When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OMEGA PLANET OCEAN - Genuine or Replica??

Thor

Page 1:

I let the pictures speak for themselves...

The most enticing part would be the "PLANET OCEAN" engraving on the clasp.

508-7932.jpg

508-7933.jpg

508-7934.jpg

508-7935.jpg

508-7936.jpg

508-7937.jpg

508-7938.jpg

I hope it is a replica :smile: and even better that it has a brother with black bezel :coolio:

Brother Black... might be coming along... =)

is the case back the sticker thing or is it engraved in the metal, also what size is it , looks very nice

edit : just read the specs on it over at trc, so it is 43 mm wowowowo im excited, u got a pm

43 mm including crown!!?.... hmmmzz.. what is the diameter from the 8 o clock marker to 2 o clock marker? That's the true diameter.

i think it would be like 42.5 without the crown and i think the genuine is 42.5 so it may be pretty exact wowowowo

It is the 42.5mm without crown. The case back is 100% engraved version and not the old style stick on plates.. =)

well i think u have the best po right now, i will take one and soon do up a review on it ok , yes im a watch nut and i want me a orange monster, i have already the green hornet lv lol

Is it a nickel plated 2824?.. would like to see some pics.

u will seee many pics of it soon enough lol andrew shhip it yesterday please lmao

I just love it :wub: .... but that orange.... I think I would rather go for the black instead.

i know what u mean rolexman, but live a little lol i have many black watches dont u ? the orange monster has a nice manly sound to it lol

Wow! Great watch, Andrew! :wub:

I've been admiring this PO since the introduction of the gen. I think the 4th gen will finally do it for me. :)

I would also like to see this guy in the black version. Who knows, I may eventually end up with one of each. :)

It amazes me how quickly the rep gods got the PO right. They've never done it with the Polex Sub and it's been how many years?

Awesome!

Cheers,

Jet

probably because omega will not spend the money to pursue them , but rolex will lol

Hey, Joe:

You're probably right on!

I can't wait to see your usual excellent review of this guy. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

We both must be watch addicts. It's what, 5:30 AM. :crazymofo:

Regards,

Jet

Page 2:

yeah last eight days i have been going to bed around 6 am and sleeping till 12 , i have so much work to get done and so little time and i always make time with my family for supper and stuff like that and then madison goes to bed around 9 or 10 and i work for about 8 hours on watches, i have got to change my routine though it is tiring this way , soon as i get caught up i will change my time frame with the help of some ambian lol , i am hoping he shipps it today and i will reveiw it in a few days, lets see, but what i can see , it has all the things i was not accepting before done to it, mainly the size , pearl color of bezel , helium valve even seems to be a littlle higher and the engraved caseback not a sticker was a must and the almost perfect font engraved in clasp that finally matches up nicely and not fresh looking or put on after the fact , wowowowo

I just noticed something.. the 4th gen misses the 'Professional' on the clasp. 2 bad.

the word professional is only written on the 45.5 mm , and the one like this one is a 42.5 mm and professional was not engraved on it , this is what i have read anyway , never put one in my hands and looked for this, so it seems it is still correct , or i read it wrong lol i really havent researched it much , just read it in general over at trc but not 100% sure and the source owns the bigger one i think

also i edited because i didnt want to sound rude , that was not my intention but after rereading it kind of did sound rude so i edited it

im trying to find that thread where that guy bout a genuine clasp as a upgrade to his watch , do u know where it is, he says it came from ofrei.com special order

i found it , it was overboosted and he got ttks and bout a genuine clasp with correct engraving from ofrei.com for just under a 100 bucks , so i do have a memory afterall lol heres the link

planet ocean genuine clasp

its almost perfect actually , just the rep needs to be shinier and i will polish out the engravement to make it look better, now im really excited , arent u ?

This one looks like a genuine article to me :Jumpy:

i need to call ofrei and cancel my order for the planet ocean clasp now :sad:

Here'a pic of the gen 42.5mm model clasp. Not great but shows that Andrew's is purty darn accurate.

yep i would definitely cancel that order to, lol this one is almost exact and after a few tweeking she will be perfect , wowowo

nice find jetson, so now grab the bull by the horns and lets race and see who gets his first lol

o.k....the BIG question now

when will this one be available?!?

Engraving is a nice addition but that dial would bother me.

Omega logo (the ellipse or whatever it's called) is right over the OMEGA text which looks dead wrong. :frusty: And how on earth they have managed to lose the "PROFESSIONAL" text from the clasp and add "PLANET OCEAN" accordingly? They do this on purpose, there's no other explanation.

This is again the usual blues: fix one thing, break two, etc...

Edit: I read rbj's reply. The PROFESSIONAL is only engraved on the large version. OK. But why screw up the dial which was already done well? Or perhaps it's somehow possible to move the Omega logo closer to 12'o'clock?

yeah i was just looking thru the pics of the genuine and the one that i got from joshua, and the omega symbol is definately out of place on this 4th generation version...

Hopefully its just a factory goof, and they gave it to andrew just for pr purposes...

Genuine:

planet ocean black

planet ocean orange

I think this 4th version is very accurate except for the back engraved...

the logo on the dial ruined it... if they can fix that... and a black bazel... i will take it in a heartbeat. hehe.

By-Tor-

From the Geniune pic off of Omega's website, isn't the Omega symbol directly above the Omega text? (http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=557#)

I have my PO from River which has the symbol, with some space, above the text - so it's not directly above the text. Could it be our models were incorrect?

I would love to see Andrew's 4th Gen Black Version....he said it's coming very soon....can't wait !!!!

Edited because I was talking balls.

This is one good looking watch!

Yes indeed it's right above the OMEGA text. But not quite as close. But who cares about some 0,5mm difference, really?

Nevertheless this is a great version. I'm sure the base watch is same as the 3rd edition. The clasp is what makes this better. The minute hand is too short, though. That was better in the 3rd edition.

Go for it guys. Personally, I can live with the incorrect clasp in my version. :)

Page 3:

Has anyone noticed that the 3 & 9 o'clock markers are not aligned properly?

Just comparing to the gen.

It is a great watch and I await the black dial version.

I'm not sure if it's the angle of the photos or perhaps there are variations of the gen dial.

This black version gen (42.5mm) photo shows the logo darn close to "Omega".

$1.7K used for perfection plus co-axial movement is the other alternative. :tongue:

Alright guys, the logo for 45MM version looks further apart from the text, see pic:

510-7929.jpg

the logo for 42MM version here:

510-7930.jpg

much closer to the text, so andrew's po is pretty accurate I would say.

I am on the waitinglist for a black version as well... NEXT WEEK!!! :happy:

As am I. I just paid in full for my spot on the list. It's gonna be a rough wait.

The bezel actually has vertical ridges instead of rounded scallops like on the 3rd gen.

for me the fourth gen. has more pros than cons, i think everything is actually the same as the third except the helium valve and the clasp is better, i think u guys r grasping at picture angles , which happens alot , i have been looking intensely lately at all versions and this one is a little more money but imho more correct, however ttks is just as good and a little cheaper in price

as to the dial thing if what u r saying is true then the logo on this dial is more correct lol but i really think it is the picture angles, and u r looking at the same dial as the 3rd gen. which is good enough like by thor said , so enjoy and be patient and i will take u some very good pics of it and by thor and i can examine really close and come up for the benefit of the board where u should by your orange monster, i wish we could do it over some drinks but i think he can out drink me lmao

@RBJ: I think you're right. But I'm willing to bet my 1985 quartz Rolex Datejust that the HE valve is in the same position too. I think it's spot on in the 3rd generation and I'm quite sure this is the exactly same base watch. For some reason people think in gen PO the HE valve is slightly above the 10'o'clock marker WHICH IS NOT THE CASE.

Pic of my 3rd generation:

510-7931.jpg

It should not be more than 0.00001 mm above the 10'o'clock unlike in other Seamaster Pros. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the HE valve in this version... and/or the 3rd generation version.

This seems to have thicker bezel font or it can be the pictures too. But the minute hand is definitely too short. The Omega text isn't 100% spot on in either versions, except if the 3rd generation tries to be a rep of the 45mm version.

You can buy either watch and get a good one. For some people the clasp has been "the problem". I'm glad to see we finally got it right. Just buy the damn thing and enjoy it. I'm wearing my Orange Beast as we speak. :headsetsmiley:

the genuine i saw in the store near me the helium valve is really very close to the 10 oclock but it seems it rises on the ridge of the case in a upward position so it looks like u said .0000001 higher but in reality probably isnt , so that really isnt a biggie, and andrew says the hands r the same as his 3rd generation and the dial as far as he could tell, so for me ttks and andrews r practically the same except the bezel insert and the clasp , the clasp being the best improvement, but not all that upsetting, i will take some pics of the bezel ridges when i get it from the pics it does seem more correct but again it could be the pictures for sure

many people used to talk about the cyclops alignment on the subs and many times it was the pictures in a angle , see u have to take pics in angles or u will get the camera lense mirroring back at u on the glass

bythor if u dont mind will u when i get mine from andrew take some of the same angled pics of your with mine? and we can put them side by side in the same angle and together do a thorough fun comparison of them , it could be fun and very informative for the dealers and the members

Good summary Bytor. Each watch has it's advantages. I've got TTK's version. Because we always want what we don't have, I noticed the following advantages to this one 1) the pearl, 2) the bezel, including the orange outline around the pearl triangle, 3) the date font (mine looks like your picture above...very thin, and off-white) 4) the engraved clasp, 5) the bezel scalloping and 6) the back is properly aligned.

Is that enough to justify the difference in price? That's a personal decision.

avitt u have a good eye i didnt notice the orange aroudn the triangle and the date font is bolder to, , i did notice the other stuff , very good observation

Could someone please email or PM me the price for Andrew's PO beast?

I asked Andrew but he forgot to mention it in his repply. He must be one busy dude today. :biggrin:

I like this watch!

Cheers,

Jet

he want 2068 usd , it comes with box and papers and certificate of authenticity and he says it is genuine lmao

im kidding with u , i pmed u

@ RBJ

Please also PM the price to me.

thanks in advance.

Actually if you compare the bezels of 42mm and 45mm you'll see that the big one (45mm) has the bezel exactly like the 3rd generation version (not scalloped). Also the Omega logo and OMEGA text are further apart.

So perhaps the 3rd generation attempts to be a rep of the 45mm watch while Andrew's is a rep of the 42mm version. This is pathetic nitpicking but that's what we are. Rep nerds... :laugh:

All things considered... Andrew's version is the best right now. Someone put it nicely: if the 3rd generation was 96% this is 98%.

But that minute hand IS too short... and the Omega logo looks weird. Period.

Ok ...its time to find a GENUINE OMEGA CO-AXIAL movement for cheap

GOGOGO!

:headsetsmiley:

time to make some phone calls...

Page 4:

The minute and the hour hands are still a bit short and the 6,9,12 marker should be the same orange color as the bezel,,,but nobody will notice it. You think this is the 4th generation, they will fix the flaws from models before this.

Look at the pearl ,,,look like genuine. The he valve seem to be higher too.

Oh boy, I can feel my wallet kinda moving by itself. :laugh:

ahh shut up about the minute hand would ya lmao i love u man, lets just wait and see , when i get mine we will do the pros and cons, u r right we r watch nerds for sure lmao

also i think the dial logo is more correct for this 42.5 mm model than ttks , his seems to have more of a gap in between the omega symbol and the writing , dont u think ?

Nice! :Jumpy: can you say this is 1:1 version? is this the most accurate?

THe biggest flaw that no-one has mentioned is the anti glare finish to the crystal on the real one.

The genuine PO has one of the strongest non reflective finishes I have ever seen on a watch and really makes the clarity of the dial jump out at you. This is a very obvious flaw on the rep but the rest of the watch looks good enough to me unless you are going to look at every watch under the close conditions that these pictures appear. It just isn't that obvious in real world conditions on your wrist that this would be a fake.

:happy:

IMO, aside from the AR issue, which is easily fixed, this watch has reached the very, very rare point in repdom at which nobody will be able to tell this is a rep except for people who own or sell the same watch, who will be able to tell in one second--not because of any single detail, but because the intangible "eye-feel" difference between a 3K watch and a $200 watch. And there ain't nothing we can do about that except shell out the cash for a gen.

"eye-feel" is a dumb word, I know, but you know what I'm talking about--it's the combination of a bunch of intangibles--fit and finish, subtle variations in colors, the way a dial shines or not, etc--that each would be unnoticeable on its own and which a non-owner would have no frame of reference to notive, but which make a trained eye's subconcious say, "something's not right here."

As soon as this one becomes more widely available I'm in with bells on...

now just make the ridges a little wider and you'll have yourself a nice seiko :happy:

very eager for Joe's review of this watch though I will still order one when the next shipment arrives.

Hi. I just wanted to know where can I get one of these beautiful watches. Is it possible that you can provide me with the dealer that sold it to you? Thanks and great watch man it is a beauty.

At the risk of calling out ByTor, if you mean that the He valve is aligned with the 10 and 4 o'clock marker, that is not true. On the gen, the He valve is approximately 1 mm offset clockwise from the 10 to 4 line. The AR coating is truly dramatic, too.

hello, again i think the he valve looks higher but really isnt that much like the seamasters, i believe it is a 3d effect actually cause it is positioned on the angle of the case going upwards so it looks that way , next time i go look at gens. i will really look at this again lol

also what color is the ar coating on this watch? i never noticed , thanks

Like I said it's only a 1/4 millimeter above the 10'o'clock marker. The reps have the placement correct or then the factory pics are wrong.

512-7924.jpg

As you can see it's higher on other Seamasters, especially on midsize versions:

512-7925.jpg

And this is the full size version of black SMP (a bit lower):

512-7926.jpg

Either way... if there's a difference it's definitely NOT noticeable on PO (not 3rd ed. or Andrew's).

Edit: Perhaps the factory pic IS actually showing it wrong. Here's a gen pic for reference (and it really looks it's a bit higher):

512-7927.jpg

I just wish they'd get this out NOW in black with the rubber strap.

This is going to be the hottest watch of the latter half of this year.....

Andrew if you are watching please PM me with price.

pt

The 4th Gen fixes a few other minor errors. For example, it's the first PO that has the correct orange markings under the black triangle that the bezel pearl is in. Very cool and VERY correct. Also, the pearl looks better. All I can say is............................I'M IN FOR ONE!!!!!! YAHOO!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get mine!

HATS OFF TO ANDREW FOR THE ABSOLUTE BEST OMEGA PLANET OCEAN REP YET!!!

Sure glad I read this prior to the transfer as it gets a little hard to follow who posted what.

Looking forward to your review Joe and what mods you feel are needed if any. I put my name on the list for an orange monster and now can only sit and wait. Looks like I'll have the pee pee dance going until it arrives. :yeah:

I'm in for one of these beauties. I can't wait to get it. This one has enough fixes on it to make me stop waiting and pull the trigger.

Me too. Mine's coming from Andrew's next batch. Hopefully i won't have to wait too long. I did originally want the black one, but i've decided it's too sub-like, and gone for the orange.

too sub-like!! o my god! what would it take to make it not look like a sub? aside from it being black and steel, and having three hands, i can't see something more different... without being stupid.

(i'm not a fan of the p.o., by the way, but i can't really see the comparison. my favorite is the 2254.50, and even that one, i really don't get people saying it's like a sub. it's not!!)

Man, the one joe got is damn close--we're into super-anal-retentive territory finding flaws on this version: On the dial side, the only issues I can see are:

The He valve is less than 1mm higher on the Genuine

The Genuine hour hand has less lume area and more metal area and the minute hand is a hair longer

The 12:00 omega logo is a little low on the rep

Very visible AR coating on the Genuine

A general "crispness" difference--dial text, bezel cuts, crown, etc--but you ain't never going to see 1:1 on fit and finish between rep and gen. Ever.

That sure aint 2 grand's worth of diff. I'll wait for the price competition to kick in and then pull the trigger on this baby without a second thought.

Edited by archibald

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Tourneau, where I tried on a PO. I looked specifically at the He valve and logo positions and, for what it's worth, both are still slightly off on the rep. I think the pics of Omega's HE valves can be decieving, sometimes looking higher than they are sometimes lower. I can tell you that the He valve position on the 42mm PO is not noticeably different than on the regular SMP. I compared them side by side (pretending to compare the bezel colors to see which one I liked better, 'natch).