When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why buy a genuine?

Bidle

So I'm a rather new member. I'm more a reader, but,....

still have a question to some members. I noticed that a fair amount of members also have 'expensive' genuine watches!!!?? With 'expensive' I mean a genuine watch which costs at least a $1000,- or even more.

Why would you still buy a 'expensive' genuine watch if you are also into replica's/franken? Somehow it just doesn't make sense to me. For the same amount of money you would be able to buy a dozen of nice replica watches.

Or if you do buy a genuine why buy a replica on the side and just save up for another genuine?

Because it seems to me you are happier with a genuine watch than a replica?

Thank you for your reply and please insert in your reply if you indeed own a 'expensive' genuine watch.

For the record; just wondering and not to offend people,...

Edited by Bidle

I own gens as over the past 10 years they have appreciated in value, some tremendously. I own reps for the fun of it, to try out watches I would never wind up buying the gen of, sometimes the rep leads to the gen purchase, other times it leaves me pining even more for the gen (Dewitt Academia).

Until you hold a MSRP 10-20k watch and wear it every day you will not understand the difference. It is there. I have owned tons of frankens and reps and when it comes down to it a Gen is a Gen. Everything just feels right and works right. The sound and tactile feeling of the crown being wound or the smoothness of the bracelet, or the way the dial catches the light, or the crispness of the printing, a Gen is a Gen.

That said you can build frankens that really go a long way to fix the differences to a point where its not so bad. That is kind of the route I'm starting to go on. I have my gen watches that I enjoy and with my extra money I will screw around with reps/frankens.

• Like 1

This is the eternal question... One that only each individual can answer his/her own. I started with a gen, decided to own a bunch of reps instead and have now fallen into the state where I own a mix of each. Not sure what step this is on our 12-step watch addiction program but that's where I'm at. It's crazy, I admit it. But those little things that bug us are what make us seek the best Franken out there. If all else fails, go gen.

I own gens as over the past 10 years they have appreciated in value, some tremendously. I own reps for the fun of it, to try out watches I would never wind up buying the gen of, sometimes the rep leads to the gen purchase, other times it leaves me pining even more for the gen (Dewitt Academia).

Until you hold a MSRP 10-20k watch and wear it every day you will not understand the difference. It is there. I have owned tons of frankens and reps and when it comes down to it a Gen is a Gen. Everything just feels right and works right. The sound and tactile feeling of the crown being wound or the smoothness of the bracelet, or the way the dial catches the light, or the crispness of the printing, a Gen is a Gen.

That said you can build frankens that really go a long way to fix the differences to a point where its not so bad. That is kind of the route I'm starting to go on. I have my gen watches that I enjoy and with my extra money I will screw around with reps/frankens.

Thx for your answer!!

I totally agree with "a Gen is a Gen"!

The way you look at the reps makes more sense to me.

Sometimes it just seems that members put the reps and gens on the same 'level' Which I can't understand if people own both reps and gens.

Genuine watches are built/finished better than reps. Also, rep watches generally come with used/unserviced movements, so unless you have your new rep professionally overhauled upon its arrival, its accuracy & lifespan may be limited. Further, contrary to many sellers' hyperbole, no rep that I am aware of is 100% or an exact copy of its genuine counterpart, which means that an astute collector will be able to spot a rep & ID its wearer as a poseur.

In my case, I tend to build frankens (watches that are constructed out of genuine spares or parts from various other watches) of watches whose values reach into the stratosphere & buy gens otherwise. For example, current prices for Double Red Sea Dwellers run from $25k-$40k, so I built a (gen-powered) franken. On the other hand, current prices for 80s Datejusts run around $4k-$8k, which is affordable, so I went gen.

pre-sandy16650032__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

rolex_wristie0062__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

• Like 1

This is the eternal question... One that only each individual can answer his/her own. I started with a gen, decided to own a bunch of reps instead and have now fallen into the state where I own a mix of each. Not sure what step this is on our 12-step watch addiction program but that's where I'm at. It's crazy, I admit it. But those little things that bug us are what make us seek the best Franken out there. If all else fails, go gen.

Thx for your answer,

You are right it is a personal opinion and everybody has the right to have one! I'm just interested in the opinions in this particular case!

Why did you decided to buy reps and mix it up?? Was it so you are able to change the watch you wear more often?

I like both. I would not pay over 5K for a watch so what ever I can afford within that range I will buy depending on how much I like it. I have learnt alot here on RWG and have become very aware of what is a rep and what is gen. I tend to wear both types without any prejudice. 

Genuine watches are built/finished better than reps. Also, rep watches generally come with used/unserviced movements, so unless you have your new rep professionally overhauled upon its arrival, it's accuracy & lifespan may be limited. In my case, I tend to build frankens (watches that are constructed out of spare or parts from various other watches - gen or rep) of watches whose values reach into the stratosphere & buy gens otherwise. For example, current prices for Double Red Sea Dwellers run from $25k-$40k, so I built a franken. On the other hand, current prices for 80s Datejusts run around $4k-$8k, so I buy or build gens.

Thank you for your answer!

So if I understand correctly it is a matter of price?? If you could afford a real DRSD you would buy the real thing?

And if you weren't able to buy a DateJust you would buy a rep/frank.

Why just not buy both reps,... most won't notice the difference. You might even also be able to built/buy a rep vintage Milgauss. Or is it because you know it is a rep.

Maybe a 'stupid' example,... but when I own a nice vase and there is a small crack in it. I don't want it anymore. Even though I can't see it as it is on the backside.

Edited by Bidle

It is more a matter of value than price, though, for non-billionaires like myself, price is certainly an issue. I just cannot rationalize spending uber amounts of money on a collectible whose value is market-based. While Rolex has historically been a very safe investment, there is no guarantee that the $100k you spend on a nice Newman Daytona today will be worth that much tomorrow.
Why not just buy reps? Again, because I appreciate quality & would prefer not to be seen as a poseur, if I can avoid it (even if I am acting like 1).

• Like 1

It is more a matter of value than price, though, for non-billionaires like myself, price is certainly an issue. I just cannot rationalize spending uber amounts of money on a collectible whose value is market-based. While Rolex has historically been a very safe investment, there is no guarantee that the $100k you spend on a nice Newman Daytona today will be worth that much tomorrow.

Why not just buy reps? Again, because I appreciate quality & would prefer not to be seen as a poseur, if I can avoid it (even if I am acting like 1).

Thx, I understand.

Indeed recent history showed us a drop in value for most vintage Rolex models. Also it is a kind of a myth we all believe in. Probably most steel Daytona's are just laying in a safe.

I do like watches but never looked at them as an investment. Maybe also because I buy to wear and not planning on sell them. Of-course Sometimes I do sell a watch, but not as often as my other half wishes. ;-)

Edited by Bidle

I like both. I would not pay over 5K for a watch so what ever I can afford within that range I will buy depending on how much I like it. I have learnt alot here on RWG and have become very aware of what is a rep and what is gen. I tend to wear both types without any prejudice.

Thx, do agree there is some valuable info on this forum. That's the reason why I became a member.

I own both and treat them all the same, to me they are just watches. I tend not to own Reps of a watch that I couldn't afford to own (to be fair I couldn't afford the collection I have if they were all gen either) and this is a way to own all of the watches that I want to own without spending an absurd amount of money. There is a definite difference in quality, maybe not to the lay person, but it is tangible and can sometimes justify the sticker price.

I am eyeing up a new Aqua Terra at this time my eye is focused on the gen at 4k+. Knowing that a rep may be coming in very short time and that it could be a very good rep I am going to wait, If the rep is as bad as the current ones I'll look harder at a gen. Some gens have never been repped well and if I want it, I have to go gen, that's just the way it goes.

I own both and treat them all the same, to me they are just watches. I tend not to own Reps of a watch that I couldn't afford to own (to be fair I couldn't afford the collection I have if they were all gen either) and this is a way to own all of the watches that I want to own without spending an absurd amount of money. There is a definite difference in quality, maybe not to the lay person, but it is tangible and can sometimes justify the sticker price.

I am eyeing up a new Aqua Terra at this time my eye is focused on the gen at 4k+. Knowing that a rep may be coming in very short time and that it could be a very good rep I am going to wait, If the rep is as bad as the current ones I'll look harder at a gen. Some gens have never been repped well and if I want it, I have to go gen, that's just the way it goes.

Also like the Omega; nice choice!

But as you mention there is a definite difference in quality! Why would you settle for a rep if it looks like it? Especially if you can afford the 'real deal'!?

I used to buy gen's but I was bored. I would frequently take my recently acquired gen and trade it in for something else or sell it to fund another gen. I got into reps during a time in my life where I couldn't afford a gen or the gens that I was used to wearing anyhow. So to keep up appearances I got a few reps but quickly realized how enjoyable it was. I found this place which was like an oasis in the desert, I learned a lot. When I got back on my feet financially, I came to the realization that I had absolutely no desire to walk into a store and plop down too much money for something that I would probably end up trading or selling at a loss most likely. I now make my own reps using some gen parts and some replica parts, it's 400x more satisfying and I tend to really want to hang onto something that I made, that I sourced parts for and researched for days on end. It really is an amazing feeling. I have purchased a gen or two since but it's not the same, not even close. No pride, no personal attachment to it.. Etc. I guess it all comes down to personal preference, but when you get to the point that most of us eventually get to and can build your own watch its a beautiful thing.

• Like 1

Why would you settle for a rep if it looks like it? Especially if you can afford the 'real deal'!?

Sometimes the real deal isn't worth it.  This is especially true in the Panerai world, where a good number of their watches have very basic, off-the-shelf movements.  Sure, I could afford to get a real one, but it wouldn't be functionally really any different than a good rep, even in terms of water resistance and lume quality.

A good part of the fun of reps is the correcting the minutiae.  Spotting a tiny difference in crown-guard shape or lug shape and then going through the painstaking work of correcting it is fun.

You start with a bracelet swap, then a crown swap, then a movement/dial/hand swap, then the next thing you know, you've got your mid-case on a lathe re-shaping the whole thing.  That's fun.

To be honest... I'm repped out for a while. I just lose too much money on reselling reps. I'm pretty much broke even on flipping gens so while the the price to enter is higher.. As long as you buy at a fair price it's likely you will lose little if any at all. And at times even profit which I have done on a couple.

Plus... There are definite quality differences between even the super high end frankens with their gen counterpart or gens in the same price range. Just because it "looks" 99% the part doesn't mean it functions or feels the same.

• Like 1

Sometimes the real deal isn't worth it. This is especially true in the Panerai world, where a good number of their watches have very basic, off-the-shelf movements. Sure, I could afford to get a real one, but it wouldn't be functionally really any different than a good rep, even in terms of water resistance and lume quality.

A good part of the fun of reps is the correcting the minutiae. Spotting a tiny difference in crown-guard shape or lug shape and then going through the painstaking work of correcting it is fun.

You start with a bracelet swap, then a crown swap, then a movement/dial/hand swap, then the next thing you know, you've got your mid-case on a lathe re-shaping the whole thing. That's fun.

Hmmmm, yes I agree on a particular level.

And even the new Panerai movements which are manufactured at ETA. Which are so called manufactura!?? The old ones with unfinished Unitas are indeed unbelievable, but still original. Indeed overpriced, but so is IWC and manny other brands.

On the other hand when is it 'worth it'? It has a lot to do with emotion and for some people just to pay more than a $100,- for a watch is not worth it. It's just a luxury article.

I also can understand someone would like the challenge to built a replica.

Edited by Bidle

Thx for your answer,

You are right it is a personal opinion and everybody has the right to have one! I'm just interested in the opinions in this particular case!

Why did you decided to buy reps and mix it up?? Was it so you are able to change the watch you wear more often?

Like others have said, I could never afford a vintage Daytona or a Double red. So I either built them or bought super Frankens. For some reason. I prefer gen Rolex movements in my vintage pieces but have a few modern Rolex with Swiss movements. The gens are purchased only because they are somewhat affordable and cannot be adequately repped. For example, the GMT Master. I cannot love with the ICHS so purchased the gen.

Yes of-course, that's why I'm asking for their reasoning out of interest. :-)

Myself, personally, having owned several gens in my past, but with things such as life, I had to let them go, and now, not being the high flier I once was, I cannot afford several gens, so I got into the rep game.  It was several years ago I first started, then life got in the way again with work, and long story short, now semi-retired, left UK and now living in Finland, I have more time on my hands, and getting back into my pastime and loving it.

I have the support of my wife too, which is a bonus. ;)

Regarding frankening, I am in the process of frankening a 7750 Tag Carrera Day Date with gen parts.  All these parts cost over €1000, and the genuine watch only retails new for just under €5k, so you may have the question why?  Well, its part of the fun/thrill of this hobby, I'm a tinkerer, love watches, and love fixing things like misaligned indices and whatnot.

Anyhow, I'm rambling on, I'll get me coat lol

Myself, personally, having owned several gens in my past, but with things such as life, I had to let them go, and now, not being the high flier I once was, I cannot afford several gens, so I got into the rep game. It was several years ago I first started, then life got in the way again with work, and long story short, now semi-retired, left UK and now living in Finland, I have more time on my hands, and getting back into my pastime and loving it.

I have the support of my wife too, which is a bonus. ;)

Regarding frankening, I am in the process of frankening a 7750 Tag Carrera Day Date with gen parts. All these parts cost over €1000, and the genuine watch only retails new for just under €5k, so you may have the question why? Well, its part of the fun/thrill of this hobby, I'm a tinkerer, love watches, and love fixing things like misaligned indices and whatnot.

Anyhow, I'm rambling on, I'll get me coat lol

Sorry to read life got in away with work, but also good to read you rediscovered your passion!!

I can imagine it is a nice time spend to work on a Franken. Maybe in a later state you can try to restore a nice vintage watch!

In the mean time good luck with the TAG.

• Like 1

For me what folks like to call gen watches tend to be overpriced efforts in branding. I own plenty of "gen" watches like Sinn or Seiko that are amazing watches where the price is justified, and you aren't just paying for the Rolex name. I own reps of name brands because the brand name alone just isn't worth thousands.

I also own vintage gen watches, and those are amazing deals. My century old Walthams, Hamiltons, Stowas etc are built better than most modern reps and cost less too. Plus those really have some history and class to them.

Can you tell wich is gen and wich is rep?

here is the tell: http://www.techeblog.com/elephant/photo.phtml?post_key=145896&photo_key=6225

then hit next pic ;)

No I can't but than I'm not a car enthusiast, but nice input.

Still I would probably leave it with the poster on my boys-room and not drive a kit-car. Only because I would know it is not the real thing From my dreams.

Edited by Bidle