No shit, you were referring to you and not me with the 5-10 seconds thing. But it seems eminently reasonable to think that if it takes YOU 5-10 seconds to respond to a PM, it probably doesn't take me a very different amount of time.

2) You said "why not?" implying that since it only takes 5-10 seconds, it wasn't a big deal. There is an implication there that someone should be willing to give up their 5-10 seconds. While I don't think it's unreasonable, at the same time you have absolutely no right to expect that of someone else.

3) It's a bit hypocritical to be spouting off about how being polite to people makes their day a bit nicer, and then be rude to someone who's challenging your opinion.

I contribute to this forum by sharing my knowledge, experience, experiments and enthusiasm. You whine about how people who don't pay attention to you hurt your feelings. I try very hard to respond to PMs, especially from people who are asking for help with a project, but the fact is that every time I post a build thread I get inundated with PMs asking if I would be willing to sell the watch. Sometimes I don't have 10 seconds x 30 people to reply "No, if it were for sale I would have posted a for sale thread" and sometimes I just don't want to. You have absolutely no right to a response when you send a PM, so quit whining about "lack of manners" when someone ignores you.

yes sneed, as long as you understand whatever I posted does not refer to you, thats fine. 

And no, I was not whining, I did not even start this thread. In the same way, you were hypocritical about whining about not having 5-10 sec but taking far more time to reply my quote. I don't see what your challenge is about. There was no demand on my end, nor did I whine. Why pick on my post? So I responded to your post in a fair manner. 

I am polite, but I am not weak. When someone posts something to me in the way you did, I will respond the way I want. So if you have a bone to pick with me, bring it. 

I have absolutely no problem with you, and

I would say again: It takes only a few seconds to reply someone, and I do agree with you that if you do not wish to, its your right. 

But don't come treading on me for nothing, for stating something I WOULD do, and then start picking on every word in my post. This is not a courtroom, and honestly, I do enjoy some of the posts you made in various sections of the forum. But just because you do contribute, it does not give you the right to behave in the way you did.

I have done nothing more than state my opinion, and it was not even an offensive one. Why should I be intimidated by your needless name calling? 

We agreed to fight a duel to the death by PM, but in the end he decided to let me live so I guess we're all friends again

I had my blade sharpened, but unfortunately, sneed12, being the better guy, refused to engage me further. :D

He also warned me that my PMs may or may not be replied, as he may not have 7 seconds to spare me.

Oh well. Next time, we can duel to the death, but for now, I am backing up. 

We agreed to fight a duel to the death by PM, but in the end he decided to let me live so I guess we're all friends again

I had my blade sharpened, but unfortunately, sneed12, being the better guy, refused to engage me further. :D

He also warned me that my PMs may or may not be replied, as he may not have 7 seconds to spare me.

Oh well. Next time, we can duel to the death, but for now, I am backing up. 

Good on ya both   :good: Have a great weekend guys !  

I rather sell to a known trusted reputable no hassle member in Europe than a random lurker in CONUS.

I used to be paranoid bout shipping outside the states but I've long grown out of that. Never had an issue and you make some great connections!

I say, people should always keep the option open. You can ALWAYS decline an offer. It doesn't have to be first come first serve.

For me, it's not a case of "expecting" a reply, that would make me just as rude as someone else possibly being rude!

The very fact that some don't (reply) makes the times when someone does better :)

It's like saying "please" and "thank you", letting another car out of a junction when you're not in a hurry. I don't expect anyone to do it, but it makes my life a tiny, tiny bit better every time something like this happens. And I know that some people are in a hurry, or getting bombarded with PMs / emails, or just having a bad day, or hundreds of other reasons.

And conversely when you've had a bad day and no one is being kind, it just makes your day a tiny, tiny bit worse. And if they all mount up, it can (and obviously does) annoy me to a point where I blow off a bit of steam on RWG :)

A while ago I read a study where they found out that how you feel at the end of the day is mostly determined by all these little tiny, tiny things. Not the big success, or the big flops, but the things we wouldn't even consider would make a difference.

I guess I'm turning into my parents saying "Don't forget to say Please!!" :)

Peace and love,

Richard

Hi Richard.  If I ever sell a watch, and you want it, I will happily send it to the UK.  And if I don't want to because I'm sick of all the brits, kiwis, aussies and their ilk here in NYC using the word 'mate' too much, then I'll send you a nice PM indicating that I've been mated to death and just can't bear to ship anything to mate's birthplace. But that's unlikely, so I'll probably ship it to you, if you're willing to sing the star spangled banner while wearing a Beyonce mask.  That's reasonable, right?

Seriously, replying to a PM is easy and nice.  And obviously not for everyone.

• Like 2

There is no UK in CONUS is there?

You know, some people don't have the time to answer every PM or to post threads where they [censored] and moan about people who don't answer their PM's...[/quote

UK ? Could be Uncle Kevin from Detroit.

The topic here on manners is quite topical. Americans and the French

Used to have the market cornered on rudeness . But now, the Chinese,

And a host of other nationalities are unbearably crass and terribly

unpleasant. We live in the age of the rude I'm sorry to say. Perhaps an international

rudeness police force that will taze those deemed mannerless

would work.

• Like 1

WowWow...

Saw this guy wif a WTS thread pricing his bone stock rep for like $50 more than dealers. Didn't wanna crap thread and dropped him a PM to gently mention that just for his info the dealers have it cheaper even after his price drop.. Here's his response.

"Please get from there."

Perhaps he thot i was a lowballer so i replied i already had the watch didn't want to crap his sales thread and was trying to help his sale along... I ended telling him to get a life cos not everyone's a lowballer.

His Reply:

I do, I think you dun that's why you nose into people's threads. Busybody.

Get a grip.

Wowwow

Yep, its the GIDT at work. This is why I only sell (or give) watches to people I've known awhile. There are givers and there are takers. I like to "give" to the givers.

GIDT.jpg

• Like 2

Nanuq, I must concur with the Internet dickwad theory. Most assuredly,

The anonymity it affords propels individuals to become not just dickwads,,

But as the guy from American Psycho stated, "A Tumbling Tumbling Dickwad".

post-3251-0-49867800-1366178073_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Just to keep it alive! :

got contacted by a possible buyer, asked me to reserve and check a watch i have for sale, tells me he wants to purchase it. I tell him "sure", no problem, i reserve it for him until next morning and see if everything works well. It does, i send him a pm, he never replies. 

Mate, if you change your mind, thats fine by me, but at least, you could send me a pm saying: "sorry, i changed my mind, but good luck with the sales! "