When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is Rolex the Roll Royce of the watch industry ?

alterego

I think you a have  perfect match there.  The Grand Seiko is clearly way more than  the average watch of that brand selling at department stores, as the Lexus is a luxury car that is not available for purchase at the average Toyota deaaler.  I wonder if nore people own Lexus cars than Grand Seiko watches, or is it  the opposite ?

That Grand Seiko is a copy of the Omega Geneve Date 1972, just like our hobby, FAKE. Why pay $5000 for a Grand Seiko when you can have the genuine Omega for $500.

Edited by baglc1

Quite funny, as I've just recently thought about the car manufacturer - watch brand analogy in order to explain watches to someone not too much into watches. Here's what I came up with.

Rolex - Mercedes (I guess that's something we all can easily agree on)

Omega - BMW

Breitling - Opel

Zenith, IWC - Audi

JLC - Porsche

AP - Ferrari (too many classy watches for Lamborghini imo) 

VC - Bentley (think Continental GT) 

Patek - Rolls Royce

Lange - Maybach

I think that's pretty accurate, Breitling maybe a little bit too harsh...

Think your equivalence chart is pretty good. My only discrepancy would be the Opel/Breitling match. I'm not crazy about the brand (Breitleing) but  Opels in this country are pretty much synnonym of Chevy, which is a good car but more like a Tissot or Citizen ?

That Grand Seiko is a copy of the Omega Geneve Date 1972, just like our hobby, FAKE. Why pay $5000 for a Grand Seiko when you can have the genuine Omega for $500.

I guess that if they can afford it, people would go for the Grand Seiko because there many Omega Geneva designs and hundreds of thousands of pieces around the world, whereas the GS is produced in smaller quantities and has very few variants.