When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

franken rolex 1603 datejust from 1975

aurelienconiglio

Hi everyone,

Here is my first franken datejust project.

So first of all i got a complet gen 1603 case with bezel and plexi.

i polished the all of it

then i got a gen panpie dial, silver color on the bay.

as a movement i took the seagull st 2130 (copy of the eta 2824-2)

with a DWO on it and tudor hands.

for the bracelet i got an oyster aftermarker with replica explorer clasp.

(it does look really nice, but once a got the money and the right one, i'm gonna buy a gen one)

i did not get a jubilee, i just not like it.

here are the first pictures

post-46640-0-64042700-1366717530_thumb.j

post-46640-0-79541700-1366717560_thumb.j

Hi,

sorry but this bracelet is not right for a Datejust. What you have is a 93150, but a bad replica. That one was never used for a Datejust, if you want a Oyster bracelet pick up a 78360 bracelet with the normal clasp. This is not an Explorer clasp, it's a 93150 clasp that was used for: 1680 (+ transitionals), 5513, 1665, early 16610, and was possible to order with the 1675 (+t), in general only in combination with a diver watch since it has a diver extention.

That's a submariner clasp on that oyster bracelet.

I'm not sure how the 2824 is going to fit with the pie pan dial- I'm thinking that it's going to be too high in the case and the stem won't align through the case correctly.

A flat DJ dial from a 16000 might work, or maybe a 2836-2 would work since it's a thicker movement.

I built this Explorer with a 1601 case and the flat Explorer dial w/ a 2824 and it worked beautifully. I did have a Stilty spacer ring to keep the movement in place properly, but a raffletime #2 ring might work- might need a little filing.

photo-4.jpg

hi,

thanks for your post.

first, i know it is not the right bracelet, thanks, but i didn't find a nice jubilee original or replica, if you have tips i'm interested.

i am looking for a jubilee in good condition, until then, i will use this bracelet.

about the movement, yes it is the one that will fit, the 2836 will not

• 4 weeks later...

hi everyone !

here is an update:

si got the spacer ring (from raffle time.) but my watch maker doesn't get how to fix the all of it.

so i have a gen 1603 case with gen panpie dial.

a spacer ring

and an eta 2824-2 brand new movement.

does anyone has a picture or a link of a fixed movement like this? (i'd like to show him to help him to get the job done)

thanks a lot guys

hi!

thanks a lot for reply.

well, the watchmaker doesn't get how to fix to movement in the case with the spacer.

does it have to get modification (the spacer) or glued somehow? anything else?

lot of people on this forum build frank in the same way but just put pictures of the watch and not the movement, which would help me.

hi,

well i don't know if i've got the shittiest watchmaker in the whole world or what but he can't fix the movement in my datejust.

he has i he needs: 1603 case, panpie dial, 2824-2movement with DWO and spacer ring, nice tudor hand set, all you can see in this tread in fact: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/158976-diy-how-to-make-a-frankenjust/

as i can't do it myself (don't have the tools)  i think i don't have other chose to get a 1570 that fits.

if anyone has advices on where to get a good one and not overpriced i'm in.

thanks for reading

You are going up quite a bit in price when you start adding a 1570. The cheapest I've seen them is around 900-1000 USD, and they all need a service. What you probably need to do is find another watchmaker!! There are some guys out there who have great skills repairing, overhauling movements, changing crystals, dials, hands, etc. But this is all with genuine watches and genuine parts, which all FIT. When you get into rep modding and franken building, what you have to remember is what you see isn't always what you get. Parts look like they will fit, but they are a little too big, or a little too small and they just don't work. 

Some projects are almost impossible to achieve, because the parts just don't match up. If you don't already have the experience, or your watchmaker lacks experience with reps, you are going to make a lot of mistakes by" trial and error" parts sourcing. If someone tells you a particular movement or dial or bezel won't work with a certain case, or model, he probably knows, because he's already tried it and it didn't work!!

Possibly the thing for you to do is try to find someone who has experience putting together a nice DJ, let them do the modding work. most of the guys here on the forum that are really good at a particular model or brand, like Rolexaddict with vintage Rolex GMT builds, sneed12 who does great GMTIIC's, jmb with his Explorers, and lots of others have already tried most of the combinations and they know already what will work, and what probably won't. It's very rewarding to look down at your wrist and see a beautifully modded watch, that looks 99% of the gen, keeps as good a time as the gen, but cost 20% or less than the gen. On the other hand it's very frustrating when a project either just won't come together, or suddenly you realize that you are way, way over budget, and that 500.00 USD watch is now over 1000.00 USD and you still aren't finished. Hooking up with a good watchmaker/modder will save you a lot of frustration and probably be less expensive, because you won't end up with a boatload of parts that were tried and didn't work.

P.S. Ditch that 93150 bracelet. It's way to big and bulky for a DJ. It's great on a 1680, 5513, etc. but not a DJ. Find a nice rep jubilee (mymanmatt) and put that on your watch when you get it finished. 

And if you insist on a 1570, there is one for sale right now on the parts sales forum 1570 and an autowind mechanism from a 1560. Looks pretty nice. It would add a pretty good bit to your build but it's real, not Memorex!!

• Like 1

Personally I don't see any reason to buy a 1570, then a complete gen 1603 would have been cheaper...

Fitting the ETA movement in a gen case shouldn't be that difficult even I could do it for you, for me it sounds like you're having a shitty watchmaker indeed, or maybe he isn't rep friendly.

hi guys,

today i had a call from my watchmaker, good news, he finaly get to fit the movement (told me it wasn't easy, coz it would have worked better with the 2836-2).

only probleme he has is with the smooth hand. it doesn't fit.

where should i buy an 2824-2 smooth hand? i guess i have to buy the hand set.

since the movement is a seagull st2130 (2824-2 eta) and since tudor uses this movment, would the gen tudor hand set fit?

thanks for answers

pictures comming soon, i've seen the watch today, it does look really good, even without the smooth hand.

• 2 weeks later...