When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Traveling with a Rep and the TSA

JoeyB

I've related the story before, I was wearing my 16710 'Retro' from Joshua a few years ago and went to court and the guard told me to come through the metal detector with the watch on. He said real stainless steel Rolex watches go through without setting off the machine. It went through, no alarm.  A few years later, in 2009, I bought the 116710 GMT ceramic from Mary at WatchInternational, the 'Z' serial number, and tried it at the TSA inspection at O'Hare Airport, LAX and Honolulu International. It went through every time, no alarm.  OK, so it's old news. The GMT-c is my travel watch, just in case it gets 'lost' somehow. A little over two weeks ago it went through TSA at O'Hare as usual, the guy even looked at it and waved me through. But last Saturday on the way home there was a difference. Honolulu International was on a heightened security alert, and everyone had to go through the full body scan machine. I had never had to do one of those, but I took the chance with the watch. It, and I, went through with no problem, no alarms at all. I haven't done any modding to the watch, except regulate the ETA2836-2 (it gained 17 seconds in two weeks, didn't need to wind it, and didn't wear it sleeping or at the beach), seal the gaskets and added the Glide-Lock clasp. Not bad, I think, for a headache free watch.

post-16926-0-11739000-1369108518_thumb.j

Edited by JoeyB

Gaghhhhhh!!!

Hey wait a minute that's a non-sequitur. I'm a scientist too and I don't need no stinking Daytona.

Okay we'll show him, send ME the tropical dial and I'll make sure it's in the photo next time I'm published. ;)

This is the kid you just put through college in Hawaii?

Just between you me and the fence post, the only words outta be coming out of his mouth are "thanks Pa!" Oh, and "thanks for the Big Crown!"

Warning: acerbic commentary from an acerbic observer! Feel free to ignore.

It has nothing to do wether it's a gen Rolex or a rep. Speaking of airports; some security guard tell me to put off the watch before I even went through metal detector, some don't.

In fact it is possible to adjust the sensibility of these metal detectors, so some can beep when you have your watch on, some do not.

Congratulations to your son for finishing four grueling years of academic study in that hell hole Hawaii :partytime:  What a terrible place to be exiled to for all those years. I'm sure you are a proud Pop, and well you should be. I'm firmly in nanug's camp on this one, all he should be saying now is Dad, thanks a million times over for providing me with a good education. Nice thing is once they are out of College and earning a paycheck, you might not have them off your payroll, but you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it probably isn't a locomotive!!

It has nothing to do wether it's a gen Rolex or a rep. Speaking of airports; some security guard tell me to put off the watch before I even went through metal detector, some don't.

In fact it is possible to adjust the sensibility of these metal detectors, so some can beep when you have your watch on, some do not.

^ This

When I go to work, sometimes I have to take my belt off, sometimes not.  Depends on how sensitive they've got the metal detectors.  As far as the body scanners go, they work in multiple ways usually just in metal and x-ray mode.  Ever felt air being puffed on you in one of these?  Sniffing for explosive agents. 

99% of the time, they've got the metal detection toned down enough for basic jewelery and watches to go through without needing to be removed, too much theft happens otherwise.

I can tell you in New York they are way too occupied with other concerns to care about a rep watch. I have gone in and out dozens of time with anywhere from one on the wrist to one on and two in a nice case. The only time I have gotten a comment was nice watches when a guard opened the case in my carry on.

Joey, the bezel on your GMT, it's stock?

Looks really nice, the number cutouts are deep and thick.

I have a recent GMT from Joshua and can't stand the bezel markers, so thin and anemic.

This is the kid you just put through college in Hawaii?

Just between you me and the fence post, the only words outta be coming out of his mouth are "thanks Pa!" Oh, and "thanks for the Big Crown!"

Warning: acerbic commentary from an acerbic observer! Feel free to ignore.

Yep, and he did. He's a really fine man now. But he does love freddy's Daytona!

Congratulations to your son for finishing four grueling years of academic study in that hell hole Hawaii :partytime:  What a terrible place to be exiled to for all those years.

Yes, a dirty, thankless job, but someone had to do it!

I'm sure you are a proud Pop, and well you should be.

Very much so! Thanks!

Joey, the bezel on your GMT, it's stock?

Looks really nice, the number cutouts are deep and thick.

I have a recent GMT from Joshua and can't stand the bezel markers, so thin and anemic.

Yep, just the way I got it. I had planned to change the color of the engraving and get a gen crystal for that 'black hole' but never got around to it. 

I have no clue how the metal detectors work, except that they can increase and decrease sensitivity. The guard told me that Stainless Rolex watches will go through undetected, but the gold Rolex will not. I know that the sterling silver religious medal and chain I wear sets the machine off when the watch doesn't.  

Yep, and he did. He's a really fine man now. But he does love freddy's Daytona!

Naturally, who wouldn't!!  Freddy makes nice stuff.  :tu:

I'm sorry for going off last night with my acerbic comments.  Congratulations to the proud papa!

Naturally, who wouldn't!!  Freddy makes nice stuff.  :tu:

I'm sorry for going off last night with my acerbic comments.  Congratulations to the proud papa!

No need, and don't you dare apologize. We were having fun and it was meant and taken just that way. I think I know you well enough to say that I know when you are teasing. I love to do that too. 

Besides, he's a 'new' Man. I outlined last weekend for his homecoming, and told him that last Sunday we'd do the whole family thing at Grandma's, he'd get to show off a bit (and me show off a lot!). Then I told him that bright and early on Monday morning the party is "Ovah!!", you're on your own, get your 6 out and get a job!! 

It's what men do... :rolleyes:

Edited by JoeyB

I've gone through with a all gold gen in my bag. They wanted to look at it, said they can "see" through the gold. I wear a rep frequently on trips, no one has ever questioned the watch. I do usually take it off, seems like the airports I use all have body scanners.

Our local airport must have the scanners dialed up to the highest setting, of course they are only handling one or two flights and hour, so the line is never really long. You have to remove everything metal , or it will set the detector off. Belt, change, watch, all go in the basket and through the conveyor for screening.

Hahah what if he said "hey buddy! That's an ETA! Not a Rolex movement!"

But only after he has a warrent to open it and a rolex trained watchsmith there to do the opening.

seriosly guys customs have for more to worry about then noticing that your cyclops is 2.5x and not 2.3x

It's not a question of if it's a rep or not, or how sensitive the setting is on the machine. It's a metal detector that is supposed to alarm when it detects metal worn on the body going through the arch. If it detects a medal and chain but not the watch, something else is the reason. If the security people know a gen Rolex will go through undetected, our reps going through is a nice bonus.