When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6mm 24-600 and cousins 24-6000 tube, why doesn't it fit?

denimhead

Greatly appreciate any imput into my dilema regarding this crown not fitting a cousins tube. The crown was bought as a 24-600 so i bought a 24-6000 tube from cousins. The crown inner is too wide to pass through the tube. Have I bought something else here guys? 

Cheers DH

post-12988-0-48909600-1372084540_thumb.j

post-12988-0-30342600-1372084565_thumb.j

So the tube doesnt fit the case? or does the crown not fit the tube?

Hi M,

The crown won't go through the tube. The inner diameter is too small, I wondered about fixing it in place with the spine tool then drilling out the middle. Not the best solution but I'm not happy about having to buy another Gen Crown

If the gen doesnt fit then you have the wrong tube. The tubes are made exact gen specs. Ive used them on tons of builds and never had a problem. Contact Gary (clarks) and ask what type of tube you need and he'll let oyu know. 

Weird Mike as the tube is from Cousins here in the UK is Made to Gen spec as well. Is this a 24-600 or something else?

Which tube did you order?

As far as I know the 24-6000 should have the teeth for the tube tool in the upper part of the tube for the bigger tube tool, the older tubes are like yours with the teeth down there.

Maybe thats the reason...

I have ordered a 24-6000 form cousins and it looked different, like I described it.

When broaching an old style case tube, be careful not to cut any more metal from inside the tube than needed for the crown to pass in and out of setting/winding position and set/wind the watch without binding. If you remove too much metal, the tube may break if you bump the crown on a door frame etc.

A 'cutting broach' has splines for removing metal.

A 'smoothing broach' has no splines, they are smooth for finishing jewel holes etc.

No need to smooth broach a case tube unless it has rough spots or needs a very slight bit more clearance. It is good practice of course but very few go to the trouble.

yup, definitely need to broach the tube. I've had to do this recently for a 1665 build and also on the 700 crown tube I received from Phong. Broaches are pretty cheap from Cousins. Although I wouldn't use a smoothing broach, I would have thought a cutting broach better for the job?

The problem with my combo is that the crown don’t screw in properly.  It doesn’t stop screwing in the tube. It seems like the crown or the tube’s thread is damaged, so now I don't know if the problem is in the thread of the gen crown or in the aftermarket tube. Now I don't know if the problem is in the thread of crown or in the thread of the tube...  :wounded1: 

It looks gen, as best as I can tell with poor quality pics. If you post a good, clear macro pic of the rear (underside) of the crown, I can give you a more definite answer. Keep in mind that there are 3 different versions of the 6mm Twinlock & the inner spring/tube components of 2 of them had different diameters. The only way to know for sure if you have a matched pair is to see if they fit together.