When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is Rolex the Roll Royce of the watch industry ?

alterego

I know Rolls Royce will never build a million cars per year, bercause there are not enough customers to buy such a production. I own a Rolex and probably I'll never be able to afford a Rolls. But the point is: are both products comparable when it comes to quality and durability and status ?

I do not think Rolex ever had a history of uber luxury.  They were initially famous for their reliability.  

For a long times all watches were expensive, and most good ones were swiss.  Rolex made a few innovations like waterproofing which cemented their rep as the most reliable watch.  Their watches are more sports style than elegant.  They would maybe be the BMW of watches rather than Rolls Royce. 

Patek Philippe might be the RR of the watch industry.

• Like 1

Rolex is like a BMW 5 series sedan if an analogy has to be drawn in such a way. 

No way can it be an RR. I agree that Patek is a better comparison to being the RR of the watch industry.

The APs, Hublots are sportier, and could be compared to the top range of Mercedes, BMW, or perhaps a Porsche Carrera. :drinks: 

Yes, Patek is more akin to Rolls. Rolex is the watch analogue to Mercedes-Benz. Both (Rolex & Mercedes) began around the same time, have been credited with bringing more innovations to market than any of their competitors (even if they did not themselves invent all of said innovations), produce a wide range of luxury products within their respective ranges & generally maintain a high level of quality. I think it is worth noting that each produced 1 of their most iconic products the same year - the Sub & 300SL appeared in 1954. The main difference between them is that Mercedes lionizes collectors & provides ongoing parts/support for their vintage products

HighMileage_zpsd00fe8fc.jpg

Meanwhile, Rolex appears to do everything they can to undermine them (refusing to provide parts/service for vintage watches, limiting parts availability, requiring owners to replace vintage parts be replaced with modern parts, etc).

I always saw Rolex in the same light as Mercedes, Bose and Mont Blanc. You think it's the best, until you can afford it...and then realize that there are 100 brands that are better and more expensive.

For that reason, I used to never wear a Rolex into a meeting with a new client. I could have a 10K Panerai on my wrist and they won't say a thing. I wear a $4K Submariner into a meeting, and I get a snide comment like "Jeez...looks like we're paying you too much!"

How Interesting that most replies tend to identify/compare Rolex with Mercedes. Both of them are top quality and as far as I know pretty much along the same lines in customer satisfaction.  Maybe that's true if we look at the price and status symbol quality of both products.

I've seen Mercedes cars racing at various types of competitions (a demanding mechanical test for any car looking for recognition in the world)  and they generally come out with very good performance. I've seen Rolex watches taking all kinds of punishment in the wrists of as many types of men and women in just about any profession or trade you can think of, and they generally come out in one piece, after 50 , 60 or more  years of  flawless performance.

I've Never seen a Rolls in a race nor a Patek on the wrist of a tennis player, diver, pilot, firefighter, soldier or coach.  Maybe these are extreme luxury items that can afford skipping the demands of the real world, shielded by their social economic prestige.

I think Patek & Rolls are meant to be more like ultra-refined works of art than hearty, well-engineered tools. But Bose?????????? Not even in the same stratosphere as the likes of Patek, Rolls, Rolex or Mercedes. As an ex-Bose 901 owner (& dealer), Bose has never been anything other than middling in quality. In the watch world, Bose probably equates more to Bulova or Seiko (which I believe now own Bulova) than Rolex. Not bad, but nowhere near state-of-the-art in any category, except, possibly, marketing (they market their products very aggressively).

that watch in my opinion is a Philppe Dufour.

Dufour is what people think Swiss watch makers are .. a man in a house high in the mountains making 4 watches a year to the utmost of quality and design. by hand while biting a table in his teeth (look that up)

No far from it. It is an expensive status watch, but it is more like the Cadilac

Of the watch biz.

My "Bose" analog was more about perception than reality. If I had a Bose Wavefront given to me, I wouldn't use it in the kids' bedroom for lulabys.<br /><br />My Wadia 860 was a $9,800 CD player, and you'd be surprised (or not) by the number of people that would see it, and then comment about some Best-Buy brand all-in-one that they thought was amazing.

I love Audi, but their vintage history just can't hold a candle to merc's.

Bose is good, don't get me wrong. They're just not great, and especially not at that price point. Back in the day, when i was using those sony all-in-one cinema systems, i thought Bose was the business. Then someone made me audition the B&Ws. It was like seeing in technicolour for the first time!

Vintage Rolex <----> Vintage Land Rover

Iconic

Simple

Durable in the worst conditions

Suffer abuse well *cough*

Measure performance by consistency

Avoid "features for features' sake"

Refuse to stop working

Oblivious to social strata

Bose makes decent audio stuff. I have their wave radio/cd/iPod

Player and Bose headphones. There is a lot said here about

it,however it has nothing to do with the thread heading/question

In the spirit of retuning to topic ,

Yugo=Rolex Cellini

The Rolex success history is tied with their iconic Submariner. The Sub's design is easily the most recognized watch design in the planet.  If you ask an everyman on the the street which watch would they pick between a Nautilus, Overseas, Royal Oak and a Submariner probably 99% would pick a Sub.

Edited by Kal Vilmer

Quite funny, as I've just recently thought about the car manufacturer - watch brand analogy in order to explain watches to someone not too much into watches. Here's what I came up with.

Rolex - Mercedes (I guess that's something we all can easily agree on)

Omega - BMW

Breitling - Opel

Zenith, IWC - Audi

JLC - Porsche

AP - Ferrari (too many classy watches for Lamborghini imo) 

VC - Bentley (think Continental GT) 

Patek - Rolls Royce

Lange - Maybach

I think that's pretty accurate, Breitling maybe a little bit too harsh...

• Like 2

I think you a have  perfect match there.  The Grand Seiko is clearly way more than  the average watch of that brand selling at department stores, as the Lexus is a luxury car that is not available for purchase at the average Toyota deaaler.  I wonder if nore people own Lexus cars than Grand Seiko watches, or is it  the opposite ?